Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Diehard1 »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:With Booth & Kes out for a couple months, I'm a lil concerned if we're relying on a second line of MayRay-Ebbett/Shroeder-Kassian. Not sure if Gillis has something up his sleeve trade wise (Lou) or free agent/waiver, but I think he really needs to get something to boost this line. I'd stay away from a guy like Gomez, but wouldn't mind someone like Jason Arnott. Not sure how much he has left in the tank or how much he wants, but he should be able to help for a couple months till Kes gets healthy at least.
It all depends on what the cost is - Gomez on a 1 year deal for little money would make a lot of sense as it's almost zero risk. Arnott I'd be fine with too though he's really lost a step. I don't think that the 2nd line of Raymond/Schroeder (Ebbett)/Kassian will be something that happens long term, if it happens at all.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Diehard1 wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:With Booth & Kes out for a couple months, I'm a lil concerned if we're relying on a second line of MayRay-Ebbett/Shroeder-Kassian. Not sure if Gillis has something up his sleeve trade wise (Lou) or free agent/waiver, but I think he really needs to get something to boost this line. I'd stay away from a guy like Gomez, but wouldn't mind someone like Jason Arnott. Not sure how much he has left in the tank or how much he wants, but he should be able to help for a couple months till Kes gets healthy at least.
It all depends on what the cost is - Gomez on a 1 year deal for little money would make a lot of sense as it's almost zero risk. Arnott I'd be fine with too though he's really lost a step. I don't think that the 2nd line of Raymond/Schroeder (Ebbett)/Kassian will be something that happens long term, if it happens at all.
Gomez...uh, no. He's a pip squeak who has spent his entire career in the East. He'd be eaten alive playing in the Western Conference.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Travis freaking Zajac.. eight years, $46m.

$5.75m cap hit.

I guess we're not going to be seeing much deflation under the new CBA after all.. that or Lou Lamoriello is truly in desperation mode.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

For 8 years you'd think NJ would get a better cap hit, but they were desperate not to lose anyone else after losing Parise.

Be interesting to see if he can keep up that production after losing ZP though.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Zedlee wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:
Gomez...uh, no. He's a pip squeak who has spent his entire career in the East. He'd be eaten alive playing in the Western Conference.
Of course he would - just like Brad Richards and Saku Koivu (pipsqueaks) sucked once they moved to the west from the east right? Cammalleri was awful in Calgary right? He's a pipsqueak too.

There's not much difference between the two conferences now - again Gomez would be a low risk signing so you can't really go wrong. If he's too expensive you don't sign him, if he's cheap then sure, why not? Can't be worse than Ebbett as a 2nd line center.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Diehard1 wrote:Of course he would - just like Brad Richards and Saku Koivu (pipsqueaks) sucked once they moved to the west from the east right? Cammalleri was awful in Calgary right? He's a pipsqueak too.

There's not much difference between the two conferences now - again Gomez would be a low risk signing so you can't really go wrong. If he's too expensive you don't sign him, if he's cheap then sure, why not? Can't be worse than Ebbett as a 2nd line center.
Brad Richards is an elite player though, and Mike Cammalleri (who came up in the West) is pretty good as well.

Koivu is pretty well done, depth is a huge problem in Anaheim and he obviously has not been part of the solution to that problem since signing there.

As for differences between the conferences, last year 1 of the top 10 scorers (Hank) was on a Western team and 11 of the top 30. The top four offensive teams were in the East and eight of the bottom ten offensive clubs were western. It would be interesting to see the stats on offense produced in intraconference games but I can't be bothered.. this season will be an interesting experiment in that regard.

That being said Scott Gomez might well still be a better option than Andrew Ebbett or Jordan Schroeder.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Laughs making room for Luo.....http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413721
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Looks like Alex Kovalev will return to #NHL this season. Florida Panthers reportedly close to signing him to 1-year contract.
When Kovalev's mind is in the game, he can take over the offense all by himself.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Santorelli waived today. 20-20 guys two years ago. Tough year with injuries last year. 27. $1.6 mil pending UFA. I suspect he'll get claimed by someone...should Gillis have interest?

Connolly also on waivers....there should be NO interest in him from Gillis.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

tantalum wrote:Santorelli waived today. 20-20 guys two years ago. Tough year with injuries last year. 27. $1.6 mil pending UFA. I suspect he'll get claimed by someone...should Gillis have interest?

Connolly also on waivers....there should be NO interest in him from Gillis.
Agreed, MG should give Santorelli a try. Although he has been a minus (-40 in 174 games) player in the NHL, his 41 points in 2010/11 shows some offensive potential.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Santorelli you say?

*vomits*
____
Try to focus on someday.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Who-arelli?

Never heard of him.

At this point I'd much rather give Schroeder and/or Ebbett a kick at the can before getting desperate and picking up waiver wire trash. Who knows, maybe one of them will shock us and be competent! Stranger things have happened!

At some point in the next year or two it's put up or shut up time for Schroeder. He'll be 23 in December and has already played two and a half years in the AHL. It would be really nice if he could make a good run at sticking in the NHL this year. Too bad Booth got injured, because I think a line of Booth/Schroeder/Burrows would have had a shot at working. If nothing else, it wouldn't have been throwing the kid to the Wolves like a Raymond/Schroeder/Kassian line likely will be.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Ebbett might hold the 2nd-line fort till Kess gets back (rather try him than whats-his-relli).

Schroeder, I don't think you can throw him in there in a shortened season.
____
Try to focus on someday.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I agree that Ebbett will play more than Schroeder, barring injury. I bet Ebbett plays Saturday and Shroeder plays Sunday, btw.

Just saying it would be great if Schroeder played and played well. The kid may not get another chance like this to fill in at center for an extended period on this team.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yeah, not sure if it's a good idea to throw young Schroeds out there as 2nd-line centre at this point.

But I could see him getting some games as 2nd-line RW when Booth and Kess come back.
____
Try to focus on someday.