Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by dbr »

As much of a tool as poster "BigTuna" acts like around these parts, never bet on an offer sheet.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

dbr wrote:As much of a tool as poster "BigTuna" acts like around these parts, never bet on an offer sheet.
Two main ingredients are missing so far:

1) The Flyers have cap problem themselves
2) Holmgren does not like Fransen much
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Ryan Jones is on waivers...too bad his cap hit is $1.5M because he would be a massive improvement over Tom Sestito on the fourth line.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

herb wrote:Ryan Jones is on waivers...too bad his cap hit is $1.5M because he would be a massive improvement over Tom Sestito on the fourth line.
I mentioned yesterday that Brad Winchester was on waivers yesterday. His cap hit is pretty much the same as Sestito. They are about the same in terms of size but at least Winchester can score a goal here and there...
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Jovocop wrote:I mentioned yesterday that Brad Winchester was on waivers yesterday. His cap hit is pretty much the same as Sestito. They are about the same in terms of size but at least Winchester can score a goal here and there...
Volpatti KO'd Winchester with one punch a couple years ago...besides,we really don't need to be getting any older.

There HAS to be a better option than Sestito, who has just been dreadful. The two year extension was a head scratcher, and now it just looks like a plain horrible move.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

herb wrote:
Jovocop wrote:I mentioned yesterday that Brad Winchester was on waivers yesterday. His cap hit is pretty much the same as Sestito. They are about the same in terms of size but at least Winchester can score a goal here and there...
Volpatti KO'd Winchester with one punch a couple years ago...besides,we really don't need to be getting any older.

There HAS to be a better option than Sestito, who has just been dreadful. The two year extension was a head scratcher, and now it just looks like a plain horrible move.
Same could be said about Alberts. :|
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Jovocop wrote:Same could be said about Alberts. :|
Yes.

Dump them both as far as I am concerned. This training camp should have been a tryout for both, and they have both failed miserably.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Sestito and Alberts are the least of our worries folks, they are just our foot soldiers, players who are not that fun to play against, as they just don't give a shit and play with grit and more grit, at bargain basement prices at that.

In a long season they will help in games where it is physical, don't you feel more comfy in those rowdy after the whistle clashes with those two mucking it up in there instead of our star players?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

I'm a bit surprised no team picked up Omark on maivers.
He has has 30 points in 65 NHL games and 47 in 46 AHL games in North America.
He had 55 points in 53 games his last season in Sweden, plus another 5 in 5 playoff games.
Last season he played in Switzerland and won their scoring title with 69 points in 48 games.

Sure, we're not talking about a superstar, but decent enough stats that it surprises me that not a single team thought he'd fit on their roster.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=4008
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

SKYO wrote:Sestito and Alberts are the least of our worries folks...
Ummm, no they're not...depth in the NHL is king. You can't have your 6/7 defenseman and 12/13 forward costing you goals and games whenever they are in the lineup.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

herb wrote:
SKYO wrote:Sestito and Alberts are the least of our worries folks...
Ummm, no they're not...depth in the NHL is king. You can't have your 6/7 defenseman and 12/13 forward costing you goals and games whenever they are in the lineup.
On the same token, you can't have a team full of pussies either and expect to steam roll over teams, can't win a cup without some size and grit on your DEPTH lines, these muckers provide that.

Alberts is playing overly aggressive in the preseason to impress the coach me thinks, he's been here for a c̶o̶u̶p̶l̶e̶ *few season's now, so you should know he calms down and is invisible most games, which is a good thing, that is when we have all our dmen healthy and he gets the minimal amount of minutes.

In addition these are not knuckle dragging goons either that a lot of you hate with a passion.
Last edited by SKYO on Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Jovocop wrote:
ESQ wrote:
BigTuna wrote: Even if he doesn't work out, it's hard to say it was a mistake for 1 million and the way he played to make the team.
Even if he costs you Franson?
Don't waste your time with him. I brought up the point yesterday and his response was:
BigTuna wrote: At this point, the leaves are moving on from Franson. Nothing good is coming from this holdout from Franson.

He's a nice player, but no team will offer-sheet him. That almost never happens.
Seriously, why wouldn't it happen?? There are nine teams with over $3.5m cap space even with a minimum of 22 man roster and six teams have over $6m. Sabres, Senators, Flames and Avalanche would have no problems signing Franson to an offer sheet that makes life miserable for Nonis. Especially the Avalanche, Sherman is probably the only team that can and will take back Liles. Basically, Sherman can really screw Nonis big time... :mrgreen:
An offer sheet is not happening. It occurs every few years and won't for Franson.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Lancer wrote:
ESQ wrote:
BigTuna wrote: Even if he doesn't work out, it's hard to say it was a mistake for 1 million and the way he played to make the team.
According to fish-head there, the organization (and/or the fans) have adopted the sour grapes approach to it. The leaves are moving on/don't want him anymore/are just not that into him - that kind of thing. I guess if you don't want to be a Leaf so bad that you'll eat shit to cover up Cheeseburglar's cap ineptitude, then the leaves and their fans don't want you. I mean, the guy was only their highest-scoring defenceman and 4th highest scorer last season, so screw him if he doesn't want to sign for $2 million/yr for 5 years or some other Nonis-friendly contract.

How to make a guy feel wanted. I hope he gets offer-sheeted no matter what picks go the other way. leaves don't deserve him.
He's a good player. But at this point he's really hurting his career. All that momentum he picked-up from his play last season is going down the toilet.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

ESQ wrote:
It won't.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

SKYO wrote:On the same token, you can't have a team full of pussies either and expect to steam roll over teams, can't win a cup without some size and grit on your DEPTH lines, these muckers provide that.
Ya know, it is possible to have guys who aren't pussies who are also not terrible NHL hockey players. Alberts and Sestito do not fit that description.

You say teams don't think Alberts and Sestito are fun to play against? I disagree. I bet teams LOVE when we dress Alberts and Sestito because it's basically a power play for them when either of these guys is on the ice.

Alberts has always taken bad penalties, whether they be in the pre-season, regular season or post season. I don't expect that to change.