Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Topper »

Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

An interesting article about stumpy.

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/17263968.php
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

You think Larionov would be a little bit smarter (as his agent). This makes both of them look bad.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

While I think it's on the retarded side of smart to be whining and making noise in the media about ice-time when you are in your 2nd season and playing like shit, I have to ask, how much of this is the result of the ongoing shit show that is the Edmonton Oilers?

Eakins debut has been horrible.

None of their young gun talent is progressing at the rate that people expected.

They have no defense.

They have nobody to mentor the kids on the ice and bring them along as peers and players.

Goaltending has been a joke.....for years.

Management is a revolving door of the who's who in the old boys club.....who are apparently content to rest on their past accomplishments as players 20-plus years ago.

Nobody has taken the helm of this team with any sort of vision or intelligent hockey sense for over a decade.

I have to wonder just how long it will be before Yakupov is traded.....and following him I wonder when Hall or Eberle or RNH will end up in the same predicament if they hit a slump.

The Oilers are a straw hut built by people who forgot that having a balanced foundation is important to the longevity of any project. When you look at the top 10 from Yakupov's draft year (2012), 8 of the 10 are defensemen. Considering the young talent that Edmonton already had, Gagner, Hall, Eberle, and Nugent-Hopkins, why they didn't pick one of the top defenseman prospects is a mystery, and failing that, why didn't they trade down to 8-10 and try and get a decent veteran forward to mentor the kids, or a solid top 4 defenseman?

This situation was inevitable. It doesn't excuse Yakupov, and really I think all he has said is he wants more ice-time and he is committed to helping this team win.

His agent, Larionov, is one of the best to have ever laced up skates, and he knows hockey inside and out, so he is probably trying to do what is best for his client, and that is get him the hell out of the Oilers organization as soon as possible so that he can develop properly and enjoy a full and profitable career.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote:
15. I spent some time on the Panthers website. The way their hockey operations department is listed is a little, um, odd. Panthers owner Vinnie Viola made it very clear when he bought the team that it would be a family-style operation, which is no problem. But is son Travis the No. 1 hockey person in the organization? Maybe some time in the future. But this seems a little soon.
Link

you-know-wots and their "family-style operations" :crazy:
:crazy:

Luongo + Sestito for Thomas + Bjugstad!

:mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Strangelove wrote:
dbr wrote:
15. I spent some time on the Panthers website. The way their hockey operations department is listed is a little, um, odd. Panthers owner Vinnie Viola made it very clear when he bought the team that it would be a family-style operation, which is no problem. But is son Travis the No. 1 hockey person in the organization? Maybe some time in the future. But this seems a little soon.
Link

you-know-wots and their "family-style operations" :crazy:
:crazy:

Luongo + Sestito for Thomas + Bjugstad!

:mrgreen:
I think I just puked a little in my mouth.

Besides, you know the you-know-wots at the top here won't be keen on lowering the you-know-wot quotient on the team. There'd have to be a you-know-wot of significance coming back.

Luongo + Sestito + Corrado for Halak (honorary) + Pietrangelo + Vanelli

Dunno how that would fit under the cap off the top of my hat but that, sir, is a true swap of you-know-wots.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If Edmonton had ponied up Yakupov and their first they could have had CS. An over payment for sure but a trade with Vancouver for CS was going to cost them.

He'll Luongo may have even agreed to go their if they had offered up. Can't feel sorry for teams like Edmonton, Florida and the Flyers who were unwilling to give up even shit assets for the likes of Luongo.
The only HW the Canucks need
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:If Edmonton had ponied up Yakupov and their first they could have had CS. An over payment for sure but a trade with Vancouver for CS was going to cost them.

He'll Luongo may have even agreed to go their if they had offered up. Can't feel sorry for teams like Edmonton, Florida and the Flyers who were unwilling to give up even shit assets for the likes of Luongo.
Somewhere at the Rog, a baggy-eyed GM is smiling - just a little.

Just goes to show what good goaltending (or lack thereof) can do for or to a team. Also goes to show how Lamoriello may still be one of the cagiest GMs in the league.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So apparently Darcy Regier and Ron Rolston have been fired in Buffalo and Pat LaFontaine is the new director of hockey operations and Ted Nolan is back in Buffalo as head coach.

Interesting times.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

That's what they get for beating LA.

I can understand this, Regier gave nothing to Rolston to work with. Partly due to being hamstrung by previous ownership but his moves of late have also been puzzling. Rolston's benching M in MEH was flat out bizarre.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Sabres owner Terry Pegula explained why Regier was not solely to blame for Buffalo's most recent shortcomings.

"He didn't do what he did by himself," Pegula said. "There was input from many people, prior owners, myself. Why now? I just decided and that's the only answer I can give you. We work together and sometimes you get to the point where a change was needed."

At least he's honest about sticking his fingers into the decisions. The idea of bringing Nolan back is fucking crazy and the fans are responding in kind. :lol:
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:So apparently Darcy Regier and Ron Rolston have been fired in Buffalo and Pat LaFontaine is the new director of hockey operations and Ted Nolan is back in Buffalo as head coach.

Interesting times.
I wonder if ownership wasn't just waiting for the replacements to sign up before canning Regier and Rolston. Otherwise the timing appears somewhat questionable.

Hate the League.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

via-Josh Rimer

I've been told the reason for bringing back Ted Nolan is to win back the fans. That and he's also good buddies with Lafontaine.
At least on twitter a lot of Buffalo fans are excited for his return. :thumbs:

Some jokes about which wife Nolan will sleep with first ha.

Glad he's back! :mex:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

SKYO wrote:
via-Josh Rimer

I've been told the reason for bringing back Ted Nolan is to win back the fans. That and he's also good buddies with Lafontaine.
At least on twitter a lot of Buffalo fans are excited for his return. :thumbs:

Some jokes about which wife Nolan will sleep with first ha.

Glad he's back! :mex:
Oh boy, CoHo is gonna love 'The Chief'... :lol:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

BurningBeard wrote:The idea of bringing Nolan back is fucking crazy and the fans are responding in kind. :lol:
Nolan has to be under contract if Garth Snow is going to trade a 1st round pick for him. Crazy is as Crazy does.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!