Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Meds »

BigTuna wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
BigTuna wrote: Decent? Then why was it second best in the entire NHL?
You haven't been listening.

Goaltending. :mex:
Oh I've been listening it's just an opinion that is wrong. You believe Reimer had some out-of-nowhere fluke season, when in fact he had the same season as a rookie two years ago. Two of his first 3 NHL seasons have sen him post over .920 save% He's a very good young goalie.

And Bernier had great numbers himself last season and is an improvement over Scrivens.

Last season:
James Reimer 33 76 2.46 995 .924 4
Jonathan Bernier 14 24 1.88 306 .922 1

And their both only 25 years-old. The leaves are set for years in net with two of the better young goalies in the NHL.
Reimer hasn't even played a full season yet. 37 games is the most he's seen at the NHL level. He's unproven.

Toronto's success or failure does not rest in the crease. It hinges on their weak blueline and paltry talent at center.

Bozak
Kadri
Bolland
McClement
Smith
Van Riemsdyk

They are banking heavily on Bozak taking the next step the way Kesler did around the same age. But Bozak hasn't had the luxury of being surrounded by the same level if skill and experience that Kes had.

Kadri remains unsigned and they are going to have to move someone or let Franson go to keep Kadri.

Bolland is apparently going to be asked to play a top 2 center role now. Nonis is counting on a guy who has benefited from playing with some of the most talented forwards in the league, as a third line shutdown center, to be able to step up and be a key piece of the offensive strategy and move into a scoring role. Good luck with that.

McClement is a serviceable fourth liner at best.

Trevor Smith is a 28 year old with 24 games of NHL experience.

Hmmmm.....definitely a powerhouse in the making down the middle. Let's look at the blueline now.

Phaneuf
Liles
Ranger
Fraser
Gunnarsson
Gardiner
Marshall
Brennan
Franson

Phaneuf is an overpaid top 3 dman. He's like a more physically dynamic version of Edler but even more inconsistent mentally. The leaves think he's their best choice for captain and anchor on the back end.

Lilies is washed up and small.

Ranger is a reclamation project.

Fraser is a physical stay home guy who is reliable in the #6 spot.

Gunnarsson, welli don't know much about him, but his stats aren't exactly spectacular. I'm guessing his a bottom pairing guy, a number 4 at best.

Gardiner is still young and a bright spot on that team, but he's not going to carry the blueline.

Marshall, ummm who now? Who cares, 10 games under his belt.

Brennan, never heard of him.

Franson is unsigned and should be a priority for Nonis, he should be in their top 3, but now they have to figure out who to move, or make the decision between him and Kadri.

Nonis has totally screwed things up this off-season. He should have locked up both of his young RFAs before blowing his wad on Bozak, Bolland, and Clarkson.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BigTuna wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Like I keep saying, lack of depth (due to overpaying certain players) will be their downfall. Image
I see no lack of depth. I see the best depth @ wing in the entire NHL.
viewtopic.php?p=179321#p179321
____
Try to focus on someday.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Mëds wrote:
Reimer hasn't even played a full season yet. 37 games is the most he's seen at the NHL level. He's unproven.

Toronto's success or failure does not rest in the crease. It hinges on their weak blueline and paltry talent at center.

Bozak
Kadri
Bolland
McClement
Smith
Van Riemsdyk

They are banking heavily on Bozak taking the next step the way Kesler did around the same age. But Bozak hasn't had the luxury of being surrounded by the same level if skill and experience that Kes had.

Kadri remains unsigned and they are going to have to move someone or let Franson go to keep Kadri.

Bolland is apparently going to be asked to play a top 2 center role now. Nonis is counting on a guy who has benefited from playing with some of the most talented forwards in the league, as a third line shutdown center, to be able to step up and be a key piece of the offensive strategy and move into a scoring role. Good luck with that.

McClement is a serviceable fourth liner at best.

Trevor Smith is a 28 year old with 24 games of NHL experience.

Hmmmm.....definitely a powerhouse in the making down the middle. Let's look at the blueline now.

Phaneuf
Liles
Ranger
Fraser
Gunnarsson
Gardiner
Marshall
Brennan
Franson

Phaneuf is an overpaid top 3 dman. He's like a more physically dynamic version of Edler but even more inconsistent mentally. The leaves think he's their best choice for captain and anchor on the back end.

Lilies is washed up and small.

Ranger is a reclamation project.

Fraser is a physical stay home guy who is reliable in the #6 spot.

Gunnarsson, welli don't know much about him, but his stats aren't exactly spectacular. I'm guessing his a bottom pairing guy, a number 4 at best.

Gardiner is still young and a bright spot on that team, but he's not going to carry the blueline.

Marshall, ummm who now? Who cares, 10 games under his belt.

Brennan, never heard of him.

Franson is unsigned and should be a priority for Nonis, he should be in their top 3, but now they have to figure out who to move, or make the decision between him and Kadri.

Nonis has totally screwed things up this off-season. He should have locked up both of his young RFAs before blowing his wad on Bozak, Bolland, and Clarkson.

Huh? Bozak plays with Kessel and Lupul. Two PPG wingers.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Strangelove wrote:
BigTuna wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Like I keep saying, lack of depth (due to overpaying certain players) will be their downfall. Image
viewtopic.php?p=179321#p179321
Oh my god Kostka and O'Byrne are gone!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BigTuna wrote: Oh my god Kostka and O'Byrne are gone!
... and you can kiss Franson/Liles goodbye as well. :thumbs:

But I thought you were talking about all kinds of "depth @ wing". Image
Last edited by Strangelove on Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Strangelove wrote:
BigTuna wrote: Oh my god Kostka and O'Byrne are gone!
... and you can kiss Franson/Liles goodbye as well. :thumbs:

But I thought you were talking about all kinds of depth on the wings. Image
Franson isn't gone at all. Neither is Liles.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BigTuna wrote: Franson isn't gone at all. Neither is Liles.
Perhaps you'd like to explain to the salary cap hockey world how they're gonna keep those two + Kadri. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Strangelove wrote:
BigTuna wrote: Franson isn't gone at all. Neither is Liles.
Perhaps you'd like to explain to the salary cap hockey world how they're gonna keep those two + Kadri. :mrgreen:
They can go with a reduced roster and re-sign both. The issue is more that they want too much moneyythan the cap situation.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BigTuna wrote: They can go with a reduced roster and re-sign both. The issue is more that they want too much moneyythan the cap situation.
Show us:

http://capgeek.com/mapleleafs/cap-calculator/

:mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BigTuna wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
:? :? :?

Lupus - 0.64 career ppg
Clarkson - 0.40 ppg
Kessel's - 0.75 ppg
Kumelin - 0.50 ppg
Van Riemsdyk - 0.54 ppg

Orr and McLaren are 4th line grinders with 35 points between them in 497 games.

So when you consider that most goals account for 3 individual points, the wingers are going to bring the leaves 1.26 goals per game. I really hope the rest of the team is up for the challenge of making up for all of that production.

Deepest at wing.....

:rofl:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BigTuna wrote:
Mëds wrote:

Seriously? Are you trolling with stupid facts just to get a response?

Bozak is a 0.53 ppg player over the last 3 seasons.

Lupul has 2 ppg seasons out of his 10 career seasons. But even with those 2 seasons he's a 0.64 ppg guy.

Kessel's in the same boat. 2 seasons of ppg play. Career he's a 0.75 ppg player.

Lupul and Kessel are also not what one would consider guys with a winning pedigree that can groom and develop young players (and Bozak is getting to the age where he should be bringing what he will bring consistently).
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Mëds wrote:
BigTuna wrote:
Mëds wrote:

Seriously? Are you trolling with stupid facts just to get a response?

Bozak is a 0.53 ppg player over the last 3 seasons.

Lupul has 2 ppg seasons out of his 10 career seasons. But even with those 2 seasons he's a 0.64 ppg guy.

Kessel's in the same boat. 2 seasons of ppg play. Career he's a 0.75 ppg player.

Lupul and Kessel are also not what one would consider guys with a winning pedigree that can groom and develop young players (and Bozak is getting to the age where he should be bringing what he will bring consistently).

Last two seasons with Bozak:

Kessel:

48 20 32 52
82 37 45 82

Lupul:
16 11 7 18
66 25 42 67

Like I correctly stated, he's playing with two PPG wingers. And you called me a troll for that? LOL. Why the hell would it matter what Kessel scored in his teens before Bozak played a game in the NHL? We were talking about who he was playing with, no?

Kessel and Lupul have been two of the very best wingers the last two seasons.
Last edited by BigTuna on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Mëds wrote:
BigTuna wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
:? :? :?

Lupus - 0.64 career ppg
Clarkson - 0.40 ppg
Kessel's - 0.75 ppg
Kumelin - 0.50 ppg
Van Riemsdyk - 0.54 ppg

Orr and McLaren are 4th line grinders with 35 points between them in 497 games.

So when you consider that most goals account for 3 individual points, the wingers are going to bring the leaves 1.26 goals per game. I really hope the rest of the team is up for the challenge of making up for all of that production.

Deepest at wing.....

:rofl:
Let's use career PPG to make them look much worse than they are!

When JVR is your 3rd best winger, you're in really good shape. Their 5th best winger has scored 30 goals.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So with Henrique signing today at 24 million over 6 years, a 4 million per cap hit, the others are lining up for similar deals. Hodgson, Stephan and Kadri to name 3. Can't imagine paying CoHo 4 million per at this point. Maybe he will be worth that in a year or two but now. Then again I guess its all about salary too. Don't know if it's a straight 4 million per or if that is just the cap but it takes him two years past UFA so a long term commitment from him to swallow two years of FA.

Come on Nonis, you know you want to....
The only HW the Canucks need