Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Per »

Blomstrand's stats: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=21651

I'm sceptical. If he's not ready for the SEL, how can he be ready for the NHL? :hmmm:

Sure, he's described as a role player, and in Sweden players at the top level are expected to be more allround, so sure. If they have a specific limited role in mind, maybe. I still think this guy needs another two or three years before he should be knocking at the Canucks' door.

But then, maybe they think he'll develop better in Chicago?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Anyone who enjoys watching the failings of the Maple Laughs should be enjoying the game today. :P

I sense Nonis will be sending GMMG an apologetic text in the very near future
If you need air...call it in
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

[quote="Uncle dans leg"]Anyone who enjoys watching the failings of the Maple Laughs should be enjoying the game today. :P

I sense Nonis will be sending GMMG an apologetic text in the very near future[/quote]

The funny thing is, the leaves lost and moved up the standings last night. I'll be shocked if they miss the playoffs. Look at the East right now.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Canucks sign U.S. college free agent Kellan Lain. The Canucks are really trying hard to get bigger.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canu ... story.html
VANCOUVER – The Canucks found a gem through U.S. college free agency in defenceman Chris Tanev and they hope they have found another in 6-6, 220-pound centre Kellan Lain after signing him Saturday to a one-year contract.

Lain, 23, is a native of Oakville, Ont., and has played the last three seasons with the Lake Superior State Lakers of the Central Collegiate Hockey Association. Lain had eight goals, eight assists and 111 penalty minutes during the 2012-13 campaign. The Canucks intend to assign him to the American League’s Chicago Wolves.

“He has a good blend of both speed and skill,” said Canuck assistant general manager Laurence Gilman. “We’re going to bring him to Vancouver, as we usually do with new players, to get him acclimated to our organization and he will then join Chicago sometime in the midweek.”

Lain received a $92,500 signing bonus on his one-year contract, which was the longest he could sign for based on his age. He will receive a $70,000 salary (pro-rated) in the American League and $832,500 (pro-rated) if he is called up to the Canucks.

According to Gilman, Lain had been heavily scouted by Canuck senior advisor Stan Smyl, whose duties include watching U.S. colleges.

“He’s been on Stan’s radar for quite some time and we have followed him very, very closely,” Gilman said. “We were in competition for him with a number of other NHL teams.”

Lain shoots left and led the Lakers in faceoff wins with 313. The Canucks are in dire need of a left-handed centreman adept on the draw after shutting down Manny Malhotra (vision) earlier this year.

Reached at his parents home Saturday, Lain was understandably excited to sign his first professional contract. He said 10 teams were originally in the hunt for his services before it came down to a final four.

“It was a tough choice,” he said. “Picking an NHL team is never easy when more than one wants you. Growing up in Canada, it’s the same story -- we all want to play in the NHL. Now that it’s a possibility, it’s really exciting, especially coming to an organization like Vancouver. It’s a special city and they have a great team.”

Asked for a scouting report on himself, Lain said: “I’m pretty much described as a big centreman who can skate, is good in his own end, is good on faceoffs, can kill penalties and chip in once in a while offensively. So that’s pretty much how I’m described and I agree. I also like to play feisty. I’ve played feisty my whole life.”

Plans call for Lain to fly to Vancouver on Sunday and watch the Canucks play Monday against Minnesota and Tuesday against St. Louis before he heads off to the Wolves. By the way, Lain played against Tanev “a little bit” in the greater Toronto minor hockey system. He is four months older than Tanev but added that he doesn’t know the Canuck defenceman personally.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Perry 8 years 66 mil

Loyalty
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Arachnid wrote:Perry 8 years 66 mil

Loyalty
Bye bye Bobby?

It is to wonder.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Lancer wrote:

Loyalty
Bye bye Bobby?

It is to wonder.
You can bet they'll be dealing Jonas Hiller, which isn't exactly great news to any other team hoping to acquire a goalie.. :look:

As for other players on the club, I would guess they try to hold onto Ryan at the expense of other depth. Teemu Selanne can't play forever and losing both players would be a huge blow.

Like I said they'll move Hiller, they'll take a hard line with Koivu, they'll probably do the same with Toni Lydman or just allow him to walk, they can afford to do this now that they have a few prospects cracking the roster (Holland, Palmieri, Etem) and others learning the pro game (Smith-Pelly, Lindholm, Vatanen).

Beyond that, the Ducks have some revenue sharing money to play with starting this year which probably makes the ~$10m in raises to Getzlaf, Perry and Fowler a little bit more bearable.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

dbr wrote:
Lancer wrote:

Loyalty
Bye bye Bobby?

It is to wonder.
You can bet they'll be dealing Jonas Hiller, which isn't exactly great news to any other team hoping to acquire a goalie.. :look:

As for other players on the club, I would guess they try to hold onto Ryan at the expense of other depth. Teemu Selanne can't play forever and losing both players would be a huge blow.

Like I said they'll move Hiller, they'll take a hard line with Koivu, they'll probably do the same with Toni Lydman or just allow him to walk, they can afford to do this now that they have a few prospects cracking the roster (Holland, Palmieri, Etem) and others learning the pro game (Smith-Pelly, Lindholm, Vatanen).

Beyond that, the Ducks have some revenue sharing money to play with starting this year which probably makes the ~$10m in raises to Getzlaf, Perry and Fowler a little bit more bearable.
They'll lose some players, they've never been a cap team and with 16 players signed for next year they are basically at their payroll for this year. Still need to sign 7 guys and that's with Selanne and Koivu gone.

Even with Hiller gone they would need to do some manipulation to sign their guys. I really see this year's Ducks team as a 1 year wonder, absolutely everything is going right for them, they are not as good as their record.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

They may not be as good next year (it's hard to believe any franchise would sustain the kind of success the Ducks and Blackhawks have had so far) in fact they may not be as good later this year.

That being said the Ducks ownership pushed hard to get revenue sharing and I understand they promised to use it to improve the team.

They are close to next year's payroll right now but dealing Hiller and replacing him with a ~$1m guy helps, Teemu Selanne has accepted some pretty friendly contracts the last few years and may do so again so that could save them another chunk of change, and like I said earlier they will probably need to rely on some young players in key roles in order to remain within a few million of this year's cap number.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see them end up spending more next year - which in this case means keeping their core together rather than going on a Darcy Regier style spending spree.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

The Ducks also have a promising up and comer in Etem who had a cool 61 goals in 65 games in his last whl season.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Komisarek is free now, except with his $4.5m cap hit.
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 1h
Komisarek has waived no-move clause. He will report if claimed. If not willl report to Marlies.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Hmmm... I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Komisarek. Not sure how much of his game has deteriorated, but he's a right-side D, has some muscle and used to play with an edge. If we can find someone to take on Ballard's contract, I'd trade him for next to nothing like a 6th round pick (pure salary dump) and claim Komisarek.

Jovocop wrote:Komisarek is free now, except with his $4.5m cap hit.
Komisarek has waived no-move clause. He will report if claimed. If not willl report to Marlies.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Hmmm... I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Komisarek. Not sure how much of his game has deteriorated, but he's a right-side D, has some muscle and used to play with an edge. If we can find someone to take on Ballard's contract, I'd trade him for next to nothing like a 6th round pick (pure salary dump) and claim Komisarek.

Jovocop wrote:Komisarek is free now, except with his $4.5m cap hit.

A swap of Ballard and Komisarek would be good but I think if the Canucks were interested they could have grabbed him for a 6th round pick already.
The only HW the Canucks need
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Hockey Widow wrote: A swap of Ballard and Komisarek would be good but I think if the Canucks were interested they could have grabbed him for a 6th round pick already.
Or for Ballard for that matter.

Keith may fit in much better in TO.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Can the Canucks not afford him now that Booth is likely on LTIR?

I would take that chance I think.....

.....nevermind, thought he was UFA come July, but he has one more year remaining on his contract after this one.