Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Jovocop »

SKYO wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Is Booth still considered expensive?? At least Booth can hit hard and play defense... :mrgreen:
Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
#Sabres Hodgson's new 6 year #NHL deal is worth 25.5M. Cap hit of 4.5M.
Kadri 99GP 26G 37A +13, 0.64ppg $2.9m per season x 2
Hodgson 139GP 35G 42A -2, 0.55ppg $4.5m per season x 6

All of a sudden, Nonis looks like a genius... :lol:
Hodgson will be a point producing machine with some clutch goals, and that's about it.
$4.5M per will be decent in a few years especially if Vanek stays.
I understand that Kadri has a bridge contract and that is why the $ is not high. I just don't understand why the Sabres would sign Hodgson to a 6-yr contract when he really hasn't earned it like Kadri.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Jovocop wrote:
I understand that Kadri has a bridge contract and that is why the $ is not high. I just don't understand why the Sabres would sign Hodgson to a 6-yr contract when he really hasn't earned it like Kadri.

The Sabres have a stupid GM. Even a new CBA can't fix stupid.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Madcombinepilot wrote:When Brad Boyes ( 35 points last year) has a PTO and no contract, Manny will be hard pressed to even get that..

Unfortunately, Manny is a victim of timing.
When it comes to getting a contract and a chance to play hockey professionally, I have difficulty assigning the label of "victim" to any professional hockey player who has already made millions of dollars playing a game.

Malhotra is a victim of a bad injury, no question.

But really, when you assign the label of a victim to people who suffered and died during the holocaust, or some of the innocents of the war torn middle east, then using that label to describe a guy who just can't get a minimum six figure contract just seems to be too much of a stretch.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Mëds wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:When Brad Boyes ( 35 points last year) has a PTO and no contract, Manny will be hard pressed to even get that..

When it comes to getting a contract and a chance to play hockey professionally, I have difficulty assigning the label of "victim" to any professional hockey player who has already made millions of dollars playing a game.

But really, when you assign the label of a victim to people who suffered and died during the holocaust, or some of the innocents of the war torn middle east, then using that label to describe a guy who just can't get a minimum six figure contract just seems to be too much of a stretch.

A stretch of what?!? Vocabulary?
Victim

: a living being sacrificed to a deity or in the performance of a religious rite
: one that is acted on and usually adversely affected by a force or agent <the schools are victims of the social system>: as
a (1) : one that is injured, destroyed, or sacrificed under any of various conditions <a victim of cancer> <a victim of the auto crash> <a murder victim> (2) : one that is subjected to oppression, hardship, or mistreatment <a frequent victim of political attacks>
b : one that is tricked or duped <a con man's victim>
— vic·tim·hood noun
See victim defined for English-language learners »
See victim defined for kids »
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/victim

Seeing as most rational humans living in the west don't see Nazi Germany as a religion, I guess we will go with the second interpretation of the word, shall we?? (Rational people call it "context")
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: I think Franson takes a similar deal. They can still trade JML to a team that needs the cap and a D'man. Look for a deal similar to the Ehrhoff to Vancouver deal.
Ehrhoff was just beginning to blossom having just turned 27 and had 2 years left on his contract.

JML is damaged goods and will be 33 in November with 3 years left on his contract.

Dave Poulin even admitted Liles has not been the same player since his concussion in December 2011.

No way does Nonis find a team to dump JML upon.

The Leaves are thoroughly screwed. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Former Canuck Hedberg on a try out contract with NYR after being bought out by NJ.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Madcombinepilot wrote:Seeing as most rational humans living in the west don't see Nazi Germany as a religion, I guess we will go with the second interpretation of the word, shall we?? (Rational people call it "context")
No I am pretty sure everyone thought you were equating Manny to a 1930s Polish Jew and the CBA to Hitler until Mëds rode in and saved the day. :lol:
Last edited by dbr on Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

ukcanuck wrote:So WTF
Now Florida realizes they got shit for goalies and theyre after Tim Thomas out of retirement!?!?!??

I thought dale tallon was supposed to be a smart hockey guy...
Tallon is a(n arguably) smart hockey guy on a budget. And I am preeeeetty darn sure Tim Thomas will cost them a shade under the $40m they would have had to commit to Roberto Luongo.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

dbr wrote: No I am pretty sure everyone thought you were equating Manny to a 1930s Polish Jew and the CBA to Hitler until Mëds rode in and saved the day. :lol:
And just in time, I might add. I was about to call the RCMP Hate Crime department.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

dbr wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:So WTF
Now Florida realizes they got shit for goalies and theyre after Tim Thomas out of retirement!?!?!??

I thought dale tallon was supposed to be a smart hockey guy...
Tallon is a(n arguably) smart hockey guy on a budget. And I am preeeeetty darn sure Tim Thomas will cost them a shade under the $40m they would have had to commit to Roberto Luongo.
There is no other way to describe pursuing Thomas than a pure scramble to find a legit NHL goalie. The guys a year out of the game and old as the tea bags floating in Boston harbour.

Luongo would have been a great fit end of story
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote:

Lol the ambulance driver has trouble seeing someone as a victim...
Probably should work on your empathy skills on your next course there Mëds :)
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

ukcanuck wrote:There is no other way to describe pursuing Thomas than a pure scramble to find a legit NHL goalie. The guys a year out of the game and old as the tea bags floating in Boston harbour.
You're right.
Luongo would have been a great fit end of story
You're right.

Luongo [and his contract], on the other hand...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ukcanuck wrote:
Mëds wrote:

Lol the ambulance driver has trouble seeing someone as a victim...
Probably should work on your empathy skills on your next course there Mëds :)
I fear we are the victims of your poor social skills, even worse hockey knowledge, gleeful pathetic humour and homoerotic relationships with certain posters but hey, that doesn't stop us being ol' cyber pals does it? Right my fellow Canucklehead?! :P
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Interesting... What would be the price tag??
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames
Hearing UFA ex-Wing Damien Brunner may be talking to Dallas (Jim Nill knows him) and New Jersey, possibly also Vancouver.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Arachnid wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
I fear we are the victims of your poor social skills, even worse hockey knowledge, gleeful pathetic humour and homoerotic relationships with certain posters but hey, that doesn't stop us being ol' cyber pals does it? Right my fellow Canucklehead?! :P
Of course it doesn't stop us from being pals ! I wouldn't know what to do without the source of abuse and the opportunity to validate my self- loathing that my friends here present to me on a daily basis.

You can't get this dysfunction just anywhere you know lol

Btw Mëds is one of my favourite posters. he always has something to say that I disagree with but you cannot knock his passion.