Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by dbr »

For the Flames, I actually kind of like this move. Desperate times..

He's likely to be $1.5m better than Matt Stajan, they badly need help down the middle, they probably weren't going to turn the 1st or the 3rd into a player of ROR's calibre any time soon.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Comments from Bountiful.
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie OK, here's everything you need to know about the CGY offer sheet on Ryan O'Reilly:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
COL has 7 days to match the offer or accept compensation of CGY's 1st round pick and CGY's 3rd round pick.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie If COL matches the offer, COL cannot trade O'Reilly for one calendar year from day it matches the offer.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie Structure of deal designed to deter COL. That includes getting a $2.5M signing bonus now and a really low salary ($1M) rest of season.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger A very aggressive move by the Flames. However, other GM's suggest Colorado could have fetched more than a 1st and 3rd via trade.

The question about whether Avs match or not depends on how much they stick to their principles on what Salary of RFA without arbitratraion rights should be

Ouch i forgot about the 7 day match. The flames could be out of the playoff hunt by then. They better start winning now!!!!
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

1st and 3rd from Calgary eh.

Would that be for this years draft or next years?

That could be a first overall pick if it's the 2014 draft. Hell could be this year, though Columbus seems eager for that 25% shot at it.

This is tough cause if they match they can't trade him for a year, which is going to be after the trade deadline next season. So he's stuck with Colorado, and Colorado with him, all next season as well.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

It'd be the 2013 draft I think..

I just realized that with the structure of that deal he'll be heading into restricted free agency with a $6.5m qualifying offer required to keep him from going unrestricted.

I think my favourite potential outcome here is Colorado declining to match, then O'Reilly walking from Calgary as a UFA in 2015 because they won't offer him a deal that meets his QO requirements..

Also, some guy from the FAN 960 (Calgary station?) is claiming the Canucks issued an offer sheet to the ROR camp as well.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

dbr wrote: Also, some guy from the FAN 960 (Calgary station?) is claiming the Canucks issued an offer sheet to the ROR camp as well.
The Canucks could not afford a contract like that unless Booth or Ballard was on the way out. Even if the Canucks could squeeze ROR in the year, they would have a problem being cap compliant next season.
Brick Tamland
CC Veteran

Post by Brick Tamland »

Correct me if i'm wrong, but if O'Reilly was here next year, at 6.5m would he not be the highest paid on the team (assuming Loungo is gone).

If you look at it that way the offer is insane, but props to Calgary i suppose. It just seems like it is really short sighted. Why wouldn't they try and offer more term. I can only assume it's becasue this offer hinders Colorado more.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod

Calgary's offer sheet was the only O'Reilly was presented with.
Jason Botchford ‏@botchford

Canucks didn't try to sign O'Reilly, no RT @curtisandrews Cgy radio guys saying VAN did.
Last edited by Jovocop on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Feaster must be betting ROR becomes an uninjured Kelser nest season.

His impact this year will be minimal. If Colorado waits seven days to decide, the season will be 1/2 over, it will take ROR about 10 games to get up to speed (a guess based upon most players performance). That is 2/3rds to 3/4rs of the season done. It will have little impact on either teams final standings.

If I'm Colorado, I let the head case and his daddy go, take the first and third and have two high first round picks and two high third round picks.

Bold move by Feaster that could blow up on him. But what the fuck, by then Jay Bou will have move to the German leagues.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

This is a great move by Calgary. I think the AVs match though.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: If I'm Colorado, I let the head case and his daddy go, take the first and third and have two high first round picks and two high third round picks.
Agreed.

But wait the full 7 days first.

That could end up a very high pick there.

We'd get to cheer for the Lames to sink to the bottom without the worry of them being rewarded with a high pick!

This could be like the Leaves after the Kessel trade all over again. :thumbs:

Except no way is ROR as good as Kessel....
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I just heard on red deer station that vancouver also put in an offer..now these guys make shit up sometimes to deflect, anyone heard anything
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

rats19 wrote:I just heard on red deer station that vancouver also put in an offer..now these guys make shit up sometimes to deflect, anyone heard anything
There are rumours of this floating around....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Strangelove wrote:
rats19 wrote:I just heard on red deer station that vancouver also put in an offer..now these guys make shit up sometimes to deflect, anyone heard anything
There are rumours of this floating around....
Botchford declined that for MG
Jason Botchford ‏@botchford

Canucks didn't try to sign O'Reilly, no RT @curtisandrews Cgy radio guys saying VAN did.
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod

O'Reilly's agents have confirmed to me that Vancouver did not present an offer sheet.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Thanks JC, good to know...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Strangelove wrote:Thanks JC, good to know...
No problem, it just does not make much sense from the Canucks' cap perspective. The Canucks could definitely use a guy like ROR but they just could not afford the contract at all, unless Ballard+ or Booth+ are moved.