Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Per »

Too bad Boston got their hands on Eriksson. He looked really good with the twins at the world championship.
I was hoping he could be BC bound. :(
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Good for Ballard. Obviously there is one GM out there who still wants him, just not @ $4.2m per year.
Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib
Two-year, $3 million deal for Keith Ballard with #mnwild
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Now the trade between Boston/Dallas is a blockbuster.

Makes everything MG has done look like chump change. Also Boston is not worried about changing the core when needed, again not something MG would ever do.

Yes I understand these deals don't happen a lot and you need 2 teams to tangle, yada yada yada.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Seems to me that Seguin might have got a case of the Hodgson's or something. You know thinking he deserves promotion up through the lineup despite his play.

I also don't think he was a part of the core just yet and they clearly decided that they weren't sure he could be a part of the true core this upcoming season. With his $5.75 mil price tag not being part of the core simply wasn't an option.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Reefer2 wrote:Now the trade between Boston/Dallas is a blockbuster.

Makes everything MG has done look like chump change. Also Boston is not worried about changing the core when needed, again not something MG would ever do.

Yes I understand these deals don't happen a lot and you need 2 teams to tangle, yada yada yada.
Well Boston just traded a $5.7M 60 point guy with an attitude (allegedly) to Dallas and got a $4.2M 70 point guy who has a great reputation.

They also dumped a 3rd/4th line centerman who put up 2 points and was a -10 in the playoffs this year. Tossed in a former 3rd round pick and got 3 prospects in return, two of them being former 1st and 3rd round picks.

Boston also has the added bonus of having some very desirable assets throughout the lineup that were NOT already inked to deals that included NTC's. Even with this trade, the oldest player in their top 9 is Chris Kelly, and he's 32, Paille is 29, everyone else is 27 or younger. This trade does not hurt Boston's future, and when you consider Jagr's age, and Horton's departure, then you realize that Boston's key wingers on the right side are pretty weak. Lucic, Marchand, Paille, and Thronton fill out the left side, only 2 of those guys work in the top 6. They are going to have to re-sign Rask and probably need to add one more top 6 winger, and maybe a depth forward and NHL ready 6/7 guy on the blueline. They have $9M worth of cap space to work with right now, Rask will eat at least $4.5M of that, probably closer to $5.5M. They might just find themselves feeling a bit thin up front next year, even with Eriksson.

Lucic - Krejci - Eriksson
Marchand - Bergeron - _______
Paille - Kelly - _______
Thornton - Campbell - _______

They have Soderberg, Caron, and a few others, that haven't seen much NHL action yet.

That's going to be a tough roster to fill out, and I'm thinking they are hoping that either Joe Morrow and Reilly Smith might be ready for spots. Caron and Morrow are both former 1st round picks, so they should be close to being ready to contribute.

The Bruins did what any smart team in their position would do, the made a small future sacrifice in letting Seguin go, gave up some depth, and got a return that adds to their speed and offense, and perhaps some young players who might be ready to replace the depth they lost, if not now then probably next year, and in the future both Morrow and Smith could potentially push for regular spots on the 2nd and 3rd line.

I WISH we had some of the signed depth that Gillis could have moved out like that, but we don't. Our bottom 6 was fairly undesirable outside of Hansen, and most of them were RFA/UFA.

Gillis bargaining chips were Schneider, Edler, Burrows, Hansen, and Tanev. Edler and Burrows aren't easy bargaining chips any more. So he missed that window of opportunity. He could have made a real splash with Edler and Hansen in a package, something akin to what the Bruins and Stars just did.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

The Stars, meanwhile, have turned around and acquired Shawn Horcoff.

Next two years they can have Peverly-Horcoff-Cole as their $13.25m third line.. the "Cost Certainty" line
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

tantalum wrote:Seems to me that Seguin might have got a case of the Hodgson's or something. You know thinking he deserves promotion up through the lineup despite his play.

I also don't think he was a part of the core just yet and they clearly decided that they weren't sure he could be a part of the true core this upcoming season. With his $5.75 mil price tag not being part of the core simply wasn't an option.
I guess people can stop ragging on the leaves for the Kessel trade now.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Looks like Alfie will be signing in Detroit.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

darren wrote:I guess people can stop ragging on the leaves for the Kessel trade now.
This doesn't really follow. To me this deal shows how immense Seguin's potential (and as a result, his trade value) is.. the Bruins moved him, dumped a $3m+ contract on the Stars in Peverly and got a very good first liner and an excellent prospect in return.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

darren wrote: I guess people can stop ragging on the leaves for the Kessel trade now.

I take Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton 11 times out of 10 over Phill Kessel. Not to mention Kessel is a UFA while the other two are cost controlled for the next several years.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 1m
Sources say Senators have acquired Bobby Ryan. Details coming. #Sens
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

$lacker wrote:Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 1m
:o

Bobby Ryan to the Ottawa Senators for Silverberg, Noesen and a 1st rd pick

Big slap to Alfredsson lol. :P
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

SKYO wrote:
$lacker wrote:Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 1m
:o

Bobby Ryan to the Ottawa Senators for Silverberg, Noesen and a 1st rd pick

Big slap to Alfredsson lol. :P
I guess that's why they were trying to get him to take a haircut on his next year.

No knocking a guy who wants to cash in on his last contract, but having Alfredsson with the likes of Ryan would definitely be worth it for him to stick around to see how far they can go.

Ottawa will be an interesting team to watch next season.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Love the Ryan trade. Goods hockey trade for both teams.
The only HW the Canucks need
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

*sigh *
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….