Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Hockey Widow »

For $800,000 more they could have had Luongo for next to nothing. Go figure.

Sounds like the Flyers were the only team to offer him a 5 year term. Montreal and Dallas were willing to go 3 years.

Look to Philly to make some trades if they can.
The only HW the Canucks need
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Strangelove wrote:
SKYO wrote:Lecavalier is now a Flyer.

Holmgren is like fuck the cap, I'm all in.

It's a five-year contract worth $4.5 million per season, or $22.5 million.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/7 ... gency-2013
That's a GREAT DEAL for the Flyers (my second-favorite team). :thumbs:

They still need a #1 goalie, but they have an extra forward and an extra dee.

Expect another blockbuster deal from the City of Brotherly Love. :mex:
The deal is good cap wise right now - not so much in 2 or 3 years when Vinny is in his late 30's. The Flyers need D and a goalie, not another forward. As you said though, they have some assets to move if needed and they can always sign a goalie. They badly need one as Mason is the worst goalie in the league, aside from maybe Dipietro (who will be out of the league very soon). Their D is horrid, especially if they trade Coburn as rumoured. I still wonder if they might be in on Edler, they badly need D now and it will be worse if Coburn goes.

My question is what are they going to do with all the centres? They have Vinny, Schenn, Couturier, Giroux (plays mostly wing now I know), Talbot and Laughton waiting in the wings. Lots of centres, not that it's a bad thing.

They'd better do something right this year because their prospect pool is awful, and they have some big contracts to extend next year.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:For $800,000 more they could have had Luongo for next to nothing. Go figure.

Sounds like the Flyers were the only team to offer him a 5 year term. Montreal and Dallas were willing to go 3 years.

Look to Philly to make some trades if they can.
Philly, Boston, Pittsburgh, maybe the Kings all looking at potential trades to cut cap. There should be some. One meant in the next couple of days, hopefully Gllis can get in on a fire sale or two. With Ballard gone there's a little room, not much mind you but a couple of million can get you a solid player.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I've seen this statistic on the twitterverse this afternoon; since 2007, the Flyers have signed 61 years and $375M worth of contracts on six players who won't play for them this coming year.

If true...wow!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Diehard1 wrote: The deal is good cap wise right now - not so much in 2 or 3 years when Vinny is in his late 30's.
Meh... IF... he sucks, buy him out 3 years from now.

Cap hit from that would be spread out over 4 years: $2.5mil, $2.5mil, $1mil, $1mil.

No biggie with the salary cap going up up UP.

Meanwhile they add a great player in Vinnie at a good cap hit in the here & now.
Diehard1 wrote: Their D is horrid
I wouldn't say "horrid".

"Average" is more like it.

They were severely banged up last year and they had to deal with Bryz.

When healthy (and don't forget they added Streit) they're not that bad.

Of course I put more stock in Schenn than most.

They DO need a true number one dee, but so do a lot of teams.

They have a lot of depth on dee, it's just that number one spot that is lacking.

Too bad about Pronger wot?
Diehard1 wrote: My question is what are they going to do with all the centres?
They're gonna trade a centre + depth-dee for a top defenseman.... then sign Tim Thomas.

You heard it here first! :mrgreen:

They do have cap-room despite what most are saying...
Diehard1 wrote: They'd better do something right this year because their prospect pool is awful, and they have some big contracts to extend next year.
Their prospect pool IS awful, but they will have no problems re-signing their RFAs

($11mil coming off the books and the cap is going UP).
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya the Flyers will find a way. Too bad Edler's no trade kicked in :mrgreen: Hey maybe they will trade Ballard to the Flyers. Ya think?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:Ya the Flyers will find a way. Too bad Edler's no trade kicked in :mrgreen: Hey maybe they will trade Ballard to the Flyers. Ya think?
For what?

The Flyers are strapped now. Edler's $5M or Ballard's $4M aren't salaries they'll be taking on.....
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Ya the Flyers will find a way. Too bad Edler's no trade kicked in :mrgreen: Hey maybe they will trade Ballard to the Flyers. Ya think?
For what?

The Flyers are strapped now. Edler's $5M or Ballard's $4M aren't salaries they'll be taking on.....

Mëds we can help them with that. They take Ballard's 4.2 or whatever it is and we take Luke Schenn and that Coutierierierierieir kid. Math works. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: In fact they would save money in the deal.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

The Flyers are strapped but not really with Prongers $5 mil a year counting towards the cap. He'll never play again. They might not be able to use the LTIR space (if he isn't on the roster to begin the season), but they have room right now despite what capgeek thinks. (capgeek I think also has them at a 25 man roster right now)

Of course they have no goaltending.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

tantalum wrote:The Flyers are strapped but not really with Prongers $5 mil a year counting towards the cap. He'll never play again. They might not be able to use the LTIR space (if he isn't on the roster to begin the season), but they have room right now despite what capgeek thinks. (capgeek I think also has them at a 25 man roster right now)

Of course they have no goaltending.
That's been the Flyers' MO ever since Hextall, why change now?

It must kill them to be reminded of Bobrovski's Vezina trophy and the amount they will be paying Bryzgalov for years. How everybody slags Gillis while Holmgren gets a free pass, I'll never know.

If I were the league, I'd be sending some independent docs to do their own examination of Pronger. The guy looked pretty bright-eyed and bushy-tailed when interviewed at the draft. Cap circumvention anyone???? But wait, who's a bum-buddy of Bettman in a key league market? That's right... never gonna happen... :scowl:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

If Pronger could play he would. 6 months ago he was still experiencing severe symptoms. I believe the last part of the year he was able to do some local scouting activities for the Flyers. It is doubtful he'll ever play again as he is one hit away from being an even bigger vegetable than he has been his whole life. I figure at some point the NHL will have to step in and say, fine he can't play again but using him as a LTIR buffer ain't gonna happen anymore.

You know the Flyer thinking on goaltenders right now is: Fine Columbus we gave you a Vezina winner but now you have given us one! And a year from now we'll again be talking about how the Flyers still don't have goaltender that isn't a sieve.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion ... izona.html

Looks like the Phoenix Coyotes will be staying in Phoenix for the forseeable future.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Also, Pascal Dupuis got a four year $15m contract covering his 33-37 year old seasons.

Smacks of "keeping the band together" to me, and makes Alex Burrows' extension look okay by comparison.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

tantalum wrote:It is doubtful he'll ever play again as he is one hit away from being an even bigger vegetable than he has been his whole life. I figure at some point the NHL will have to step in and say, fine he can't play again but using him as a LTIR buffer ain't gonna happen anymore.
That's fine but what are they going to do, force him to retire officially? I think that will open up a huge can of worms because my understanding is the Flyers screwed up when they signed him and he's on a 35+ contract. I'm pretty sure that means they have to carry his cap hit.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

BurningBeard wrote:
tantalum wrote:It is doubtful he'll ever play again as he is one hit away from being an even bigger vegetable than he has been his whole life. I figure at some point the NHL will have to step in and say, fine he can't play again but using him as a LTIR buffer ain't gonna happen anymore.
That's fine but what are they going to do, force him to retire officially? I think that will open up a huge can of worms because my understanding is the Flyers screwed up when they signed him and he's on a 35+ contract. I'm pretty sure that means they have to carry his cap hit.
That's what is so weird about cap circumvention. Clearly the Flyers are circumventing the cap by keeping a retired player on LTIR.

Clearly the Islanders are circumventing the cap when they trade for, then suspend, then don't pay Tim Thomas but use a loophole to have it count against the cap floor.

And of course if Roberto gets "injured" and tries to stay on LTIR to end his contract, there will be hell to pay for the Canucks in spite of the terrible precedent set by the League.