Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Strangelove wrote:The believers have given their reasons for believing
That's what I was looking for on Saturday. Would the master of archives care to share links to a few highlight ?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: However the contract signings of the Fab Four are terrible right off the hop and the way Elmer shit the bed at the deadline is plain as day for everyone to see.
I'm on board with the Miller signing, we needed stability in net until we had a kid come up and take over.

As for the others, I'm guessing Benning overpaid for what they bring, but they bring their own form of stability to some point. Dorsett is battling for the team, Sbisa is well... we're still waiting for him to deliver, and we didn't get the free watch. Who's the other one you keep bitching about?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cornuck wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: However the contract signings of the Fab Four are terrible right off the hop and the way Elmer shit the bed at the deadline is plain as day for everyone to see.
I'm on board with the Miller signing, we needed stability in net until we had a kid come up and take over.

As for the others, I'm guessing Benning overpaid for what they bring, but they bring their own form of stability to some point. Dorsett is battling for the team, Sbisa is well... we're still waiting for him to deliver, and we didn't get the free watch. Who's the other one you keep bitching about?
Brandon Sutter
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Strangelove wrote:The believers have given their reasons for believing (AKA being fans of a team).

But it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early for anyone to pass judgement on James E. Benning.
Soooooo, being a fan is reason enough to believe in Benning, so if you're a fan, you must be a believer. But wait! It's too early to pass judgement on Benning, that is, decide whether you believe in him or not, so it's not possible to truly believe at this juncture, cos it's too early, right? Ergo, none of us can claim to be fans. Argggghh, I'm so confused, I'm sure you'll offer me a place on your couch ;)
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

So.....

Does everyone know this thread is about signings and RFA injuries and not another Benning/Linden/Gillis love/ahte discussion?

Maybe we need a full thread all about the current and past GM of the Vancouver Canucks so the rest of us can ignore the discussions between a handful of posters who all look like they should be on spring break at the moment, you now taking a day off from the playground and recess.

Interesting about Malkin, is Pittsburg fast becoming an old team? They are 4 points out of not making the playoffs with both Crosby/Malkin in the lineup.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Reefer2 wrote:So.....

Does everyone know this thread is about signings and RFA injuries and not another Benning/Linden/Gillis love/ahte discussion?
Good point - move along to one of the other threads for BenningBattles.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Reefer2 wrote:Interesting about Malkin, is Pittsburg fast becoming an old team?
They are 4 points out of not making the playoffs with both Crosby/Malkin in the lineup.
And malkin out for rest of season, they are kind of like the Canucks with crappy defense, above average goaltending, team lead by two star players except theirs are "generational" superstars, which coincides with regards to contracts and they got the one stanley cup.

Luckily we are going with the youth movement the past coupla years with JB at the helm, now the Sedins might get one more shot at the Cup within the next 2, 3 years.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Pittsburg on a bad path,(down, down, down). Crosby seems totally fine and healed from C-syndrome but Malkin is just way reckless. Sometimes it looks like his legs are going one way and his shoulders the other. Love the talent, very inventive, fun to watch but that big gangly frame is toast soon.
Still don't know why they wanted Kessel, (The Team Guy) NOT!!
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Pens have spent many years and resources trying to find "that guy" to put them over the top. Their goaltending has always been hot/COLD iffy and instead of replacing gritting role players who were instrumental in their Cup win, they keep trying to add skill.

The Oilers draft the way the Pens trade and sign FA's.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Bad MGMT in Pitts over the last decade. The Sutter trade for Bonino is proof to that. Bonino is the worse! 4 goals and 9 assists in 50 game? WTF!?!?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote:Pens have spent many years and resources trying to find "that guy" to put them over the top. Their goaltending has always been hot/COLD iffy and instead of replacing gritting role players who were instrumental in their Cup win, they keep trying to add skill.

If you were the GM of the Pittsburgh would you trade Malkin for a set of good players coming back?

Could you get a #1 or #2 Dman and a 4 - 6 forward coming back? Not a Doughty type guy but a top defender?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Reefer2 wrote:
Topper wrote:Pens have spent many years and resources trying to find "that guy" to put them over the top. Their goaltending has always been hot/COLD iffy and instead of replacing gritting role players who were instrumental in their Cup win, they keep trying to add skill.

If you were the GM of the Pittsburgh would you trade Malkin for a set of good players coming back?

Could you get a #1 or #2 Dman and a 4 - 6 forward coming back? Not a Doughty type guy but a top defender?
I'd have traded Crosby two or three years ago and kept Malkin.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Reefer2 wrote: If you were the GM of the Pittsburgh would you trade Malkin for a set of good players coming back?

I'm not sure who needs to be shipped out more, Malkin or the oft-injured Letang?

Edmonton would be an obvious partner, but their contracts are so terrible it won't do much good if you take back one of their first-overalls.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Pittsburg is an example of a team with a couple franchise players, a decent hot and cold goalie capable of being sensational, decent supporting cast, going for it year after year after year by making horrible TDD deals that has stripped their depth. As pointed out, they have moved the pluggers who helped them win the cup in an effort to find a "fit" for Crosby and Malkn.

They are so done, stale, over, finished. They need to start restocking the cupboards and moving Malkin would be my choice.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Can't stop this big a rolling snowball so!
Names for Vegas?
Who don't we protect, (one guy) ?
"evolution"