Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by SKYO »

herb wrote:
SKYO wrote:On the same token, you can't have a team full of pussies either and expect to steam roll over teams, can't win a cup without some size and grit on your DEPTH lines, these muckers provide that.
Ya know, it is possible to have guys who aren't pussies who are also not terrible NHL hockey players. Alberts and Sestito do not fit that description.

You say teams don't think Alberts and Sestito are fun to play against? I disagree. I bet teams LOVE when we dress Alberts and Sestito because it's basically a power play for them when either of these guys is on the ice.

Alberts has always taken bad penalties, whether they be in the pre-season, regular season or post season. I don't expect that to change.
Lest ye forget how we got dismantled the last three playoffs by bigger teams, not to mention we are in a new division full of bigger sized teams.
So with that I would like having large players who can crash and bang with the best of em on our 4th line and bottom pairing defense, which is what I am referring to ‘not fun to play against’ with the fierce battles along the boards etc.

We have Edler, Bieksa, Garrison, Hamhuis who can play above average offensively, Tanev and Corrado are smart with the puck but most of them have varying skill sets, but we’d like them to stay relatively healthy and not be trying to throw voracious body checks, especially with Edler’s back.
Bieksa is just gritty defensively. Garrison plays an all round game, Hammy is an intelligent dman, which leaves Alberts being our only dman who can throw walloping body checks, plus he’s only making 600K! sheesh!

Alberts is standing out right now due to the preseason where we are not icing a full defensive corps, so he’s getting way more ice time than he should. This was noticed the past few season’s when Alberts gets a lot of minutes is when he’s more prone to make mistakes and get noticed for the wrong reasons, when Alberts is behind 5 dmen is when AA is more than adequate and in his comfort zone!

Sestito has gotten better, he’s even starting to pot some goals now to go along with his gritty play.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

BigTuna wrote:He's a good player. But at this point he's really hurting his career. All that momentum he picked-up from his play last season is going down the toilet.

Yeah, because skills fade quickly at age 26... :roll:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

herb wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Same could be said about Alberts. :|
Yes.

Dump them both as far as I am concerned. This training camp should have been a tryout for both, and they have both failed miserably.
Hey.. they are cheap and BIG :) both 6'5" tall.. Alberts is our most physical Dman.. and has not been a bad addition to the D in the last couple years.. Sestito is still young (25) and can play hockey ( a little ) :) We need to increase size and the "cap" limits us severely on the 3rd and 4th line.. Gotta have a couple big Tomcats on Team Pussy.. !!
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.

Cody Franson signs for 1 year at $2 mill
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Strangelove wrote:
BigTuna wrote: Franson isn't gone at all. Neither is Liles.
Perhaps you'd like to explain to the salary cap hockey world how they're gonna keep those two + Kadri. :mrgreen:
Apparently they can :lol:
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Mëds wrote:
Oh I've been listening it's just an opinion that is wrong. You believe Reimer had some out-of-nowhere fluke season, when in fact he had the same season as a rookie two years ago. Two of his first 3 NHL seasons have sen him post over .920 save% He's a very good young goalie.

And Bernier had great numbers himself last season and is an improvement over Scrivens.

Last season:
James Reimer 33 76 2.46 995 .924 4
Jonathan Bernier 14 24 1.88 306 .922 1

And their both only 25 years-old. The leaves are set for years in net with two of the better young goalies in the NHL.
Reimer hasn't even played a full season yet. 37 games is the most he's seen at the NHL level. He's unproven.

Toronto's success or failure does not rest in the crease. It hinges on their weak blueline and paltry talent at center.

Bozak
Kadri
Bolland
McClement
Smith
Van Riemsdyk

They are banking heavily on Bozak taking the next step the way Kesler did around the same age. But Bozak hasn't had the luxury of being surrounded by the same level if skill and experience that Kes had.

Kadri remains unsigned and they are going to have to move someone or let Franson go to keep Kadri.

Bolland is apparently going to be asked to play a top 2 center role now. Nonis is counting on a guy who has benefited from playing with some of the most talented forwards in the league, as a third line shutdown center, to be able to step up and be a key piece of the offensive strategy and move into a scoring role. Good luck with that.

McClement is a serviceable fourth liner at best.

Trevor Smith is a 28 year old with 24 games of NHL experience.

Hmmmm.....definitely a powerhouse in the making down the middle. Let's look at the blueline now.

Phaneuf
Liles
Ranger
Fraser
Gunnarsson
Gardiner
Marshall
Brennan
Franson

Phaneuf is an overpaid top 3 dman. He's like a more physically dynamic version of Edler but even more inconsistent mentally. The leaves think he's their best choice for captain and anchor on the back end.

Lilies is washed up and small.

Ranger is a reclamation project.

Fraser is a physical stay home guy who is reliable in the #6 spot.

Gunnarsson, welli don't know much about him, but his stats aren't exactly spectacular. I'm guessing his a bottom pairing guy, a number 4 at best.

Gardiner is still young and a bright spot on that team, but he's not going to carry the blueline.

Marshall, ummm who now? Who cares, 10 games under his belt.

Brennan, never heard of him.

Franson is unsigned and should be a priority for Nonis, he should be in their top 3, but now they have to figure out who to move, or make the decision between him and Kadri.

Nonis has totally screwed things up this off-season. He should have locked up both of his young RFAs before blowing his wad on Bozak, Bolland, and Clarkson.[/quote]

Apparently not.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Lancer wrote:
BigTuna wrote:He's a good player. But at this point he's really hurting his career. All that momentum he picked-up from his play last season is going down the toilet.

Yeah, because skills fade quickly at age 26... :roll:
That's not what I meant and Franson agreed with me.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

BladesofSteel wrote:Meanwhile, back at the ranch.

He had a great year last year. Look for more of the same precluding a huge payday next summer. The cheeseburgler wanted a multi-year deal and misses the boat. Him signing shows he wont miss any games over it and likely signals a drawn out negotiation for the next contract.
A good signing nonetheless....
If you need air...call it in
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Uncle dans leg wrote:

He had a great year last year. Look for more of the same precluding a huge payday next summer. The cheeseburgler wanted a multi-year deal and misses the boat. Him signing shows he wont miss any games over it and likely signals a drawn out negotiation for the next contract.
LOL. You're desperately reaching for huge negatives @ signing him for only 2 million. This isn't a blunder by Nonis at all. Fantastic value.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

BigTuna wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:

LOL. You're desperately reaching for huge negatives @ signing him for only 2 million. This isn't a blunder by Nonis at all. Fantastic value.
Maybe u missed the last sentence I wrote? :wow:

It was common knowledge that Nonuts wanted but didn't get term and CF signed for less just to play...where am I reaching?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

The deal marks a compromise from both sides: Toronto GM Dave Nonis was driving for a longer term deal, given the fact Franson's deal expires next summer, when the club has several key players eligible for free agency, including Dion Phaneuf, Phil Kessel, Nik Kulemin, and Jake Gardiner.
Franson won the battle on term but settled for below market value.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/20 ... leaves.html
Touchy are we? Next summer will be a blast ;)
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Uncle dans leg wrote:The deal marks a compromise from both sides: Toronto GM Dave Nonis was driving for a longer term deal, given the fact Franson's deal expires next summer, when the club has several key players eligible for free agency, including Dion Phaneuf, Phil Kessel, Nik Kulemin, and Jake Gardiner.
Franson won the battle on term but settled for below market value.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/20 ... leaves.html
Touchy are we? Next summer will be a blast ;)
You were wrong about everything this summer, so don't assume it will be a huge disaster.

The leaves are rich. The cap is going way up and they have lots of cap space.

And Jake Gardiner is RFA next summer. Not UFA.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

BigTuna wrote: You were wrong about everything this summer, so don't assume it will be a huge disaster.

What did I predict? Did I miss something here?
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
BigTuna wrote: You were wrong about everything this summer, so don't assume it will be a huge disaster.

What did I predict? Did I miss something here?
Oh come on. you never thought they'd sign both Kadri and Franson.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

BigTuna wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Next summer will be a blast ;)
You were wrong about everything this summer, so don't assume it will be a huge disaster.
:wow:

Me saying it'll be a blast doesn't indicate a huge disaster...that's all you my friend.

Why, are you worried? I mean really, really worried or something?

I wouldn't worry....that much

He'll be fine....I think :mrgreen: