Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by dbr »

Nikitin is a guy I looked at earlier in the year and thought that on paper, maybe this is a player you can get a bargain on in free agency. Big guy, fairly young for a free agent, reputedly has some offensive ability, doesn't have the kind of production that would lead you to think he's going to cost you a lot :lol: , etc. Maybe he's a destitute man's Alex Edler for a fraction of the price.

But the fancy stats are not kind to this player. I didn't watch a lot of BJs hockey this year but they were a decent possession team and it looks like Nikitin was basically getting soft minutes and still coming out worse than average on possession metrics in score close situations.

I guess for the Oilers you have to pay whatever it takes to get a guy in free agency, but wow. Nik Nik is going to have to make some pretty big strides to live up to this paycheque - at least when compared to the contracts on the books now. If MacT is reading the market correctly and this is just the going rate for any every day (but not particularly good) NHL defender, yikes.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Well, at least his name is kind of cool.

That's about the only thing this signing has going for the Oilers. I almost feel bad for their fans....nahhhhhh! :lol:
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

I hate Bolland. I don't know I will cheer for the Canucks anymore....
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
The Bolland camp won't do anything with Vancouver until they resolve the Ryan Kesler situation.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Suddenly, Garrison at $4.6M doesn't seem like a bad deal at all. Looks like a steal by comparison.

Nikitin (28 years old)
66GP 2G 13A 15 PTS 20PIM 17:06 TOI

Garrison (29 years old)
81GP 7G 26A 33PTS 57PIM 20:53 TOI
Campbell (35 years old)
82GP 7G 30A 37PTS 20PIM 26:57 TOI

He is paid $7.1 million, and he has two seasons left.

There are far worst deals out there. People who complain about Garrison's contract haven't looked at many comparables.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Gaborik re-ups in LA... .7 years @$4.9M per.

What a steal, especially when you consider Clarkson got 7@$5.25. That contract might look a bit shotty when Gaborik is 37/38, but if the cap keeps rising it's no big deal. This is a better deal than Hossa's in Chicago, and if Gaborik can stay remotely healthy (big if) the Kings are laughing.

Burrows @ $4.5 or Gaborik at $4.9, I know who I'd take.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Gabby signs in LA.
7 years, $4.9 million per.

Callahan signs in Tampa
6 years, $5.8 million per.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Probably the "going rate" for Callahan, but I don't like it in term or dollars.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Gaborik re-ups in LA... .7 years @$4.9M per.

What a steal, especially when you consider Clarkson got 7@$5.25. That contract might look a bit shotty when Gaborik is 37/38, but if the cap keeps rising it's no big deal. This is a better deal than Hossa's in Chicago, and if Gaborik can stay remotely healthy (big if) the Kings are laughing.

Burrows @ $4.5 or Gaborik at $4.9, I know who I'd take.
That is indeed a big if. :mrgreen:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mike Johnston to coach the Pens.
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Probably the "going rate" for Callahan, but I don't like it in term or dollars.
Speaking of the going rate.. with the cap increase already falling slightly this year, if revenue stagnates and the Canadian dollar gets weaker it'd probably be better for the long term interests of this franchise to mostly stay out of UFA and keep their space for future offseasons where inflation is much less of a factor.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

dbr wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Probably the "going rate" for Callahan, but I don't like it in term or dollars.
Speaking of the going rate.. with the cap increase already falling slightly this year, if revenue stagnates and the Canadian dollar gets weaker it'd probably be better for the long term interests of this franchise to mostly stay out of UFA and keep their space for future offseasons where inflation is much less of a factor.
Not going to happen. The cap is going to continue to rise and quite quickly.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Don't forget that half of the league's revenues come from the seven Canadian teams. If the CAD takes too much of a hit, so will league-wide revenues.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Mondi wrote:LA finally has a bad contract on the books!

7 years for Gabby is not best, not at 33.

But, he did earn it.
Contract is front loaded so he can walk away from the last few years. No penalty to LA either if he does
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Mondi wrote:Is it only if you sign after 35 that all those penalties kick in? Or is it just if you are over 35 and you retire?

So many stupid rules to deal with the cap.
I think it is if you're 35 or over when the new contract comes into effect, the remainder counts even if you retire. So if Gaborik retires before the end of deal, the Kings will be off the hook because he will be 32 when the contract comes into effect. :mex:
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

black ace wrote:
dbr wrote:
Not going to happen. The cap is going to continue to rise and quite quickly.
The cap is going to continue to rise but will we see it jump roughly 10% like it is going to this season? I don't think so. Even with the players 5% increase option I have a hard time seeing average annual increases like this one over any sustained period.

If the increases slow down significantly, teams spending like that's not going to happen are going to be hurting. Teams that have more cap space will get better value for those cap dollars, and even with an average or mediocre UFA class a team with more space will be better able to get good value due to smaller amounts of inflation.

Don't get me wrong, there is no way the Canucks sit out of UFA in a year where they desperately need to improve and have a passable product to sell to the fans. I just think that if they're not going to contend next year, if the players in UFA are worse (as a whole) than ever and prices are higher than ever, there's no sense making long term commitments.

But yeah if the cap's going to jump 10% every year then give Vanek and Stastny $70m 7 year deals and be done with it. By the back half of those contracts they'll look great under a $95m (then $103m, then $114m, then $125m) cap ceiling!