Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote:
Every goaltender has a bad game every once in awhile Dan.

Is that alright with YOU Danny-boy?

IS IT??!! :evil: :twisted: :evil:
No actually it isn't. I'm sorry but letting beachballs in from all over the ice including behind the damn goal line is NOT alright with me. Plus I can't ever again enjoy the scintillating sounds of Chelsea Dagger :evil:
Strangelove wrote:NOW, if Luongo had a coach with balls enough to yank him early in a "meltdown" game

... we may not be having this conversation.
Ok I'll tentatively give you this. I don't like excuses but if there's one I can half assed accept it's this one. Still...AV wasn't strapped in the pipes. Reboundo was :evil: :evil: :evil:
Strangelove wrote: Daniel, did you just happen to miss 3 dozen playoff games in which Roberto Luongo was the star of the game?

Or are you just a media-brainwashed schlep who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground?

(no offense intended) :thumbs:
No I didn't miss them. In fact, they actually accentuate the despair I've felt because I know he can be "The Man"...if only he'd get his head out of whatever cloud it tends to reside in intermittently come April
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: I know he can be "The Man"
Hold that thought!

Now... picture Henrik hoisting the Stanley Cup at centre ice. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote: Hold that thought!
Damn....I couldn't do it
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

*slips something into Dan's koolaid*

____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Those games where AV did not pull Luongo were often because the team in front stunk and he gave the team leadership the ball to right the ship, The y didn't Lou's down three or four, lets in a softee or two of his own and suddenly eats 7 or eight that become ALL his fault.

What will change with Torts, is he will not delegate the discipline authority to the players on the bench and will be much more active and truly a bench boss.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote:Those games where AV did not pull Luongo were often because the team in front stunk and he gave the team leadership the ball to right the ship, The y didn't Lou's down three or four, lets in a softee or two of his own and suddenly eats 7 or eight that become ALL his fault.

What will change with Torts, is he will not delegate the discipline authority to the players on the bench and will be much more active and truly a bench boss.
I expect that if the team hangs Luongo out to dry and they are down 3 in the early going, he will get Lou out of there to send a message. I've always been a fan of the quick reset approach with goaltending. To some it looks like the coach is saying, "You suck. You're done for tonight." And that's the case I suppose sometimes. But it's also a way the coach protects the goaltender from looking even worse because of the team in front of him.

It will be interesting to see how often Bieksa and Edler's minutes get chopped in the 3rd period this year.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

I wonder if Henrik Lundquist will all of a sudden start sporting epic 7 or 8 goal meltdowns on his playoff resume

If so... I'll jump straight up into the high chair and patiently await The Docster to start spoon feeding me some crow
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote:Top NHL Goaltender Cap Hits - Luongo now 12th...

1. Rinne (30) $7M
2. Rask (26) $7M
3. Lundqvist (31) $6.875M
4. Price (26) $6.5M
5. Ward (29) $6.3M
6. Miller (33) $6.25M
7. Crawford (28) $6M
8. Lehtonen (29) $5.9M
9. Quick (27) $5.8M
10. Smith (31) $5.67M
11. Bobrovsky (24) $5.625M
12. Luongo (34) $5.33M
My favourite part of that list is that the Nonis contract from 2006 and its $6.75 million cap hit would still be #4 after 8 years of cap inflation :lol:

Enjoy Nonis while you can, leaves fans! David Clarkson and Tyler Bozak are already big fans!

Of the 11 more expensive goalies, who would you take in place of Luongo? I think Quick is the only one for me.
Quick, Lundqvist, and maybe Rinne.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Hjalmarsson, 26, has signed a new five year contract with the 'hawks. 4.1 per year.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Bob McKenzie reporting that Kadri is seeking a multi-year contract worth $5.5M per year.

Kadri denies.

Gotta wonder if Kadri and his agent are on different pages.

One has to think that even if McKenzie's sources are exaggerating, the number must be with in a million of that. Also have to figure that Franson's camp is seeking similar cash.

So the leaves have just under $5M in cap space, and have two key pieces of last year's successful half season seeking a combined $9M.

:lol:

C'mon MG, make a deal that free's up some space, then offer sheet Franson. When Nonis matches, because you know he won't want to lose either of these guys to Gillis, then offer sheet the other guy. :P
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Mëds wrote: Quick, Lundqvist, and maybe Rinne.
Lundqvist would be the only maybe, though he's done less in the playoffs than Luongo and is substantially more expensive.

Rinne is almost 31 and has been decent in his 4 seasons as a starter on a defense-first team, but 6 more years at that price?? Lets be real - Rinne is only making that money because Nashville needed to keep him after Suter. Plus he took a step back this year after signing that massive deal...I would definitely pass :drink:
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Nobody caught the news about our once cossetted "prodigy" - Cody Hodgson's contract talk with the Sabres?

It has been reported that Hodgson is currently seeking for a lucrative long-term contract after registering 49 points in a shortened 48 game season. The Sabres though are hugely disappointed with Hodgson's defensive deficiency and would much prefer to offer a "bridge" contract for further assessment of Hodgson's true value.

Where on earth does Hodgson get the audacity to demand a contract similar to Henrique's? And I thought it has almost been a typical move to offer players out of the ELC a bridge contract, rather than handing out a long-term deal.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

First to set the record straight Hodgson had 34 points in 48 games, not 49. A rather huge difference. He had 13 in the second half of the shortened season (i.e. after everyone else had caught up to the AHL kids). His defensive game was indeed terrible.

I'm not shocked Hodgson is looking to cash in on a long term deal as Kadri is looking to and Henirque did (though suspect within a 18 months the Henrique contract will be a steal for NJ). Also not surprised that Buffalo doesn't want a long term deal. Not just because of the issue with his play and the young center ice depth they have in the organization (Grig, Girg, Larsson) but because i think they feel they have burned a bit by the Myers contract.

Hodgson has fantastic offensive talent, but it is his defensive game and those other intangibles that determines if he is a offensive player on a bad team or on a contending team for the bulk of his career.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

If I'm CoHo I try to cash in now too. The reality is he's one bad linemate away from making 2-3 mill a year max.

The guy has hands and sees the ice pretty well but always being the trailer and benefiting from 1st unit powerplay time doesn't necessarily warrant that kind of dough.

He likely shoots for the moon this time around even if it means a hold out scenario. Cash in while you can...I would too if I were him
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote:*slips something into Dan's koolaid*
Ok....why can't I remember the last 3 days