Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote: The bar is set for Lucic's next contract. Get ready for it.
Somewhere out there Dean Lombardi is double-fisting the scotch while just up the road Bob Murray's ears feel like they are being dipped in the depths of hell. :lol:

The Kings have 19 players signed (including goalies) right now with $7M in cap space, and that factors in half of Lucic's contract being picked up by Boston. I suspect they will be end up starting the season with $3M in cap space and a full roster.

Kopitar is going to get $8M minimum. There's no way around it now. Kesler doesn't compare to Kopitar, and with some of the crazy deals that have been inked recently $9M isn't out of the realm of possibility either.

Lucic will want at least $6M, and it could be closer to $7M if he has a good season. He'll be 28 years old and looking to secure something that takes him into his mid-thirties.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote:
Somewhere out there Dean Lombardi is double-fisting the scotch while just up the road Bob Murray's ears feel like they are being dipped in the depths of hell. :lol:

The Kings have 19 players signed (including goalies) right now with $7M in cap space, and that factors in half of Lucic's contract being picked up by Boston. I suspect they will be end up starting the season with $3M in cap space and a full roster.

Kopitar is going to get $8M minimum. There's no way around it now. Kesler doesn't compare to Kopitar, and with some of the crazy deals that have been inked recently $9M isn't out of the realm of possibility either.

Lucic will want at least $6M, and it could be closer to $7M if he has a good season. He'll be 28 years old and looking to secure something that takes him into his mid-thirties.
Voynov could be out of his legal problems by then too so you have to factor in his salty, potentially.the cap will go up again too. But ya, gonna be hard for them to keep everyone.
The only HW the Canucks need
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Mëds wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Kopitar is going to get $8M minimum. There's no way around it now. Kesler doesn't compare to Kopitar, and with some of the crazy deals that have been inked recently $9M isn't out of the realm of possibility either.
What's Stamkos going to get?

TBL has 14 Players signed next season for $51mil. They also need a goalie after next season, as Bishop is a UFA in 2017 and I don't know anything about Vasilevskiy.

Ohlund is still on the books for them next season WTF?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

vic wrote: What's Stamkos going to get?
It probably depends how he views Tampa and if Stevie Y can convince him to take a little less to spread the wealth. My guess would be what Kane and Toews are making ($10.5M per) would be a starting point. Max salary is something like $14.3M.
Mëds wrote:
Can't say I feel bad for them. There's also the Mike Richards scenario, which I don't think is over. They might have escaped his cap hit for now, but I'd wager there's an NHLPA appeal coming (they have 60 days from the time he was terminated). Especially if the "incident" involved drugs. That's covered under the CBA, and it would mean Richards would enter the league's substance abuse program and doesn't necessarily mean his contract can be terminated.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote:Johnny O signs in Dallas, two years 3.7 mil per. Got tired of waiting on Chicago I guess. So Dallas trades Dailey to get Sharp then sign Johnny O to replace Dailey. Smart work by Nil.
That's Sbisa type money . I know who i would rather have .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Johnny O signs in Dallas, two years 3.7 mil per. Got tired of waiting on Chicago I guess. So Dallas trades Dailey to get Sharp then sign Johnny O to replace Dailey. Smart work by Nil.
That's Sbisa type money . I know who i would rather have .
Jordie Benn would be a better option than Sbisa...

I think the Stars are due for a bounce-back season. Nichushkin should be healthy, they've added Sharp, and while they have a pile of cash tied up in goalies, both Niemi and Lehtonen can be starters.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Man Benning is asleep at the wheel.mwhy wasn't he in on that?
:D

Benning signs Stewart, bedwetters: Image

Benning doesn't sign Stewart, bedwetters: Image

Fear and loathing in Vancouver. Image
Stewart has a high Cap hit I think, and that might explain it
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Stewart's cap hit is 1.7mil. Not really something I would consider "high." And certainly a more useful player than Prust not to mention cheaper. "Character" is the only issue I would see as a negative to that signing.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: "Character" is the only issue I would see as a negative to that signing.
Which will kill any deal in Canuckland.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

JelloPuddingPop wrote:Stewart's cap hit is 1.7mil. Not really something I would consider "high." And certainly a more useful player than Prust not to mention cheaper. "Character" is the only issue I would see as a negative to that signing.
There's a reason Stewart only got that much as an UFA, he's really inconsistent, lacks any defensive awareness, I guess that's why he's bounced around the league often.

So with Prust besides the scoring, Prust is way better in all other facets of the game compared to Stewart.
I'd rather our rookies see and view how much hard work Prust puts into the game, he'll be a good mentor, along with being a perfect fit in our bottom six.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

He had a better offer from Buffalo, but probably figures he has a better shot at winning a third cup ring with the Texans, so he settled for them.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote: So with Prust besides the scoring, Prust is way better in all other facets of the game compared to Stewart.
I'd rather our rookies see and view how much hard work Prust puts into the game, he'll be a good mentor, along with being a perfect fit in our bottom six.
All this character talk makes me think of this:
"Andrew Ference is a really big piece for us. Our depth on defence we have substantially improved. I've had my eye on him all year thinking he would be a perfect fit for our group," said MacTavish.

"He's a guy who is a warrior, had great experience, is still playing at a very high level. When I talked at the end of the year about the need for our group to better understand the commitment level necessary to have success, Andrew's the guy who not only can articulate that, but he demonstrates it by the way he plays."
It's what teams say when they know they're going to be shitty and are looking something to sell to the fans. I'm fine with Prust (not what we gave up for him), but what's wrong with holding the Sedins, or Burrows, or Hamhuis up as "character" guys who can mentor the kids the right way? What is a 4th line face-puncher, an older Dorsett, going to tell Jake Virtanen about playing hockey the "right way" that Henrik Sedin or Alex Burrows cannot? I'm sure Dorsett can tell the kid who to wrap his wrists for maximum protection in a fight...
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote: a 4th line face-puncher
Is that all you think of Prust?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: a 4th line face-puncher
Is that all you think of Prust?
Pretty much. He played 11 mins/game last season, 11th on Montreal's forwards. He did get significant PK time, but Vancouver had the 2nd-best PK in the league, not sure how much improvement we need (a .07 % improvement would make us #1). I don't see him supplanting Bonino, Higgins, Burrows or Hansen. Horvat will likely take over for Richardson, so Prust might eat some of Matthias' PK time, but that's it. He doesn't score. He hits less than Kassian. What he does do is fight. 16 times last season. 3rd in the league, and one less than Dorsett.

Anyone expecting Prust, at 31, to go back in time to when he was 26 is delusional. Assuming he doesn't get hurt, he'll be good for 11-12 minutes per night, 15 fights, and 12-15 points. It's probably exactly what the Canucks are after, but the price to attain it was horrid.
cfp
CC Veteran

Post by cfp »

Soooo......Sbisa or Del Zotto?