Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by SKYO »

Well at least on the last year of Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, Eberle's $6M per contracts, McDavid will probably start his $12M/$13M per year contract in 2018.

...& only MacTavish could fuck this glorious situation up. ha
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:I thought Edmonton was going to be really good . What happened ?
Give it a couple years when the Sedins have retired and Connor is 21
years old around there. I'm not worried though, we have Zack Kassian once the Twins are done
Cool .... Will Sbisa be anchoring the defence ?

Linden Vey on the top line with Dorsett ? Maybe fill it in with Clarke MacArthur .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:Well at least on the last year of Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, Eberle's $6M per contracts, McDavid will probably start his $12M/$13M per year contract in 2018.

If all those draft picks turn out to be franchise type players they won't be able to afford them all. But when you have a chance to draft MacJesus you suddenly can trade a Hall or RNH, or Eberle or the German dude or Yak or two of those, for more picks or defence or a goalie. How about Eddie Lack for the German dude? They can seriously afford to make some great deals. If I were the Oilers I'd be looking to move Hall and Yak or Hall and the German dude. How about Hall for Dianna??

Point is they really will need to shed in a few years, not the next 2-3 years but there after and they are in a good position to make moves. The real question will be if MacT will have the balls to do it. He could have had CS for his first and Yak and he has been quoted as saying he regrets not making that move. With MacJesus coming he can really really afford to do that.

I'm not advocating they throw these young kids away. I'm saying they have a safety net, a large one, that will allow them to make some smart moves.
The only HW the Canucks need
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

RoyalDude wrote:
I'm really happy for Edmonton. They've won 4 Stanley Cups, or is it 5? We have None, and we've been in the league longer and we've never tanked. If there is a team that deserves McDavid its Vancouver
We'll just have to wait a few years until the rebuild blows up again and they start trading them away.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:
SKYO wrote:Well at least on the last year of Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, Eberle's $6M per contracts, McDavid will probably start his $12M/$13M per year contract in 2018.

If all those draft picks turn out to be franchise type players they won't be able to afford them all. But when you have a chance to draft MacJesus you suddenly can trade a Hall or RNH, or Eberle or the German dude or Yak or two of those, for more picks or defence or a goalie. How about Eddie Lack for the German dude? They can seriously afford to make some great deals. If I were the Oilers I'd be looking to move Hall and Yak or Hall and the German dude. How about Hall for Dianna??

Point is they really will need to shed in a few years, not the next 2-3 years but there after and they are in a good position to make moves. The real question will be if MacT will have the balls to do it. He could have had CS for his first and Yak and he has been quoted as saying he regrets not making that move. With MacJesus coming he can really really afford to do that.

I'm not advocating they throw these young kids away. I'm saying they have a safety net, a large one, that will allow them to make some smart moves.
Smart & Lowe are not two words you can say in a sentence. If they don't get rid of him that franchise is doomed for failure. Why ownership doesn't recognize that we shall never know...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

rats19 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Throw in Nurse, McDavid, Draisaitl and Pittsburghs 1st overall, I wonder if the Oilers 4th rebuild in a row is over yet
Is it possible they can screw this up?
With McTavish and Lowe at the helm, yes, it is possible.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I guess Edmonton's not the worst destination.

Could you imagine if LA, San Jose or even Dallas or Colorado had won the lottery?

If Edmonton plays their cards right, they should be in a very desirable spot, but they've bungled this whole rebuild so badly, who knows. They still have a ton of work to do to become even an average team. Edmonton could easily be a shittier version of Pittsburgh, with lots of horsepower up top and issues throughout their lineup.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

herb wrote: If Edmonton plays their cards right, they should be in a very desirable spot, but they've bungled this whole rebuild so badly, who knows. They still have a ton of work to do to become even an average team. Edmonton could easily be a shittier version of Pittsburgh, with lots of horsepower up top and issues throughout their lineup.
Edmonton will never be a desirable spot for any professional athlete. The city is a dump, and it's -25 for a good chunk of the hockey season. It's probably the 2nd least desirable location, next to Winnipeg (the Palomino ain't no Roxy).

The Oilers should have a For Sale sign on all their players. You could pretty much get anyone in the league with the trade bait you have. Hall for Weber? They need some massive move like that, get themselves a true #1 Dman and a goalie.

It's REALLY going to suck playing them 5 times a year when the Sedins retire and we're drafting top-3 for 4-5 years. McDavid will pump the piss out of us for the next 15 years. Gonna be fun to watch him, though.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

You are the Toronto Maple leaves - you want to make changes and you want to make a splash. Getting the first overall pick at the draft does both of these things.

What package do you think Toronto offers Edmonton to get that pick? It's starts with their 4th overall, plus?

There's no way Edmonton trades the pick, but I do think it's an interesting question, and I do think Toronto and Edmonton could be good trading partners. You have to think Toronto will put together an offer (and Dion Phaneuf is from Edmonton, of course). :roll:
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It's hard to imagine a trade that will never ever happen. McDavid is going to Edmonton, enough said
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BurningBeard wrote:You are the Toronto Maple leaves - you want to make changes and you want to make a splash. Getting the first overall pick at the draft does both of these things.

What package do you think Toronto offers Edmonton to get that pick? It's starts with their 4th overall, plus?

There's no way Edmonton trades the pick, but I do think it's an interesting question, and I do think Toronto and Edmonton could be good trading partners. You have to think Toronto will put together an offer (and Dion Phaneuf is from Edmonton, of course). :roll:
Phaneuf + Bernier + JVR + 4th overall. That MIGHT get it done if the leaves retained at least $1.5M of Phaneuf's salary and took a cap dump player coming back the other way.

Edmonton is in a very enviable spot right now.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:It's hard to imagine a trade that will never ever happen. McDavid is going to Edmonton, enough said
Hypothetically speaking, can a player opt to withdraw from the draft saying he feels he would be best served by playing his final year in junior and simply make himself eligible as a 19 year old the following year?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:It's hard to imagine a trade that will never ever happen. McDavid is going to Edmonton, enough said
Hypothetically speaking, can a player opt to withdraw from the draft saying he feels he would be best served by playing his final year in junior and simply make himself eligible as a 19 year old the following year?
No, once he has entered the draft he is in. Look, MacJesus was upset but he will get over it. He will be a gawd in Edmonton. No way Edmonton trades the pick, it won't happen for all the tea in China. The Oilers can trade other saviours and get some decent return. But as for MacJesus, he will be fine and he will say all the right things moving forward.

I think Eichel on Buffalo is perfect for them, although he has not decided if he will play his final year at BC. Buffalo will still draft him but he may not be available for another year, which given the state of the franchise I think would be a smart move for him. It will also save then one year on his ELC. They won't be contending any time soon so delay his pro debut a year.

Edmonton is in a different position, they won't contend any time soon but time is running out for that current management group. I really would seriously trade one of Hall, RNH, Eberle for a good return. They could trade one of those guys to a current contender with cap issues and get a first, roster player and a prospect.

But back to MacJesus, he will be an oiler.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:You are the Toronto Maple leaves - you want to make changes and you want to make a splash. Getting the first overall pick at the draft does both of these things.

Phaneuf + Bernier + JVR + 4th overall. That MIGHT get it done if the leaves retained at least $1.5M of Phaneuf's salary and took a cap dump player coming back the other way.

Edmonton is in a very enviable spot right now.

The 1% chance McDavid gets traded gotta think of an astronomical price, like Sam Reinhart, Bogo, 2nd overall, I think gets it done...otherwise there is no reason to trade the next Gretzky/Crosby yada yada.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Look, MacJesus was upset but he will get over it. He will be a gawd in Edmonton. No way Edmonton trades the pick, it won't happen for all the tea in China. The Oilers can trade other saviours and get some decent return.
____
Try to focus on someday.