Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Uncle dans leg
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Uncle dans leg » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:12 am

Aaronp18 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:36 pm
Cornuck wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:08 pm
Strangelove wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:32 pm
Apparently he likes to hobnob with sportscasters...
Let's not go there.... again... right Aaron?
No comment.

:mrgreen:
:lol:

Hes stepping back from hockey to review the past 5 years of internet chat boards
nobody forks...with the jesus

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue May 01, 2018 12:15 am

Ron Francis gone in Carolina.
The only HW the Canucks need

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer » Tue May 01, 2018 4:08 am

Hockey Widow wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:15 am
He's been a dead man walking in that organization for a while now. At least it's official and he can look elsewhere for work if he wants to stay in the biz.

Kinda sucks how it ended for him considering his history with that franchise, but the new owner doesn't strike me as an overly sentimental type and wants his stamp on his new toy.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Tue May 01, 2018 7:06 pm

Lancer wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 4:08 am
Hockey Widow wrote:
He's been a dead man walking in that organization for a while now. At least it's official and he can look elsewhere for work if he wants to stay in the biz.

Kinda sucks how it ended for him considering his history with that franchise, but the new owner doesn't strike me as an overly sentimental type and wants his stamp on his new toy.
The Eddie Lack trade do him in?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Sat May 12, 2018 2:25 pm

"Ian Clark is leaving the Blue Jackets after seven seasons, said it was his decision to leave Blue Jackets; GM Jarmo Kekalaine called it a “mutual decision."

He helped Bobrovsky rise to prominence and notably is Luongo's main man his consigliere. One wonders if the Canucks sign him after they lost Roland Melanson due to family concerns back east.

Clark can work with the young goalies, while Cloutier can stick with Marky.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Sat May 12, 2018 3:09 pm

I would see how the College man felt. ;)
"evolution"

Richardstroker69
CC Veteran

Post by Richardstroker69 » Sun May 13, 2018 4:15 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 7:06 pm
Lancer wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 4:08 am
Hockey Widow wrote:

The Eddie Lack trade do him in?
Biffed on 2 goalies, meanwhile Canucks are sitting on 2 of the best prospect goalies in the nhl.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Mon May 14, 2018 4:34 pm

There is something kinda funny about Rob Blake trying to re-sign Doughty to about the same amount of money the Kings were trying to re-sign Blake back in 2001. Drew should demand about $10M per, the same as Kopitar.
The Los Angeles Kings are eligible to sign Drew Doughty to an extension July first and GM Rob Blake has already started the process. Blake:

“This won’t surprise anyone, but I sat down with him 1-on-1 after the season and outlined our plan for the next four to five years. We want him here, and he knows how much.”
Unwilling to sign Rob Blake for the $9.6 million he requested and unwilling to let him walk away as an unrestricted free agent, the Kings traded their Norris Trophy-winning defenseman and rookie center Steven Reinprecht to the league-leading Colorado Avalanche late Wednesday for right wing Adam Deadmarsh, defenseman Aaron Miller, a first-round draft pick in the June entry draft.
http://articles.latimes.com/2001/feb/22/sports/sp-28682
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Mon May 14, 2018 4:38 pm

Doughty will get more than 10
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Tue May 15, 2018 10:00 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 4:38 pm
True, I'm guessing he'll demand around $11M per, maybe then LA will scoff at that & trade him, having over an 1/8th of a teams cap on one player is pretty hard to manage.

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Sun May 20, 2018 6:35 pm

Hossa announces retirement.

https://www.tsn.ca/report-chicago-forwa ... -1.1089947

I believe the Luongo Rule will hit the Blackhawks to the tune of $4.25M in recapture for the next 3 years.

However.....

https://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/madhou ... 30061.html

If this is true, and the NHL permits it, it's either total bullshit bush league favoritism, or we are all dancing in the streets because we can find an out by trading a low pick for Luongo when he's done and then have him do the same.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Sun May 20, 2018 11:28 pm

Meds wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 6:35 pm
Hossa announces retirement.

https://www.tsn.ca/report-chicago-forwa ... -1.1089947

I believe the Luongo Rule will hit the Blackhawks to the tune of $4.25M in recapture for the next 3 years.

However.....

https://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/madhou ... 30061.html

If this is true, and the NHL permits it, it's either total bullshit bush league favoritism, or we are all dancing in the streets because we can find an out by trading a low pick for Luongo when he's done and then have him do the same.
I suppose the difference will be stated as Hossa has an "injury" that prevents him from playing so it's not circumventing the spirit of the rule. Whereas if a non injured player just retires, then it's different. So Luongo would need to develop an allergy to something : :mrgreen:

It still amazes me that the NHL doesn't find it cap circumvention being able to trade injured players, with career ending type injuries.

Technically, if he doesn't sign his retirement papers he ain't retired. But man I'd want a second medical opinion.
The only HW the Canucks need

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Mon May 21, 2018 4:14 pm

Luongo has a well earned reputation for groin strains, just ask his wife.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Mon May 21, 2018 4:59 pm

Lamouriello heading for the Islanders, apparently already in contact with Tavares.

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Mon May 21, 2018 8:16 pm

SKYO wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:00 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 4:38 pm
True, I'm guessing he'll demand around $11M per, maybe then LA will scoff at that & trade him, having over an 1/8th of a teams cap on one player is pretty hard to manage.
I suspect we are going to see a change in the way teams do business with star players, if not now then you can bet that there will be some difficult negotiations during the next CBA.

Look at the last 4 teams standing this year only Ovechkin and Stamkos command more than more than 10% of the projected salary cap.

All of the teams have very good goaltending on affordable contracts.

Every team has at least two defensemen who would both be top pairing on 90% of the league's teams.....and none of them are making more than $7.8M.

Doughty will probably get his money, but I won't be surprised to see that the 2018 and 2019 star UFA's are among the last to get the mind numbingly stupid contracts that we've seen handed out in the past.

Doughty also strikes me as the type of guy that will ask for $11M from LA, they'll say no, and so he will sign somewhere else for $10M just to stick it to his former club because they wouldn't pay him what he figures he's worth.