Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Lancer »

Uncle dans leg wrote:So the Coil name recent UFA acquisition Andrew Ference as team Captain...

A curious move by a curious franchise...can't decide whether I like it or not yet
Funny how I can't remember him wearing even an 'A' in Boston but he's captain material in Edmonton. Well he has a Cup ring, so I guess that makes him a bit of a messiah in their eyes. People will bring up the Luongo captaincy, but at least he was a star on the team and had been with the team for more than a couple of weeks.

Let's see what leadership he exudes beyond flipping the bird at fans.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

So which, if any, waiver wire pickups do we go after? A few decent players out there. Thoughts?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Pens Andrew Ebbett On Waivers

http://penslabyrinth.com/2013/09/29/rep ... t-waivers/

uh oh :look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Uncle dans leg wrote:So the Coil name recent UFA acquisition Andrew Ference as team Captain...

A curious move by a curious franchise...can't decide whether I like it or not yet
I like it for a couple of reasons.

One it means they are not completely deluded into thinking the youth movement is the be all, end all - and sewing the C onto Taylor Hall's jersey because he's the best of the kids regardless of the whining and the cheap shots and so on.

Two, it highlights just how devoid of actual winners this group is. Don't get me wrong I would take Ference as the veteran on our third pairing providing stability for a kid like Tanev or Corrado but as a top four fixture in Edmonton, as the guy all the young players look to, as a key part of the franchise.. oh boy. I guess maybe it's a step up from Shawn Horcoff?

Also, here's Dallas Eakins announcing it on twitter:
Andrew Ference will UNITE us. 14th Captain in Edmonton Oiler History. pic.twitter.com/o8m2loQDoR
He might end up being a great coach but he smacks of a self help guru, Ryan Walter type.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

TH is all Oiler though. He plays his guts out every night, goes to all the dirty areas, leads his team on the scoresheet and is the best of the bunch.

I'm not sure what cheap shots you mean Dave...has he been bad?

Cheap shots is more the rep of their new captain. This guy is despised by fans and teams in the east.

The more I think about it the more of a blunder I feel it is. It is a bit of a slap in Taylors face
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

dbr wrote: He might end up being a great coach but he smacks of a self help guru, Ryan Walter type.
Every year there's the soup du jour coach who 9 times out of 10 is unable to translate AHL success to the show.

Eakins is about to undertake a job that would challenge the coaching elite ffs. I smell fail
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Uncle dans leg wrote:TH is all Oiler though. He plays his guts out every night, goes to all the dirty areas, leads his team on the scoresheet and is the best of the bunch.

I'm not sure what cheap shots you mean Dave...has he been bad?

Cheap shots is more the rep of their new captain. This guy is despised by fans and teams in the east.

The more I think about it the more of a blunder I feel it is. It is a bit of a slap in Taylors face

dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Didn't think the Gardiner hit was that bad but yeah the Clutterbuck knee and the Michalek hack were the ones I had in mind.

I don't think giving someone else the C is a "slap in the face to Hall" but it certainly is a reality check. At the end of the day he is still a kid and I think giving the C to a veteran is a good way to keep that team from turning into a situation where the inmates (and particularly the high end draft picks who all have $6m deals in hand) are running the asylum..
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

dbr wrote:Didn't think the Gardiner hit was that bad but yeah the Clutterbuck knee and the Michalek hack were the ones I had in mind.

I don't think giving someone else the C is a "slap in the face to Hall" but it certainly is a reality check. At the end of the day he is still a kid and I think giving the C to a veteran is a good way to keep that team from turning into a situation where the inmates (and particularly the high end draft picks who all have $6m deals in hand) are running the asylum..
Hall did raise his elbow at the end of the hit.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

The Flyers placed D-man Chris Pronger on LTIR.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philade ... nge-opener
the Flyers will place Chris Pronger on long-term injury (LTIR) which will given them enough salary cap room to move Hall back onto the roster on Tuesday. Holmgren said Hall would come back.

Pronger’s cap hit is $4.9 million.

The LTIR move would also allow the Flyers to offer Hal Gill a contract as the club’s eighth defenseman. If Gill’s number is reasonable, that shouldn’t be a problem.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post ... krJHmR4YzI
Pronger was placed on long-term injured reserve yesterday in order to give the team the ability to add to the 21-man roster that was submitted to the NHL yesterday.

According to CapGeek as of opening day, the following teams are utilizing LTIR exemptions:

Philly @ $5M
NYR @ $1.8
San Jose @ $0.2
Toronto @ $.165
Boston @ $2.7M
Detroit @ $24,000
Pittsburgh @ $9,000

What was all that Day 2 Crap?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
dbr wrote: He might end up being a great coach but he smacks of a self help guru, Ryan Walter type.
Every year there's the soup du jour coach who 9 times out of 10 is unable to translate AHL success to the show.

Eakins is about to undertake a job that would challenge the coaching elite ffs. I smell fail
Spud wishes he was the Canuck coach.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Topper wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:

Spud wishes he was the Canuck coach.
He's a fitness and health freak too. So much so that he's even taken away the media's donuts and coffee at pressers.

Probably will make them do jumping jacks and sit ups before answering any questions.
2011..... the one that got away.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Are Paul McCartney sing alongs next?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Topper wrote:Are Paul McCartney sing alongs next?
Whats wrong with that?

I'd like to know.....
2011..... the one that got away.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Topper wrote:Are Paul McCartney sing alongs next?
Whats wrong with that?

I'd like to know.....
It's been known to draw the chicks in like an axe commercial...