Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by ESQ »

vic wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:10 pm The Hoff had first unit PP time with two of the best players in the NHL during his tenure here. Anson Carter 2.0

He was never going to get those numbers playing without the twins.
True enough, and the twins were the top offensive players in the league those years so it was a bit of a 2-way street.

I think he was worth $5 mil to the Canucks at the time (which was the rumoured asking price), especially over Garrison at $4.6 mil.

Not quite as disastrous as Burke not having the coin to sign Niedermayer after he left the Devils, but still stings a bit.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

ESQ wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:17 am
vic wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:10 pm The Hoff had first unit PP time with two of the best players in the NHL during his tenure here. Anson Carter 2.0

True enough, and the twins were the top offensive players in the league those years so it was a bit of a 2-way street.

I think he was worth $5 mil to the Canucks at the time (which was the rumoured asking price), especially over Garrison at $4.6 mil.

Not quite as disastrous as Burke not having the coin to sign Niedermayer after he left the Devils, but still stings a bit.
That's fair too. I wonder if it was the price or term? Buffalo gave him 10 freaking years. At 5, that would have meant 8 years, he'd still be on the payroll today.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

That was Nonis
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Iirc Niedermayer was considering Vancouver but the final decision was made based on his family wanting to see him and Rob play together before their careers were over.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

vic wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:46 pm That's fair too. I wonder if it was the price or term? Buffalo gave him 10 freaking years. At 5, that would have meant 8 years, he'd still be on the payroll today.
Ya that term was totally insane. But even though the total dollars was $40 mil, I think its pretty clear Hoff never meant to finish that contract so Hoff knew he wasn't going to get that full $40 mil (unless he was planning to get bought out, in which case good for him for fleecing Pegula for the next decade!). Had he played until this season, he would have left $6 mil in salary behind.

Its all academic, but I recall hearing the rumour Hoff's number during the season was $5 mil, and Gillis wouldn't go past $4.5 mil.
Mëds wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:54 am
Iirc Niedermayer was considering Vancouver but the final decision was made based on his family wanting to see him and Rob play together before their careers were over.
What I recall was the rumour was Niedermayer had a list of 2 teams, Canucks (hometown team, shaping up to be contenders) and Ducks (just off Cinderalla run to the SCF, bro is scrubbing away on the team).

The rumour I remember from the time was we had a chance to sign him, but Naslund was getting his big pay-day, and sadly immediately went into his steep decline post-lockout/Moore incident.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

https://www.tsn.ca/sens-believe-karlsso ... -1.1046836

Karlsson looks like he's played his last game this season - perhaps ever as a Sen?

The party line is that they're giving him time to spend with his wife after the loss of their kid. I get it, but he's played games since then and it's not like their season is on the line.

More fuel for the tank job the final rest of the way, mitigating against the risk of injury before they trade him in the offseason or a genuinely classy move after their captain went through a traumatic family issue? Evident tension between Karlsson and management and an extension on his contract is in doubt, but look what they did with Anderson after his wife was diagnosed with cancer?

I have a feeling Ottawa will be active before and at the draft. Imagine if Karlsson became an Oiler? Edmonton has the parts to make an offer worth considering and could use someone like him.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

So does Vancouver.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

BladesofSteel wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:43 pm So does Vancouver.
Why would Karlsson re-sign here?
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

To play with Dahlin and Elias.

Duh!! :mex:
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

BladesofSteel wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:54 pm To play with Dahlin and Elias.

Duh!! :mex:
Don't forget Tavares.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:50 pm
Why would Karlsson re-sign here?
Swedes love Vancouver, and now Karlsson will probably give us a Viking Clap discount.

Might as well exploit the Swede-love, since Russians seem to hate it here.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Lancer wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:26 pm I have a feeling Ottawa will be active before and at the draft. Imagine if Karlsson became an Oiler? Edmonton has the parts to make an offer worth considering and could use someone like him.
I don't know that they do. They have a lotto pick, mid-level prospect Puljujarvi, and Nurse still on his ELC playing 22 min/game.

Other than that, they don't have any players that I'd consider "bargains" on good contracts.

Now, if they'd packaged Eberle and Hall for Karlsson, that might have gotten it down. But no way does Strome and Larsson return Karlsson.
Our top assets are Bo, Boeser, Petersson, and the lottery pick. I don't see us getting Karlsson without moving one of those top assets.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

If Poolparty is a mid level prospect, what is Juolevi?
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:12 am If Poolparty is a mid level prospect, what is Juolevi?
About the same.

Neither is a proven effective NHLer, fortunately Olli still has 3 years on his ELC.

And of course, Puljujarvi was a higher pick than Olli, not that that counts for anything but all the players you like to harp on about from later in the 2016 draft were still on the board.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Interesting that you rate them as equals. One guy is playing in the nhl at 19 whereas the other guy wasn’t close