Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Good contract for a good player who ups his game when it matters . I can think of several Canuck contracts that are far worse than this one . It's the going rate for a top end defenceman.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Good contract for a good player
Bad contract for a good player.

Seabiscuit will be 39 before the contract is up, he's already in decline.

(and this is a top-ten-cap-hit among dee with an NMC)
Blob Mckenzie wrote: who ups his game when it matters .
I'm not convinced about that.

His minutes go up drastically in the playoffs yes, but how many more years can he do that?
Blob Mckenzie wrote: I can think of several Canuck contracts that are far worse than this one .
Irrelevant and irreverent.
Blob Mckenzie wrote: It's the going rate for a top end defenceman.
"top end"??

He's more like a #2.

Compare other dee cap-hits:

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/players?year=2016

.... and consider the fact he's likely to be more like a #4 long before this contract is up.

RAPE!!!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

He will be a top pairing guy for a good chunk of that contract and maybe finish up as a 4/5 guy in his last two seasons . It's a year or two too long but smart teams pay their best players .Ignitowski pays his 3rd and 4th liners and scrub defencemen . One day perhaps he will grasp that it is the teams stars that actually drive the bus .

The contract is not a steal for the Hawks but it is market value for top 15-20 defencemen give or take a million .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

LOL you're fixated on Benning...

Ummm... we were talking about Seabrook good buddy!

I'm pretty sure all these heavy contracts are going to drag the Hawks out of Contender status sooner than later.

But they've won their Cups so they're happy I guess.

About Lord Benning.... just remember they laughed at Sir Isaac Newton once upon a time. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

The Hawks should be far more concerned about Hossa's cap recapture if he retires with a couple years left on his deal.

If he retires with 2 years left (at 40), they get slapped with a $9M penalty for those two seasons. If he quits with only one year left on his deal, it's $18M for one-year.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote:The Hawks should be far more concerned about Hossa's cap recapture if he retires with a couple years left on his deal.

If he retires with 2 years left (at 40), they get slapped with a $9M penalty for those two seasons. If he quits with only one year left on his deal, it's $18M for one-year.

What are the odds he doesn't put them in that position? I think he will have a sense of loyalty and obligation and he simply won't retire. He may refuse to report, get suspended, or he will stay an active member of the team with a roster spot and just keep playing.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Hockey Widow wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:The Hawks should be far more concerned about Hossa's cap recapture if he retires with a couple years left on his deal.

What are the odds he doesn't put them in that position? I think he will have a sense of loyalty and obligation and he simply won't retire. He may refuse to report, get suspended, or he will stay an active member of the team with a roster spot and just keep playing.
It's possible, but looking at his contract it's abundantly clear that nobody expected him to play those final couple seasons. His contract drops from $7.9M this season, to $4M next year, and finished with the four $1M "throw-away" years.

Maybe he goes the Pronger/Savard route and milks his next injury so the Hawks get some cap relief, but I wouldn't be shocked to see the guy walk away after next season.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

leaves have released Glencross and Setoguchi from their PTO's.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Zajac to TO?
According to Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger in New Jersey, the leaves and Devils may have a trade on the table that would send the 30-year-old centre to Toronto.

It is believed, Chere writes, that Maple leaves general manager Lou Lamoriello is discussing several potential trade scenarios with Devils GM Ray Shero, including centre Nazem Kadri as a potential piece of a trade or a package deal that includes winger James van Riemsdyk.
Who's the rebuilding team here?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

^^^

No kidding, that type of deal is not what a team rebuilding does, unless they get a high draft pick back.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:

The bolded thing won't free a team from the Cap Recapture.

Yeahno, there is no way to avoid Recapture Monster....

Listen, and understand.

The Recapture Monster is out there.

It can't be bargained with.

It can't be reasoned with.

It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear.

And it absolutely will not stop... EVER... unless the player plays out the entire contract.

:mrgreen:

Oh sure, a player could spend the last few seasons of his contract on the LTIR.

(allowing a team to spend over the cap to a degree)

But it better be a legitimate injury, otherwise....
Article 16.11, P. 103: “The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is: (i) placed, or remains, on the Injured Reserve List, or (ii) designated Injured Non-Roster. If the Commissioner has reason to believe that the Injured Reserve List or Injured Non-Roster status has not been utilized properly by the involved Club or otherwise Circumvents any provision of this Agreement, or if he determines that the Club has used the Injured Reserve and/or Injured Non-Roster designations to evade the Active Roster limit, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club as he deems appropriate.”
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Who's the rebuilding team here?
Funny thing is, they are both supposed to be rebuilding teams.

Both teams have said as much many times...

The Devs took Lou's GM position away from him only because he apparently could not grasp the "rebuild" concept

... and now Lou is running the "rebuilding" Leaves! ImageImageImage
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Thanks for the clarity Doc. I just don't think Hossa screws them. If he can, he will play.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

With Hossa's concussion history he's a lock on the HOF before he retires.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

The bolded thing won't free a team from the Cap Recapture.

Yeahno, there is no way to avoid Recapture Monster....

Listen, and understand.

The Recapture Monster is out there.

It can't be bargained with.

It can't be reasoned with.

It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear.

And it absolutely will not stop... EVER... unless the player plays out the entire contract.
lol

SL, they just gotta pull the ol' LA Kings trick, get him addicted to pain killers, get him to cross the Canadian border with some oxy, terminate contract = extremely reduced cap recapture penalty.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.