Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

vic wrote:Patrick Roy quits, looks like him and Burnaby Joe aren't on the same page or he and Joe have one idea and the owners have another...
I have thought long and hard over the course of the summer about how I might improve this team to give it the depth it needs and bring it to a higher level. To achieve this, the vision of the coach and VP-Hockey Operations needs to be perfectly aligned with that of the organization. He must also have a say in the decisions that impact the team's performance. These conditions are not currently met.
http://www.tsn.ca/roy-resigns-from-aval ... n-1.544058
Interestingly, he doesn't say anything abt Burnaby Joe, just whoever the VP of hockey Ops is. Saint Patrick was one of my fave goalies. The Avs looked great under him during that first year, but for whatever reason, the team never improved and seemed to slip backwards.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
vic wrote:Patrick Roy quits, looks like him and Burnaby Joe aren't on the same page or he and Joe have one idea and the owners have another...
I have thought long and hard over the course of the summer about how I might improve this team to give it the depth it needs and bring it to a higher level. To achieve this, the vision of the coach and VP-Hockey Operations needs to be perfectly aligned with that of the organization. He must also have a say in the decisions that impact the team's performance. These conditions are not currently met.
http://www.tsn.ca/roy-resigns-from-aval ... n-1.544058
Interestingly, he doesn't say anything abt Burnaby Joe, just whoever the VP of hockey Ops is. Saint Patrick was one of my fave goalies. The Avs looked great under him during that first year, but for whatever reason, the team never improved and seemed to slip backwards.

I know it's Wikipedia, but:
On May 10, 2013, the Avalanche promoted Sakic Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations. In this expanded role, Sakic has the final say on all matters regarding hockey personnel.[55] He now shares most of the duties normally held by a general manager with head coach Patrick Roy, who also doubles as vice president of hockey operations. General Manager Greg Sherman remained in his post, but now serves mainly in an advisory role to Roy and Sakic.
So if those titles are true, he's either referring to himself as "the coach and VP-Hockey Operations" or he's referring to himself as the "coach" and Joe as the "VP-Hockey Operations"

Either way, Roy just have his old team the two finger salute 1 month before players report for physicals.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I don't see what everyone's harping about. Sure Roy is arrogant, that's no surprise.

He's the coach and VP/HO. If he doesn't agree with management he should leave. You really have to read between the lines to say this is totally the result of Roy's ego. The coach is the one steering the ship on the ice, he better agree with the direction. If he doesn't show him the door.....in this case he showed himself out.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

vic wrote:
On May 10, 2013, the Avalanche promoted Sakic Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations. In this expanded role, Sakic has the final say on all matters regarding hockey personnel.[55] He now shares most of the duties normally held by a general manager with head coach Patrick Roy, who also doubles as vice president of hockey operations. General Manager Greg Sherman remained in his post, but now serves mainly in an advisory role to Roy and Sakic.
So if those titles are true, he's either referring to himself as "the coach and VP-Hockey Operations" or he's referring to himself as the "coach" and Joe as the "VP-Hockey Operations"

Either way, Roy just have his old team the two finger salute 1 month before players report for physicals.
Hmm.. maybe it is Burnaby Joe then. I always thought those 2 got along very well, as I seemed to recall Joe brought in his old buddy Saint Patrick for the job. I guess the constant losing and with things not going well, it can change things.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
vic wrote:

Hmm.. maybe it is Burnaby Joe then. I always thought those 2 got along very well, as I seemed to recall Joe brought in his old buddy Saint Patrick for the job. I guess the constant losing and with things not going well, it can change things.
Search the owner! TMTL... The guy owns pretty much all pro sports in the entire state.
Lots a bucks!!
I can see he may be a tad frustrated.

Really though, Joe was so vague, he's either a bold faced liar or he really is clueless as to what's going on,
OR!!! He thinks, or knows, the hammer is about to fall on him and Pat knew too so "He Did It My Way", or so the song goes...
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote:I don't see what everyone's harping about. Sure Roy is arrogant, that's no surprise.

He's the coach and VP/HO. If he doesn't agree with management he should leave. You really have to read between the lines to say this is totally the result of Roy's ego. The coach is the one steering the ship on the ice, he better agree with the direction. If he doesn't show him the door.....in this case he showed himself out.
Because.... why NOW?

Nothing has happened since July 1 (except re-signing Barrie 2 weeks ago which Roy may not have liked).

Leaving NOW puts the Avs in a tough spot, not much time to find the right coach.

And we all know Roy has a history of hissy fits.

Sakic was surprised, it was a sudden move, put 2 + 2 together.

Roy has walked out on his team due to extreme anger issues in the past.

I was going to mention that domestic violence incident but then thought better of it.

____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

He's walked out on his team as a player and as a coach.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Didn't he also decline the Olympics one year under speculation that he feared he would fail a drug test for PEDs?

He was hired with the promise of a role greater than coach. He obviously felt that he didn't have a strong enough say. But his timing? Ya, perfect Roy. Hit em when it hurts.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Jimmy Vesey to Canucks countdown, I'd offer max rookie contract. :D
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote:Jimmy Vesey to Canucks countdown, I'd offer max rookie contract. :D
That's tomorrow (Monday the 15th). I see no reason not to try and try hard...go for it...
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Fabian Brunnström

Vermette to decide on the lottery winner tomorrow

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Topper wrote:
Fabian Brunnström

Vermette to decide on the lottery winner tomorrow
I'm guessing the Vesey signing will open up the floodgates for the rest of the decent UFA''s.

Verms Huds
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
givemeda411
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by givemeda411 »

Vrbata to sign with the Yotes tomorrow.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

givemeda411 wrote:Vrbata to sign with the Yotes tomorrow.
to wander the desert for 40 years