Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ClamRussel wrote: Sure they have, they won the Cup w/o Malone. That was so long ago btw, they had Bill Guerin on the team. If I was them I'd sell the farm to win now. How many years do Malkin & Crosby have in their prime? By the time Pouliot is ready to contribute imagine where their current core will be. Having a pair like they have up the middle does not happen very often. Agreed they need more toughness, big time!

Go Habs!!!
Need to also consider that they have Maatta (19), Niskanen (27), Letang (27), Bortuzzo (25) already on their back end. Players like Scott Harrington (21) and Brian Dummolin (22) in the pipe. They aren't exactly old. The guys they have that ARE old (Martin, Orpik, Scuderi) are the kind they can replace with UFA deals or phase out.

Trading a guy like Pouliot in a package for Ryan Kesler will not cripple their depth now, nor in 4-5 years, but it WILL give them that dynamic shut-down centre, who can ride Shotgun with Crosby, play the PK, or anchor a depth line. There's a lot of options for them. I would not be shocked to see Kesler wind up with 40 goals again if he had Crosby passing to him on PP's and the odd 5-on-5 shift.

Now that Boston is done, maybe they want in on the RK sweepstakes. Him and Bergeron would be an epic shutdown combo ;)
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: Sure they have, they won the Cup w/o Malone. That was so long ago btw, they had Bill Guerin on the team. If I was them I'd sell the farm to win now. How many years do Malkin & Crosby have in their prime? By the time Pouliot is ready to contribute imagine where their current core will be. Having a pair like they have up the middle does not happen very often. Agreed they need more toughness, big time!

Go Habs!!!
Need to also consider that they have Maatta (19), Niskanen (27), Letang (27), Bortuzzo (25) already on their back end. Players like Scott Harrington (21) and Brian Dummolin (22) in the pipe. They aren't exactly old. The guys they have that ARE old (Martin, Orpik, Scuderi) are the kind they can replace with UFA deals or phase out.

Trading a guy like Pouliot in a package for Ryan Kesler will not cripple their depth now, nor in 4-5 years, but it WILL give them that dynamic shut-down centre, who can ride Shotgun with Crosby, play the PK, or anchor a depth line. There's a lot of options for them. I would not be shocked to see Kesler wind up with 40 goals again if he had Crosby passing to him on PP's and the odd 5-on-5 shift.
The key is Letang. If they can reasonably project he'll be fit to play over the next several seasons, Pouliot is a redundant asset for the next several years.
Now that Boston is done, maybe they want in on the RK sweepstakes. Him and Bergeron would be an epic shutdown combo ;)
I think the possibilities of deals between the clubs become more likely if Benning is hired. I just hope the Canucks' don't try to do a lateral core move i.e. an Alex Edler for Louie Eriksson swap.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Well Boyle is on the market.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=452269
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

For the right price, and assuming we can move say an Edler type for a decent return, Boyle for 1-2 years to run the PP might be nice. I wouldn't want to blow a ton of cap nor term but as a short term remedy for the PP it would be intriguing. But I see him in the same light as Campbell, good offensive potential but old!

Of course if we are rebuilding.....
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I'd take Boyle as a stopgap here if we ship out defensemen in retooling type moves but I doubt he signs here if that's the direction the team is heading in.

If the team is not heading in that direction and thinks it can contend, they'd have to get him to agree to some pretty advantageous terms to make it worthwhile given he's not the player he used to be. He's over 35 so no multi-year deal either.

Who knows, maybe he wants to stay on the west coast now and can't get a deal from SJ, LA or Anaheim. If he'd take a one year deal where the bulk of his compensation is through bonuses I could see quite a few times making a pitch.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Apparently both Shero and Bylsma are out in Pittsburgh.

Makes sense. If the franchise needs a shake-up you're better off firing the GM than trading one of your superstar players near the peak of their careers..
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

dbr wrote:Who knows, maybe he wants to stay on the west coast now and can't get a deal from SJ, LA or Anaheim. If he'd take a one year deal where the bulk of his compensation is through bonuses I could see quite a few times making a pitch.
SJ will not be resigning him for any price. Wilson has already declared hi spot is being taken by Burns who is moving back to D. They'll be in the market for a winger.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

dbr wrote:Apparently both Shero and Bylsma are out in Pittsburgh.

Makes sense. If the franchise needs a shake-up you're better off firing the GM than trading one of your superstar players near the peak of their careers..
Apparently, for now, it's just Shero being fired. Bylsma is still with the team.

Weird...
givemeda411
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by givemeda411 »

Hockey Widow wrote:For the right price, and assuming we can move say an Edler type for a decent return, Boyle for 1-2 years to run the PP might be nice. I wouldn't want to blow a ton of cap nor term but as a short term remedy for the PP it would be intriguing. But I see him in the same light as Campbell, good offensive potential but old!

Of course if we are rebuilding.....

Something around $3M would be nice for 1yr, but I'd rather see what Corrado can do. Something tells me Corrado and Edler on the point will work out well.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
dbr wrote:Apparently both Shero and Bylsma are out in Pittsburgh.

Apparently, for now, it's just Shero being fired. Bylsma is still with the team.

Weird...
Could be similar to what we had in Vancouver. Michael D. Gillis was shown the door weeks before Fonzie got the boot.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

givemeda411 wrote:Something around $3M would be nice for 1yr, but I'd rather see what Corrado can do. Something tells me Corrado and Edler on the point will work out well.
Yeah, Boyle's probably looking for a one-year deal for three mil.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote:
givemeda411 wrote:Something around $3M would be nice for 1yr, but I'd rather see what Corrado can do. Something tells me Corrado and Edler on the point will work out well.
Good call good buddy, Boyle would get twice that on a 1-year.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Strangelove wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:
Good call good buddy, Boyle would get twice that on a 1-year.
Yeah, it could be an Iggy type deal with a three mil-ish type base and easy to obtain bonuses to double that.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Betamax wrote: Yeah, it could be an Iggy type deal with a three mil-ish type base and easy to obtain bonuses to double that.
Boyle at $6M would be fucking insane. He's a shell of his former self. Undersized, declining skills and pushing 40. Yikes.

I'd also steer clear of those bonus-money contracts as much as possible. Boston is gonna be stung with a $4.5M cap penalty next season thanks in part to Iginla's deal. Say goodbye to the Savard LTIR...
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Ideally Boyle will get a 2 year plus team option, if a team really wants him though they'll give him a 3 year contract.

ala Gonchar - http://www.silversevensens.com/2014/5/1 ... -dan-boyle

Most likely some team will give Boyle a 3 year $5.5M per contract.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.