Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tciso
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Tciso »

Madcombinepilot wrote:cutting a pretty fine line between the Nordic states, no?? :lol:
I believe Putin is the authority of who is and isn't a Nordic state :)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

BladesofSteel wrote:Finland isn't a member of Scananavia.
You are absolutely correct. Strictly speaking only Norway and Sweden are on the Scandinavian peninsula. But if you talk about Scandinavian languages (or people) Danish and Icelandic also belongs in the group, and by extention they are then referred to as Scandinavian countries.

In this stricter sense, if you want to include Finland, you should talk about the Nordic countries, but that is a less common expression, except when talking about the Nordic Council. Therefor I chose to use the slightly incorrect but more widely used term. Also, until 1809 Finland was part of Sweden and therefor also part of Scandinavia, and in the movement for a united greater Scandinavia back in the 19th century, Finland was always considered a natural part of it. So traditionally it would have been correct. And in everyday speech Scandinavia is still often used this way. Especially outside of Scandinavia.

There's a lot of this going on though. Lots of people do not include Mexico when talking about North America, but if you look on a map - duh!

One of the worst tautologies I've come across is CONCACAF - the Confederation of North American, Central American and Caribbean Association Football. :roll:

The Caribbean is part of Central America, and Central America is part of North America. So why do they even mention Central America and the Caribbean?

It's like if UEFA was the Union of European, Nordic and Scandinavian Football Associations... :lol:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

And Australia is Australia... :devil:
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Per wrote:The Caribbean is part of Central America, and Central America is part of North America. So why do they even mention Central America and the Caribbean?
A US immigration official looked at my Belize Work Permit and said, "Belize C.A.? There is no Belize in California."

Trying not to laugh I said "See. Eh. Central America, think globally."
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

No where else to post this, so...

Imagine what could have been:
According to Craig Patrick, the former Penguins general manager who drafted Jagr 26 years ago, the Czech winger did his best to manipulate the draft so that he could end up in Pittsburgh playing alongside Mario Lemieux. As one of the top prospects in the 1990 class, Patrick said that the Penguins, who had the fifth overall pick, were surprised that Jagr was available when it was their turn to pick.

But, as it turns out, it may have come down to more than just luck.

"I found out years later that when he was interviewed by teams ahead of us, he told them all that he wasn't coming over [to the NHL] right away," Patrick recently told reporters at a Penguins alumni golf outing. "When we asked him that question, he said 'I'll be there tomorrow if you draft me.' I think other teams backed off because of that. We were happy he was there. We were surprised he was there, definitely."

Jagr was reportedly willing to make more of a commitment to the Penguins than the four teams that picked before them -- the Nordiques, Canucks, Red Wings and Flyers -- because he "idolized" Lemieux.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

micky107 wrote:And Australia is Australia... :devil:
Except, when it comes to football (aka soccer) they are considered part of Asia. :|

They are also part of the European Broadcasting Union and have even started participating in the Eurovision Song Contest... :look:

The same goes for Israel and Turkey. EBU, that is, but they are considered European in football as well.
In Israel's case mainly because if they belonged to Asia they'd have to play qualification games for the World Cup against Syria, Iran, Lebanon, Palestine, etc, and, well.... It's better this way. :drink:

Turkey actually has a few percent of its surface in Europe, but Asia would seem more logical, since that's where most of it is.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Cornuck wrote:No where else to post this, so...

Yeah... dare I say a Cup with the WCE? Or did enough dominoes fall *because* the Canucks drafted Nedved that that line might not have happened? Jagr would have changed the Pavel dynamic, too.
Tiger
CC Rookie

Post by Tiger »

Puck wrote:
Cornuck wrote:No where else to post this, so...

Yeah... dare I say a Cup with the WCE? Or did enough dominoes fall *because* the Canucks drafted Nedved that that line might not have happened? Jagr would have changed the Pavel dynamic, too.
Would have changed everything.. Imagine a line of Larionov, Bure, Jagr
followed by the Linden line in 1992 :)
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Be cool to sign Seidenberg if we dealt Sbisa, as Seidenberg played effectively with Chara and now he can play with Tryamkin, thus he can reflect on any similarities ie towering presence, long stick for checking, gritty play and a mega blaster of a shot.

Seid's been injured quite a bit last season, and the knee injury in 2014 limiting his effectiveness, but he probably has at least a couple years left in the tank in a depth role, at a cheap rate.

He and Larson could be the #6/#7 guys on the depth chart.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
sagebrush
CC Veteran

Post by sagebrush »

Nichushkin still hasnt re-signed with Dallas, so is a RFA.

Recent history suggests offer sheeting is not a good idea. However, the Dallas organization must be thinking more about trades as a result of his RFA status. They may be willing to give up a promising young talent for a veteran who improves play off potential. :mex:
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

sagebrush wrote:Nichushkin still hasnt re-signed with Dallas, so is a RFA.

Recent history suggests offer sheeting is not a good idea. However, the Dallas organization must be thinking more about trades as a result of his RFA status. They may be willing to give up a promising young talent for a veteran who improves play off potential. :mex:
Hansen? We don't have too many " veteran who improves play off potential".
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Tciso wrote:
sagebrush wrote:Nichushkin still hasnt re-signed with Dallas, so is a RFA.

Hansen? We don't have too many " veteran who improves play off potential".
Maybe a really, really good brainwashing job on Sbisa.. :devil:
"evolution"
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Tciso wrote::mrgreen:
Strangelove wrote:JVR is a big weenie.

Gardiner is a smaller one.

Leafers say they're great... but notice Leafers are always throwing them into trade deals.

JVR is coming back from his second major injury to his left foot.

Gardiner had a fluke season fancy-stat-wise IMO.

I hate them both with a passion (especially Gardiner).

But carry on... :D

When in doubt, just don't trade with Toronto. Nothing good goes in, or comes out of Toronto
Nothing except more superstar NHL players than any city produces on planet earth.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

BigTuna wrote:
Strangelove wrote:JVR is a big weenie.

Gardiner is a smaller one.

Leafers say they're great... but notice Leafers are always throwing them into trade deals.

JVR is coming back from his second major injury to his left foot.

Gardiner had a fluke season fancy-stat-wise IMO.

I hate them both with a passion (especially Gardiner).

But carry on... :D

When in doubt, just don't trade with Toronto. Nothing good goes in, or comes out of Toronto
Nothing except more superstar NHL players than any city produces on planet earth.

Yawn, fart, repeat
The only HW the Canucks need
sk8er
CC Rookie

Post by sk8er »

Hockey Widow wrote:
BigTuna wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

Yawn, fart, repeat
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: