Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by ukcanuck »

....and hockey related :mex:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote:Which really sucks and further lowers my opinion of the NHL....kinda like my opinion of Mëds understanding of pretty much everything not hockey related :look:
It's mutual.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote:....and hockey related :mex:
Also mutual.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:Which really sucks and further lowers my opinion of the NHL....kinda like my opinion of Mëds understanding of pretty much everything not hockey related :look:
It's mutual.
Of Omaha ?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote:
Mëds wrote:
It's mutual.
Of Omaha ?
Think we could start a fund?
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds checking out the game
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Strangelove wrote:
Mondi wrote: It's a terrible contract. Pretty much indisputably.
Only because they changed the rules mid-game.
Changing the rules on a contract that was accepted by the league was total BS.

But is was still a bad contract anyway and I thought so the day it was signed. Insanity. I doubt there would have been any takers for Luongo even if the rules on hadn't changed.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Zedlee wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

But is was still a bad contract anyway and I thought so the day it was signed. Insanity. I doubt there would have been any takers for Luongo even if the rules on hadn't changed.
I am not sure that contract would be a problem if the rule had not changed and the cap kept going up. It would not be a huge problem this season if the cap did not come down from $70.2m (prorated to $60m) to $64.3m. Just imagine if the cap hit were $75m, Luongo's contract would be a very affordable one.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

darren wrote:I realize that it's de rigueur around here to hate the leaves and all their works, but this trade provides further evidence of what is already clear: Phil Kessel is better than Tyler Seguin. Hamilton might still end up tipping the scales but on the whole that trade is not as bad as it is made out to be.

Seguin makes 5.7m (in Sedin territory)... not sure how that is "cost controlled". Kessel's next contract won't be much higher than that, if at all. That's first line money and Seguin has yet to show he's a first line player. The Bruins aren't exactly loaded with scorers, yet Seguin still can't assert himself as part of the core? Kessel has proven to be a first liner, in spades. Look at the numbers... regular season, playoffs (4G against Boston, or 4x as many goals as Seguin managed in 1/3 the games).
Putting aside the Kessel/Seguin drama, Toronto's offseason has been pretty entertaining to watch unfold.

I think Dave Bolland is a pretty good player but he's not going to replace what Mikhail Grabovski did, and Bozak soaks up all of the savings and then some in order to continue being a huge drag on the first line.

Even more entertaining is the fact that sixteen months ago Burkie signed a 28 year old Mikhail Grabovski to a five year deal at $5.5m per on the strength of a 29 goal season the year prior, now Nonis has paid almost $15m to make Grabovski's four remaining seasons go away so he can turn around and sign 29 year old David Clarkson to a seven year deal at nearly the same cap hit..
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

dbr wrote:Putting aside the Kessel/Seguin drama, Toronto's offseason has been pretty entertaining to watch unfold.

I think Dave Bolland is a pretty good player but he's not going to replace what Mikhail Grabovski did, and Bozak soaks up all of the savings and then some in order to continue being a huge drag on the first line.

Even more entertaining is the fact that sixteen months ago Burkie signed a 28 year old Mikhail Grabovski to a five year deal at $5.5m per on the strength of a 29 goal season the year prior, now Nonis has paid almost $15m to make Grabovski's four remaining seasons go away so he can turn around and sign 29 year old David Clarkson to a seven year deal at nearly the same cap hit..
And Dave Bolland is due a big raise in a year. He’ll be UFA and this will be his big money contract. After going out and getting him, Nonis is surely angling to sign the rat bastard to a 5+ year extension at probably somewhere around $5M per year. Grabovski may have been overpaid, but he was still a good second line centre and probably represented tolerable value. I’m not sure Bolland will ever be more than an adequate second line centre (not to mention he has a soft head…another big hit and???).

If I’m a leaves fan, I’m not totally thrilled with this off season. Bernier was a good pick up, but I don’t understand the Grabo move. They could’ve bought him out next year as they have the cap space.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Jovocop wrote:
Zedlee wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

I am not sure that contract would be a problem if the rule had not changed and the cap kept going up. It would not be a huge problem this season if the cap did not come down from $70.2m (prorated to $60m) to $64.3m. Just imagine if the cap hit were $75m, Luongo's contract would be a very affordable one.
Has anyone been paying the slightest bit of attention to what top 10 goaltenders are signing for lately? Luongo's cap hit IS VERY AFFORDABLE. It's the length of the term and his age that make it undesirable. As for the recapture clauses in this new CBA, if I understand them correctly, those shouldn't slow down the trade because, if I'm not mistaken, should we trade Lou to say, Montreal, and he retires, the cap hit reverts back to the Canucks.....yes?
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

No. We're on the hook for our "cap benefit" and Montreal (in this hypothetical scenario) is on the hook for theirs.

So if he played four years there earning $6.7m and hitting the cap for $5.3m then retired or was traded again or whatever they'd have $5.6m in penalties (4 x $1.4m) waiting for them.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Well keep in mind Nonis' justification for Bolland over Grabovski. and keep in mind that as you read this Bolland has been in the league for 7 years and is 27 years old.
"If you go back and look at (Bolland's) junior numbers, they're exceptional," Nonis told reporters at the NHL draft, referencing the 299 points Bolland scored during 254 games with the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League. "He played behind some pretty good people (in Chicago) and I think Randy won't pigeon-hole him as a third-line center. I think he'll probably be put in more of a prominent role with us than he was in Chicago."
So basically, it seems as though Nonis has decided to use junior stats from a decade ago to justify the change he made at center and to top it off they will be spotting Bolland extra minutes in sweet situation (oh sorry a "more prominent role") so that Bolland gets to cash in extra big a year from now.

Nonis has $10 mil in cap space and has yet to sign Kadri. Kadri is either going to take a middling deal for one year and cash in big next summer after a big year or take pretty darn big money now on several years. How he signed Bozak before getting Kadri under contract I'll never know. Nonis has 3 NHL D-men signed and that is only if you count Liles and Gardiner as NHL D-men.

They need to move or buy out Grabovski because the leaves are actually in cap hell now and in the future but that isn't the reason he's peddling (nor do I think he would or should). So far I think the summer has been pretty miserable for the leaves. The only silver lining will be if Bernier proves to be a 60 game starter.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

tantalum wrote:Nonis has $10 mil in cap space and has yet to sign Kadri. Kadri is either going to take a middling deal for one year and cash in big next summer after a big year or take pretty darn big money now on several years. How he signed Bozak before getting Kadri under contract I'll never know. Nonis has 3 NHL D-men signed and that is only if you count Liles and Gardiner as NHL D-men.
And they are having problems signing Franson, wonder if he could be had for trade?

If we ever manage a big deal involving Edler it would be nice to replace those points, Franson would be a great fit on the right side playing with JayG with a couple of laser shots on the powerplay, plus Franson is a great all round pp QB.
Not to mention the TML have a plethora of other offensive minded D already, so I bet Tanev and his probable more affordable contract in addition to being more defensive minded, could be enticing to Nonis.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:
tantalum wrote:Nonis has $10 mil in cap space and has yet to sign Kadri. Kadri is either going to take a middling deal for one year and cash in big next summer after a big year or take pretty darn big money now on several years. How he signed Bozak before getting Kadri under contract I'll never know. Nonis has 3 NHL D-men signed and that is only if you count Liles and Gardiner as NHL D-men.
And they are having problems signing Franson, wonder if he could be had for trade?

If we ever manage a big deal involving Edler it would be nice to replace those points, Franson would be a great fit on the right side playing with JayG with a couple of laser shots on the powerplay, plus Franson is a great all round pp QB.
Not to mention the TML have a plethora of other offensive minded D already, so I bet Tanev and his probable more affordable contract in addition to being more defensive minded, could be enticing to Nonis.
Just had a look over at capgeek.....laughed at Toronto when I looked at their roster and cap space for this coming season. Barring a miracle, they are going to be a 2 line, 3 defenseman team, with unproven goaltending. I hope Leaf fans haven't forgotten too quickly what it means to be outside of the playoffs....