Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Hockey Widow »

So the Ship voluntarily retired from the NHL allowing Vegas to tear up the contract. It also means Vegas owns his NHL rights until he is 35. Interesting way around the cap hit, not that they need relief.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Reefer2 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:So how long has the Avalanches current rebuild gone on for now? Must be year 10. When was Duchene drafted? What a rebuild

The two darlings of the 2013 draft - McKinnon and Drouin contine to bust badly. 3 goals 9 assists for the Great generational - McKinnon and 2 goals and 8 assists for Drouin. Habs will regret trading Sergachyov
RD, some serious advice. What ever your smoking or drinking, stop.

You make little sense in most of your posts. You back peddle faster that a politician. You have selective memory. You sqwak like a parrot saying the same thing over and over again.
No kidding. MacKinnon has 14 points in 14 games.....total bust.

Jonathan Drouin, 11 points in 15 games on the slowest starting Montreal team of the past 40 years. He has 10 points in his last 11 games and Montreal is winning games again.

Vintage RD. :roll:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:
Tciso wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:No fan of the primadonna - Duchene, but as Doc says it's quantity over quality, similar to the failed - O'Reilly return. After the O'Reilly experience ya think Sakic would have learned from it and got more of a sure thing in return. It's a gamble in the asset mgmt department, he better hope at least one of those picks and prospects turn out.

Is that so called "generational" player - McKinnon next to go for quantity?
Hard to call 3 good draft picks "Quantity" A 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd are definitely quality picks. Sakic managed to grab both quality and quantity.

Seems to me that Turris , Bowers and a 2nd would have been fair for Duchene. The other picks and players are pure gravy, and will likely hurt Ottawa in 3-5 years.
So draft picks are a sure thing? Did not know that. The first could end up being a non lottery pick, good chance of that
That 1st rounder is top 10 protected.

Agreed Dude, it's like I say...

Extremely unlikely any of those assets turns out to be anywhere near as valuable as Duchene.

In fact, it's doubtful any of those become a top-pairing d-man or a top-line forward.

Ottawa got the best player in this trade and they managed to keep their top 6 (?) prospects.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:So the Ship voluntarily retired from the NHL allowing Vegas to tear up the contract. It also means Vegas owns his NHL rights until he is 35. Interesting way around the cap hit, not that they need relief.
More like "interesting way" for Vegas to get back almost all of that $2M signing bonus.

I'd love to know the real story of what soured Vegas on Shipachyov.

Sign a UFA to a big contract and then treat him like shit for a month, gotta be a reason...
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

RoyalDude wrote:
Tciso wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:No fan of the primadonna - Duchene, but as Doc says it's quantity over quality, similar to the failed - O'Reilly return. After the O'Reilly experience ya think Sakic would have learned from it and got more of a sure thing in return. It's a gamble in the asset mgmt department, he better hope at least one of those picks and prospects turn out.

Hard to call 3 good draft picks "Quantity" A 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd are definitely quality picks. Sakic managed to grab both quality and quantity.

Seems to me that Turris , Bowers and a 2nd would have been fair for Duchene. The other picks and players are pure gravy, and will likely hurt Ottawa in 3-5 years.
So draft picks are a sure thing? Did not know that. The first could end up being a non lottery pick, good chance of that
I agree with RD on this, I think.

The draft picks and prospects that Colorado received may turn out to be nothing players. The deal cannot be properly evaluated for the Avs for a few years. Hopefully they have figured out how to properly develop players.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Tciso wrote:

The draft picks and prospects that Colorado received may turn out to be nothing players. The deal cannot be properly evaluated for the Avs for a few years. Hopefully they have figured out how to properly develop players.
Why hopefully? I have a feeling---NOT.
Seattle Avalanche ?
Na, doesn't sound right.
Just have to change the name I guess... :P
"evolution"
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Tciso wrote:

That 1st rounder is top 10 protected.

Agreed Dude, it's like I say...

Extremely unlikely any of those assets turns out to be anywhere near as valuable as Duchene.

In fact, it's doubtful any of those become a top-pairing d-man or a top-line forward.

Ottawa got the best player in this trade and they managed to keep their top 6 (?) prospects.
Yes Ottawa got the best player, but, they paid a hell of a price for an upgrade on Turris.
And to RD's point, Yes. Sakic got 3 quality picks. What happens with them is unknown, but, they are still quality picks.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Reefer2 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Tciso wrote:

I dunno. Smells a lot like the Lindros trade. Not as earth shattering, but similar in player for players/pics. Kinda interesting that Sakic was a member of the Nords when that trade happened.

"After a week-long arbitration process, the result was the biggest trade in NHL history, which saw Lindros' rights awarded to the Flyers in exchange for six players (Steve Duchesne, Peter Forsberg, Ron Hextall, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci and Chris Simon), two draft picks and $15 million."
https://www.nhl.com/news/eric-lindros-1 ... y/c-643345
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Lets be honest, no matter hos Bubbles moves the goal posts, there is very limited odds of a 2nd or 3rd round player making an impact.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Tciso wrote: I dunno. Smells a lot like the Lindros trade. Not as earth shattering, but similar in player for players/pics. Kinda interesting that Sakic was a member of the Nords when that trade happened.

"After a week-long arbitration process, the result was the biggest trade in NHL history, which saw Lindros' rights awarded to the Flyers in exchange for six players (Steve Duchesne, Peter Forsberg, Ron Hextall, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci and Chris Simon), two draft picks and $15 million."
Not really close to the lindros trade.

Besides the more seasoned players, there is no elite Forsberg type - Bowers or Kamenev are not going to be like him.
Girard could be a decent QB, but he's 5'10, 162lbs.
Kamenev is hard-nosed dude though, he has some good upside - https://predlines.com/2017/08/30/nashvi ... l-minutes/
Just seems like he doesn't have a good two-way game & isn't the most creative.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Tciso wrote: I dunno. Smells a lot like the Lindros trade. Not as earth shattering, but similar in player for players/pics. Kinda interesting that Sakic was a member of the Nords when that trade happened.

Lol, yeahno.

All those players were known quantities at the time of the trade except perhaps 6th-overall Forsberg.

BTW those "two draft picks" in the Lindros trade were 1st round picks.

And $15M was a ridiculous amount of money in 1992.

These two trades are not comparable, get a grip roflmao...
Tciso wrote: Yes Ottawa got the best player, but, they paid a hell of a price for an upgrade on Turris.
Yes but Duchene is a hell of an upgrade on Turris. :D

Even the geeks agree: https://www.thescore.com/news/1400260

Clearly the Sens wanted no part of re-signing Turris and were all-in on Duchene.

Bowers was a 28th-overall pick and it is likely another late 1st they gave up.

The other pick Ottawa threw in was a (likely late) 3rd-rounder.

(the price they paid to dump Hammond?)

So let's say Turris + 28th O/A + say 22nd O/A for Duchene?

Duchene is much more dynamic than Turris and 1.5 years younger.

As he said, this was a "no brainer" for Dorion.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote:Lets be honest, no matter hos Bubbles moves the goal posts, there is very limited odds of a 2nd or 3rd round player making an impact.
LOL . Shea Weber, Duncan Keith, Patrice Bergeron, PK Subban, Joe Nieuwendyk, and dozens of others say hi.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Topper wrote:Lets be honest, no matter hos Bubbles moves the goal posts, there is very limited odds of a 2nd or 3rd round player making an impact.
LOL . Shea Weber, Duncan Keith, Patrice Bergeron, PK Subban, Joe Nieuwendyk, and dozens of others say hi.
You forgot about Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg.

Oh wait, they were 6th and 7th rounders.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Sure, those are guys that beat the odds and that's awesome but there are the hundreds that don't
and this is all that is meant by odds.
20-1 ? maybe higher.
"evolution"
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Reefer2 wrote: The draft picks and prospects that Colorado received may turn out to be nothing players. The deal cannot be properly evaluated for the Avs for a few years. Hopefully they have figured out how to properly develop players.
Which is the same things as saying you can never evaluate a trade until you see how players do in the future.....

I don't get this deal for Ottawa. Duchene is an upgrade on Turris, but not a major one. The prospect depth is okay, but not the type where you can afford to throw away picks. Craig Anderson is showing some signs this year of deterioration, and Mike Condon is not the goalie of the future. There is nothing else there that I can see.

The team has played very well but for the dismal shootouts. They don't need a shake up. And Duchene isn't likely to help their shootout situation all that much; he is 36% lifetime (not bad, but no better than Turris).

What am I missing?
Hono_rary Canadian