Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Aaronp18 »

Thank goodness he stopped trying to phone people with that cash and is putting to better use.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Oilers taking a shit kicking from Ferraro today.....

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/ferraro-there-i ... w-1.149797

It's so accurate though.

Watching the body language of the Oilers in the highlights of that game against the 'Yotes was pretty telling.

That turnover goal up the middle that went 5-hole on Scrivens was brutal, and the way Scrivens just seemed defeated after it went in said everything.....the team has lost all hope.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Topper wrote:I believe ca$h, like Kane weights his back with for push ups.
So he has 9 points in 17 games... is this fucktard trying to get traded?

He should try showing off by putting some points on the board.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

BurningBeard wrote:

I'll be impressed when he can do pushups with the same value in quarters.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

BurningBeard wrote:

wot a doooosh Kane is.

Keep him away from my Canucks.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Topper wrote:Kings fine $100,000 for allowing Voynov to skate with the team during an "optional" practice while he is suspended.
Serves them right. The Kings were super lucky that the NHL gave them cap relief in the first place! Voynov was not injured, but suspended on a potentially criminal matter...no way they should get cap relief for that.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Imagine getting suspended without pay in your job for being accused of a crime, while you are still presumed innocent under the Constitution. Then imagine being suspended without even facing a criminal charge, and without any opportunity to prove your innocence, for months while the prosecutor dithers over an extremely weak case.

He's already lost close to $1 million, including around $750k without even being charged. By Thursday, he'll have served the 2nd longest suspension in NHL history. This is in a case where his wife publically denies being a victim of domestic abuse and denies being hurt intentionally by Voynov.

I'm actually surprised that Voynov has been so passive in his defence, I would have expected the PA to get involved by now and file a grievance for the arbitrariness of the suspension.

Which leads me to believe that there is a "behind-closed-doors" agreement that Voynov will get his salary back once the case is over, so long as he plays along and doesn't try to embarrass the League (a la Adrian Petersen and Ray Rice).
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

ESQ wrote:Imagine getting suspended without pay in your job for being accused of a crime, while you are still presumed innocent under the Constitution. Then imagine being suspended without even facing a criminal charge, and without any opportunity to prove your innocence, for months while the prosecutor dithers over an extremely weak case.

He's already lost close to $1 million, including around $750k without even being charged. By Thursday, he'll have served the 2nd longest suspension in NHL history. This is in a case where his wife publically denies being a victim of domestic abuse and denies being hurt intentionally by Voynov.

I'm actually surprised that Voynov has been so passive in his defence, I would have expected the PA to get involved by now and file a grievance for the arbitrariness of the suspension.

Which leads me to believe that there is a "behind-closed-doors" agreement that Voynov will get his salary back once the case is over, so long as he plays along and doesn't try to embarrass the League (a la Adrian Petersen and Ray Rice).
I don't want to be "that guy" but Voynov has been collecting salary this whole time.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

dbr wrote:I don't want to be "that guy" but Voynov has been collecting salary this whole time.
Well met, sir.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The Kings protested loudly and often that having his salary count against the cap was unfair to them. They had games where they could only dress five D. The NHL and PA work out a deal to amend whatever needed attending to in the CBA to allow this to not count on the cap. And this is how LA repays that. It's like a spit in the face. The penalty should have been much higher, like the loss of $100,000 in cap until Voynov is traded or returns or his contract is voided on a conviction.

What a stupid move this was. It would have been like us having Torts run practices.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ESQ wrote:Imagine getting suspended without pay in your job for being accused of a crime, while you are still presumed innocent under the Constitution. Then imagine being suspended without even facing a criminal charge, and without any opportunity to prove your innocence, for months while the prosecutor dithers over an extremely weak case.

I have so many differing thoughts on this whole thing. Does anyone know off hand if this is typical for the league to suspend a player 1) while under investigation and/or 2) once charges are laid.

I get once there is a conviction. Was that AV's goalie suspended during the investigation? Can't remember and did that count on the cap?

There is no question that the league is trying to be politically correct here. Is it an overreaction on the eve of the Rice incident or is it fair? I take violence against women very seriously but I also believe in the notion of innocent until proven guilty. Sure he is getting paid so his livelihood is intack but his career is takng a hit. Is that fair? A tough question but domestic violence is a harsh issue. For him though, he can still play in the KHL and make millions.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The NFL is the first to my knowledge of leagues struggling to deal with this. They have completely bungled it with Ray Rice.
Initially a two game suspension
public outcry
admit they blew the call
video of the incident airs
indefinite suspension and release from the team (NFL does not have guaranteed contracts, though guarantees may be negotiated)
player and PA appeal and win
reinstated but now needs to find a team that will hire him.

The 49rs dealt with McDonald differently. Hosted their own internal investigation and loudly pronounced that they would take no action allowing due process in the courts first.

If what I'm reading in the sports news is correct, Peterson has a better chance of finding work meaning Russel Peters is right. Beat your kids. (not your wife)

It is a no with public relations debacle for the player, team and league.

TSN is reporting that the NHL is more than pissed with the Kings over this and is threatening a total ban of Voynov from the team facilities and staff. The relationship between Kings management and the league has been toxic with Bettman telling them they need manage their cap better and ownership asking if they need to have a cap cushion for bank bank robbers
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

On the eve of the Blues signing Brodeur the Ducks signed Bryzgalov today. Teams that felt players like Miller, Halak and Hiller were expendable now going to has beens for help n net due to injuries and sub par play. While teams like the Islanders, Canucks and Flames ride the standings.

Funny, most pundits felt the weak link for both the Blues and Ducks would be in net. Funny the Ducks didn't try to land Miller who would have loved being near LA.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Zemgus Girgensons currently has 399,356 votes to get into the game in Columbus. Canadiens defenseman P.K. Subban is the next highest, with 240,362. Crosby currently has 218,672 votes.
Latvians are stuffing the ballots. And why not? It's time for Rory 2.0.

LINK
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Hockey Widow wrote:Does anyone know off hand if this is typical for the league to suspend a player 1) while under investigation and/or 2) once charges are laid.
I don't think the NHL has ever suspended a player for off-ice criminal charges or investigations. Off the top of my head, Ryan Malone (drugs), Ed Belfour (drunk and disorderly), Byfuglien (drunk-boating), Craig MacTavish (vehicular manslaughter) - all were charged and faced no league or team discipline.
Hockey Widow wrote: Was that AV's goalie suspended during the investigation? Can't remember and did that count on the cap?
Varlamov was not suspended by the team or league, but as Daly says, "Circumstances were different in Varlamov. I can’t get more specific than that.” :roll:
There is no question that the league is trying to be politically correct here. Is it an overreaction on the eve of the Rice incident or is it fair? I take violence against women very seriously but I also believe in the notion of innocent until proven guilty. Sure he is getting paid so his livelihood is intack but his career is takng a hit. Is that fair?
I wouldn't have had a problem with the suspension if Voynov had been charged immediately. But with the DA taking months to decide whether to lay charges, without even having the opportunity for his day in court, I think the suspension is totally unfair.
Topper wrote:TSN is reporting that the NHL is more than pissed with the Kings over this and is threatening a total ban of Voynov from the team facilities and staff. The relationship between Kings management and the league has been toxic with Bettman telling them they need manage their cap better and ownership asking if they need to have a cap cushion for bank bank robbers
Nice to see the League shitting all over a different franchise for once :mrgreen: