Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Hockey Widow »

Benning would never say he is interested in Kane, that after all would be tampering :mrgreen:

Benning was in on Kane from Winnipeg as was his predecessor. In fact MG almost had him. Benning almost had him too until Buffalo upped the anti and made it a much bigger deal.

Benning wants a young, skilled forward with grit.

Linden would not talk about Kane. That would be tampering :mrgreen:

Linden was asked, hypothetically, would the team be interested in say a young, skilled foward who played with grit if he had off ice issues like say criminal matters. Linden said yes, it depends upon learning the whole story, looking into all the details. A player like that could be a good on ice asset. Playing with an edge, a nastiness. But, he said, if there is a situation involving violence against women we would have to take an extra careful look because the Canucks take that very seriously. :hmmm:

So you read between the lines.

Are the Canucks interested in Kane? You bet your bottom dollar. Have the Canucks had the opportunity to do a full due diligence? Highly unlikely at this point. Has Murray reached the point where he would trade Kane for 50 cents on the dollar? Probably not yet.

So without the Canucks having a chance to do a due diligence I don't think they pull the trigger. Murray isn't going to be able to white wash Kane ( can't believe I typed that). It's probably up to Murry right now. Sell low to be done with Kane and protect the Jack Eichels of the world from his dark influence ( did I type that) and be done with it.
Or hold on, hope Kane gets out of this next round relatively unscathed. Have a heart to heart with the kid. Last chance. Hope he plays well enough to increase his trade value at the deadline or next summer when he only has one year left. Smaller risk for trading team. It's up to Murray. I say he waits until at least camp.

Buffalo needs LHS D. I'd love to see a sell low like this: Sbisa to Buffalo for Kane with 15% retained and a 2017 2nd. Crazy right? Yes, but that what I'd like.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

sagebrush wrote:Citizen Kane was distracting drama.

Some of us think the Canucks have had enough drama queens for a while.
Ya, this franchise could probably be served well by going a couple of years without any major controversies.

Regardless of what we do or don't do with our current roster, I for one, want to see a far better effort in the first period, at home, in our own damn building!
Too many times last year we just came out flat and seemingly disorganized. That's what I hated.
You don't need a team of all stars to at least come out spirited.
This usually points to poor leadership or poor preparation or poor coaching.
These lack of compete first periods at home were obviously noticed because as the year went on seems other teams new to press Vancouver hard, early at home.
Wasn't fun to watch, at times, embarrassing.
From the book of "Hockey 101": Your in our territory now and we aint gonna make it easy for ya!
I know, young guys not getting the message yet. Lots of injuries, yada, yada, yada. No excuse.
Better preparation needed. Maybe an alteration in coaching style and I would think some better scouting on the teams coming for a visit.
To make an already too long story short;
For other teams, Vancouver has to be a hated place to come, not a freakin mini vacation.....
"evolution"
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: BUFFALO, N.Y. — A 21-year-old Buffalo woman has sued Sabres forward Evander Kane, saying he seriously injured her in the hotel room where he lives.

Documents filed July 1 in Erie County State Supreme on behalf of Rachel Kuechle Court say Kane met her in a bar, invited her to what he said was a party and then attacked her, causing cuts and bleeding that required multiple surgeries. Without providing details of how she was injured, her lawyers said Kuechle suffered "serious emotional trauma" and "serious, permanent and painful personal injuries."

Kane's actions are described as "unwanted, unconsented to, violent and offensive in nature physical battery," according to court papers.

No monetary damages were specified in the lawsuit. A message left for Kuechle's lawyer wasn't immediately returned.

Kane had been cleared in March of any criminal charges after authorities investigated the Dec. 27 encounter initially described as a possible sexual assault.
Yeah this is the same lady behind the alleged incident last December.

Kane was cleared of wrongdoing in the alleged incident.

During the investigation this lady repeatedly stated she "couldn't remember" anything from the night in question

... yet now she's saying "Kane seriously injured her"?? :eh:
Hockey Widow wrote: Kane has to ask himself, do I want a full public trial with all the sordid details or do I want to settle with a full confidentiality clause?
Obviously what this lady is banking on...
I doubt Buffalo is ready to give up on him yet given these facts. Sounds like it could turn out similarly to the other Kanes incident.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: BUFFALO, N.Y. — A 21-year-old Buffalo woman has sued Sabres forward Evander Kane, saying he seriously injured her in the hotel room where he lives.

Kane had been cleared in March of any criminal charges after authorities investigated the Dec. 27 encounter initially described as a possible sexual assault.
Yeah this is the same lady behind the alleged incident last December.
Kane was cleared of wrongdoing in the alleged incident.
During the investigation this lady repeatedly stated she "couldn't remember" anything from the night in question
... yet now she's saying "Kane seriously injured her"?? :eh:
Hockey Widow wrote: Kane has to ask himself, do I want a full public trial with all the sordid details or do I want to settle with a full confidentiality clause?
Obviously what this lady is banking on...
Buffalo media wanting to get rid of Kane now, with all the drama Evander has been through from partying NBA all-star, to all these recent allegations, even if cleared, they worry about future embarrassments.

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2016/08/0 ... nder-kane/
No matter, the decision before Murray shouldn’t solely revolve around Kane’s guilt or innocence but what’s best for the Sabres as they soldier forward. Murray needs to detach himself from his trade for Kane and take a cold, hard look at the situation before deciding whether the talented winger is worth the aggravation.

It makes for a tricky decision.

Kane hasn’t been convicted of any crime, but he has shown a penchant for finding trouble or trouble finding him.
Buying out his contract is not an immediate option. The window for this year closed June 30, or about three weeks before Kane was arrested. It would have cost the Sabres $4 million, a price that would have been worth examining. Murray is left in an unenviable position with only a few options and no guaranteed solution.

Murray could follow the legal system to make a decision, but that would be missing the point. The Sabres have a young, promising roster. They’re looking to make the playoffs after showing progress. Murray signed Kyle Okposo, acquired Dmitri Kulikov and drafted Michael Nylander.

The Sabres are going in the right direction under Murray, who had the spine required to make bold decisions without looking back or fretting over potential repercussions. The last thing Buffalo needs after improving the roster is Kane causing one distraction after another and stunting the growth of his team.

Remember, he was suspended last season because he missed practice after partying at the NBA All-Star Game. It was yet another sign, but not the last sign, that he was immature and irresponsible. Alcohol was somewhere in the backdrop of his problems in Buffalo. He might want to lay off the booze and grow up.

Murray could keep Kane and hope he cleans up his act, but that’s ignoring an unsettling past followed him from Winnipeg to Buffalo. He could trade Kane, but that means getting little in return. Teams aren’t lining up for a $6 million forward who embarrassed two organizations multiple times. They could stuff him in Rochester, but what would that solve?

If they keep him, Buffalo runs the risk of him landing in more trouble, or worse trouble, and further embarrassing the organization. Clearly, the Sabres were conflicted Tuesday after wishing Kane a happy birthday via Twitter, deleting the preset Tweet presumably after followers complained, and posting an edited version.

Kane-to-Vancouver trade rumors, which had been flying for weeks, sounded like a viable solution. Kane would get an opportunity to play for his hometown team and be surrounded by family and friends. The Canucks would get a good player who would provide a much-needed boost for a team in transition.

The Sabres wouldn’t get full value for Kane in any swap, but there would be benefits to making a deal. In the problems-to-production-to-price formula, trading him could be sold as addition by subtraction. As it stands now, Kane the player is less attractive to teams that have heard about Kane the person.

Murray paid a hefty price, but it comes with his aggression and willingness to take chances in an effort to improve his team. At times, he’s going to strike out while swinging for the fences. It beats going down looking. That was his approach before he acquired Kane, and it’s not going to change now.
They love Murray and his aggressive moves, and understand not every trade is going to be a win, they know this is a loss and will be after they probably deal him, a hefty one as the price they paid for Kaner, but trading him is addition by subtraction of all his crap Kane has brought.

I'm on the fence on this one.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I'm only on the fence with respect to price. If Murray is dumping and holds a half price event, a labour day special, I'm in. We can make the cap work, assuming someone not of the core goes the other way and Buffalo retains a bit, and at worst he becomes a two year place holder for Virtanen and Boeser.

I just don't want to see us pay top dollar.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

"So without the Canucks having a chance to do a due diligence I don't think they pull the trigger. Murray isn't going to be able to white wash Kane ( can't believe I typed that)"

THIS is funny
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Patrick Roy quits, looks like him and Burnaby Joe aren't on the same page or he and Joe have one idea and the owners have another...
I have thought long and hard over the course of the summer about how I might improve this team to give it the depth it needs and bring it to a higher level. To achieve this, the vision of the coach and VP-Hockey Operations needs to be perfectly aligned with that of the organization. He must also have a say in the decisions that impact the team's performance. These conditions are not currently met.
http://www.tsn.ca/roy-resigns-from-aval ... n-1.544058

Wonder if they go after Green
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

This is what I was waiting for.
Kind of new it was going to happen, I still have a few old friends that are around hockey from the early 80s.
Don't expect the real truth to come out in the press conference that JS and ownership will throw out.
Now you cross your fingers because an opportunity to pounce could be at hand soon.....
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I thought I read somewhere that Green had a window in which he could interview for NHL jobs and that window closed once the draft started. Now I suppose the Canucks could still grant permission but not so sure the Canucks would be willing to let him go.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Roy is such an arrogant asshole. Great goalie though.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:Roy is such an arrogant asshole. Great goalie though.
I wonder if Torts needs an assistant?

Retread Hartley in the Rockies.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

^ This ^
From his press release:
"I have thought long and hard over the course of the summer about how I might improve this team to give it the depth it needs and bring it to a higher level. To achieve this, the vision of the coach and VP-Hockey Operations needs to be perfectly aligned with that of the organization. He must also have a say in the decisions that impact the team's performance. These conditions are not currently met.
Today, I am informing you of my decision to leave the Colorado Avalanche organization."

Sounds to me that things aren't going his way so ol' Patrick is picking up his ball and going home...again. Never been a fan.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Maybe his wifes facial bruising is starting to heal...
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I may like the Avs again - hated Roy and really loved it when his team sucks.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol what an arrogant fuck. They won't agree with everything I want so I quit. Spoiled brat. Never had much respect for the guy after he quit on the Habs. Other than Montreal or a new Quebec team , who would hire this asshole to coach? Or to manage which is what he seems to really want to do.

Hopefully they leave Travis alone. I have a feeling Twitch doesn't make it the season.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”