Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tciso
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Tciso »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Tciso wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Shaw signs in Montreal. 6 years, $3.9M per. No NTC or NMC.
Did he really do enough to earn that contract?? Pacioretti shold be pissed at either the contract he got, or what they offered Shaw. Similar contracts, not even close as players.
Patches signed that contract four seasons ago. By that rationale Jannik Hansen should be livid about the fact Derek Dorsett is making more money than him. It's called inflation. Although in the case of the Dorsett deal it's just a bad contract.
Blob, the inflation factor has not been that high. We are comparing a 35 point player to a 65 point player. Shaw might be a competitor, and have leadership skills, but, he is being over-paid for it. And, at 24, they could have signed him for 2 more years before he gains UFA status. Worse contract that Dorset, IMO. Over-paid, and got no leverage from his RFA status.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Tciso wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Tciso wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Shaw signs in Montreal. 6 years, $3.9M per. No NTC or NMC.
Did he really do enough to earn that contract?? Pacioretti shold be pissed at either the contract he got, or what they offered Shaw. Similar contracts, not even close as players.
Patches signed that contract four seasons ago. By that rationale Jannik Hansen should be livid about the fact Derek Dorsett is making more money than him. It's called inflation. Although in the case of the Dorsett deal it's just a bad contract.
Blob, the inflation factor has not been that high. We are comparing a 35 point player to a 65 point player. Shaw might be a competitor, and have leadership skills, but, he is being over-paid for it. And, at 24, they could have signed him for 2 more years before he gains UFA status. Worse contract that Dorset, IMO. Over-paid, and got no leverage from his RFA status.
I guess this is the point where people around here would say "buying up UFA years and no NTC/NMC"
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Yeah... seems like the NTC/NMC is the hot contract clause these days. "If you don't give me some control.. it's going to cost you."
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Puck wrote:Yeah... seems like the NTC/NMC is the hot contract clause these days. "If you don't give me some control.. it's going to cost you."
Has been for a long time, player know they are likely to be on a team longer than their GM and want say as to where they go or if they get traded or not.

There is definitely a value to that!

It's why the Sedins only cost us $7M. Why Hamhuis and Edler were/are on cap friendly deals. It's also why Sbisa and Dorsett cost a bit more than some would've liked.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Nonis sues CRA for tax payments. Says he is now a US resident and CRA wants taxes from his Leaf contract to be paid as if he were a Canadian resident. Claims he has no money to pay and would be forced to take a loan. He would also lose on the currency exchange. Poor guy. But I tend to agree with him, if he is a non resident, resident, his taxes should be lower than if he was a resident.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/former-lea ... -1.2965165
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Having done the ex-pat thing....the tax is on where the benefit of the work is received. Not where payment is received.

In a nutshell, the tax jurisdiction is where the work is performed, not where you live or get paid.

The Toronto Maple Leaves are receiving the benefit of not having Nonis in the office and that benefit is received in Toronto, not where Nonis lives.

Why does Whimpy's "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today" come to mind when he says he can't pay up?
Last edited by Topper on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote:Having done the ex-pat thing....the tax is on where the benefit of the work is received. Not where payment is received.

I worked in Jamaica and Belize and was a non resident. the benefit of my work was received in Jamaica and in Belize not in Canada.

In a nutshell, the tax jurisdiction s where the work is performed, not where you live or get paid.

The Toronto Maple Leaves are receiving the benefit of not having Nonis in the office and that benefit is received in Toronto, not where Nonis lives.

Why does Whimpy's "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today" come to mind when he says he can't pay up?
So it was a contract in Canada, for work that was to be in Canada, where the benefit of that work was in Canada?

So if you are an expat doing Canadian deals/contracts is that income taxed at the Canadian resident's rate?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Topper wrote:Having done the ex-pat thing....the tax is on where the benefit of the work is received. Not where payment is received.

I worked in Jamaica and Belize and was a non resident. the benefit of my work was received in Jamaica and in Belize not in Canada.

In a nutshell, the tax jurisdiction s where the work is performed, not where you live or get paid.

So it was a contract in Canada, for work that was to be in Canada, where the benefit of that work was in Canada?

So if you are an expat doing Canadian deals/contracts is that income taxed at the Canadian resident's rate?
Yes, and most countries have recipricol tax agreements to avoid double taxation.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

It's also quite hard to become a non-resident of Canada. Does Nonis still own a home in Canada? Does he have any dependents in Canada? Does he have Canadian bank accounts, drivers license, etc.? Does he own any personal property in Canada? Has he severed all social ties in Canada?

Yes there are reciprocal tax treaties, but as Topper says, if the work was in Canada for a Canadian company, I don't like Nonis' chances.

The bigger question is: he's earning two salaries, so how the heck is his cash flow so tight???
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

In a nutshell, the tax jurisdiction is where the work is performed, not where you live or get paid.

Close but not quite. If you are a non-resident or deemed non-resident you only pay tax on Canadian source income. If you are a Canadian resident you pay tax based on your world-wide income.

If the income is considered "earned" on his termination then there is close to zero chance he will be successful in his objection.

CPA Canada In-Depth Tax Course graduate and Tax Manager at a CPA firm here.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Hockey Widow wrote:Nonis sues CRA for tax payments. Says he is now a US resident and CRA wants taxes from his Leaf contract to be paid as if he were a Canadian resident. Claims he has no money to pay and would be forced to take a loan. He would also lose on the currency exchange.
What an idiot - he's going to lose that one.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Hall traded straight up for Adam Larson, EDM getting carved up real good on social media :)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

This is what happens when you have to trade a star player who likes to build snowmen, and every other GM knows it. Hall was proving to be un-coachable. He was not controllable by the locker room leadership group. He was becoming more of a bad influence on other players. He was not changing. Whether he uses this as a wake up call to get more focused on his health and in playing hockey only time will tell. He is a great great talent that has relied upon his one dimensional play throughout his career. He is not a winner.

Chiarelli went down this road with Seguin and we know what happened there. This trade absolutely has the potential to burn Chirarelli as did the Seguin trade did, if Hall grows up and focuses on hockey. He's still young enough to figure it out.

Chiarelli has been trying to trade him since last Jauary, from what I hear. First, his expectations were over the moon so he could not be moved. Second ownership had a love for Hall and were in denial about the poison in the dressing room. Third, they had to cut cap.

But with getting McJesus last year, who was very vocal in the exit interviews about the problems in the room, and having the other Finn fall to them, it was time. Now with the opportunity to bring in Lucic as the dressing room leader Chiarelli has a new direction. McJesus will be the face of the franchise with, Chiarelli hopes, Lucic riding shotgun.

This could blow up though if Lucic picks Dallas but odds are high he's going to Edmonton.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:This could blow up though if Lucic picks Dallas but odds are high he's going to Edmonton.
#anywherebutedmonton :D

I really hope this blows up in their face. C'mon Dallas!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

zomg hall for larsson?? I gotta check the shenanigans everywhere mwahaha.

wtf and pk for shea? :shock: at my old chinese diner whose now retired said as he gave me my food, too muchy, too muchy. :shock:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.