Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by herb »

Hockey Widow wrote:
herb wrote:Rather than claim Roy on waivers, they traded for him. Go figure!

The Oilers: the gift that keeps on giving!

Roy should really help turn things around. My guess is they send Draisaitl back down to juniors after the WJCs (why in the world would they want Leon to lead Germany, after all?).

Why would they do that?
My guess is they finally realize that their strategy or rushing young players along is not working. Draisaitl is getting crushed in a limited role and Edmonton's season is all but over. Why destroy the kid further with more on ice abuse and bad vibes? The kid's on pace to be like a -40 this season playing 12 minutes a game, he isn't putting up points and his FO% is in the low 40's. If that's not bad for confidence and development, I don't know what is.
herb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by herb »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Why would they do that?
Some speculation that they wanted to shed a contract, or that some of Roy's salary ($1M lol) was retained. I find it real tough to believe they couldn't have gotten a 5th-7th round pick for Arcobello. At 26, it seems like he's still got something to give.

On the plus side for the Oilers, Roy weighs more than Arcobello, so they can actually claim to be getting bigger (just not taller) by acquiring Derek Roy.[/quote]

Yeah. Even though most of that Oilers roster is garbage, I'm sure they could have dumped somebody for a late pick, future considerations, a $25 Mark's Work Wearhouse gift card or something.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Lowe probably panicked and thought that the Oilers didn't have the highest waiver priority.

Either that or they thought they had to make it seem like they were actually being active in changing the culture.

Bold move MacT. Bold move.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:
5thhorseman wrote:Heatley placed on waivers ...

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/ducks-plac ... -1.2165334/
Just the sort of veteran leadership and driving force I would expect McTavish to pursue.
Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and assume that you used the word "driving" there for a reason. :mex:

OMG....

A S S H O L E
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

rockstar cleared waivers and is in the AHL....soon to be KHL imesho..

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... ck=dlvr.it

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
Topper wrote:
5thhorseman wrote:Heatley placed on waivers ...

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/ducks-plac ... -1.2165334/
Just the sort of veteran leadership and driving force I would expect McTavish to pursue.
Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and assume that you used the word "driving" there for a reason. :mex:

OMG....

A S S H O L E
Lots o whiskey in edmonchuk
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Heatley is likely done. The guy has made over $60M playing hockey, who knows how much more in endorsements (don't think he got much from Ferrari). He never was fast, and I don't think he's enjoyed playing hockey for years now, probably since he left San Jose.

At 33 years old, he looks like a 43 year old on the ice. Likely a combination of poor conditioning, a refusal to adjust his game to be an effective depth player, and diminishing physical abilities. He's too slow to play on the small ice, I don't like his chances of even gaining the zone on an international rink.

Now he can enjoy his money, terrorize the cottagers in wine country, and just be a "fuckin all star".

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Slower than a Rouble downhill with a tail wind.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Docs were saying he'd probably never play again after that accident.

He proved them wrong, but you had to know it would shorten his career.

He did extremely well, considering.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote:Docs were saying he'd probably never play again after that accident.

He proved them wrong, but you had to know it would shorten his career.

He did extremely well, considering.
He did extremely well, period. Only 90 players have ever hit 50 goals in an NHL season, Heatley did it twice.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Leon Draisaitl's rights traded to Kelowna, expected to be re-assigned this weekend.

So... why isn't he playing a starring role for Germany at the U20 tourney?
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Leon Draisaitl's rights traded to Kelowna, expected to be re-assigned this weekend.

Gotta keep shaking your head at the Oilers. Draisaitl has a chance to play on the junior squad, get more international experience, maybe help Germany win a game. When they kept him most people could not believe the Oilers would do that. Now after burning a year of of ELC they send him to Kelowna. What a fucking gong show and it keeps getting worse, not better. With all their high draft picks they aren't!t even close to turning it around. How many kids have they already ruined with how many more to come.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Hockey Widow wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Leon Draisaitl's rights traded to Kelowna, expected to be re-assigned this weekend.

Gotta keep shaking your head at the Oilers. Draisaitl has a chance to play on the junior squad, get more international experience, maybe help Germany win a game. When they kept him most people could not believe the Oilers would do that. Now after burning a year of of ELC they send him to Kelowna. What a fucking gong show and it keeps getting worse, not better. With all their high draft picks they aren't!t even close to turning it around. How many kids have they already ruined with how many more to come.
It's a complete clusterfuck. This just adds to their narrative of being the worst organization in pro sports.

I was watching the Spengler cup game today, and they pointed out that 4 of the top 5 scorers in that tournament were Oilers draft choices. The other was Taylor Pyatt. Maybe they should focus on drafting NHL players instead of Spengler Cup all-stars?
Calgary_Canuck
AHL Prospect

Post by Calgary_Canuck »

Edmonton beats LA? What the heck is happening with LA. Beat by the Flames, (they did play well) and now Edmonton. Hopefully the Nucks can feast on their losing ways, but I doubt it.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Calgary_Canuck wrote:Edmonton beats LA?
...Derek Roy has arrived!!