Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Betamax »

Strangelove wrote:
Betamax wrote: Uhhhhhhhhhhhh, I think PK Subban would be in the mix for the top 10 list of best players in the NHL. He's a franchise type player both on the ice and off the ice.

To be honest, right now, if I was building a team, I'd even take him over Sidney Crosby, who is the best player in hockey when healthy. Why?

Because of Crosby's injury history and he's one bad play from calling it a career.

Now where he rates in terms of d-man, I think given age and ability and upside, only Doughty might be the player I'd take over him but I like Subban's personality better so ... I might just take him over Drew. LOL.
Hmmm... so what do Mcguire, Subban, Schneider, Myers, Shinkaruk, and Hodgson all have in common?

ANSWER:

Exactly, Dudelove!!!!!

PK Subban is an electrifying player both on and off the ice!!!!!

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Oh shit, he played the card! Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Betamax wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Betamax wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Betamax wrote:Maybe you can add some, uhhhhhh, thought to your post .... then the weak responses you have been providing here lately. But I guess that's asking too much out of you, right? Image
See what a UDL said above. I'd agree w/ that except for Chara who's on the downswing. Why don't you address his comment instead of your half-baked personal attack? You'll have to do better (declaring Subban as your #1 choice in the entire league + backing up that ludicrous tweet) to warrant a thoughtful response.
Clam, what exactly was so ludicrous about the tweet by Larry King?

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh, It was kinda, black humor. Image
Obviously you don't see it since you are in full agreement.
Obviously you don't know what you're writing about ............ You are asked a direct question and in your typical manner, you deflect and deflect fearing whatever you're going write is going to be deconstructed ........ Image
I did answer your question, would it be helpful if I painted you a picture?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Clearly PK wants to help his bro Jordan in a couple years, so he'll demand a trade to the West Side...cuz ya know it's the best side. 8-)
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:Clearly PK wants to help his bro Jordan in a couple years, so he'll demand a trade to the West Side...cuz ya know it's the best side. 8-)

Trade? Just come on over as a FA.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:
SKYO wrote:Clearly PK wants to help his bro Jordan in a couple years, so he'll demand a trade to the West Side...cuz ya know it's the best side. 8-)

Trade? Just come on over as a FA.
No doubt, however to get him sooner and so the Habs don't lose him for nothing, better to trade for him, plus we could clear some salary in the process. #winning (oh yes hashtag! ha)
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Betamax wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Betamax wrote:I wonder if tweets can, uhh, be used to argue PK's case:

via: https://twitter.com/kingsthings/statuse ... 4284547073
Larry King Verified account ‏@kingsthings

.@PKSubban1 @canadiensmtl is not only the best black player in #hockey, he might be the best player. What an incredible talent!

8:04 AM - 31 Jul 2014
:mex:
Not when they are, uhh, delusional. :mex:
Uhhhhhhhhhhhh, I think PK Subban would be in the mix for the top 10 list of best players in the NHL. He's a franchise type player both on the ice and off the ice.

To be honest, right now, if I was building a team, I'd even take him over Sidney Crosby, who is the best player in hockey when healthy. Why?

Because of Crosby's injury history and he's one bad play from calling it a career.

Now where he rates in terms of d-man, I think given age and ability and upside, only Doughty might be the player I'd take over him but I like Subban's personality better so ... I might just take him over Drew. LOL. Image
He's not even the best defenseman bro...

I'd take Shea Weber, Doughty, Keith, Chara, Karlsson and probably Petrangelo over him.

He is in there with Letang though. Top 10 d-man but not in the league...no way
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, let's see ........

Like I previously said, from the list .... Doughty is the only player I might take over him.

Shae Weber -- right now he may be a more "complete" player right now BUT he is 3 years older, plays a more conventional game and his hefty contract his cap recapture implications. Furthermore, his conventional game makes him a less "electrifying" player to watch, a big shot, physical but not a dynamic playmaker and his skating is decent but I'd worry when he reaches his 30s and he loses a step what will happen to his ability to defend against speedy forwards.

Duncan Keith -- well, he's a productive player, no doubt but he's not the type of player that sells tickets on his own and he's the guy that f'cked up Daniel Sedin. So I'm not too happy about that. Furthermore he is not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, but about 6 years older!!! Also, given the why he has treated female members of the media, he does have a prickly attitude which isn't that good when as a franchise, you want your best players to represent your franchise with honour and respect within the community.

Zdeno Chara -- all I can say, if he was about a dozen years younger, I might consider taking him over PK. But he's not. He's a fossil.

Erik Karlsson -- a dynamic d-man, similar age, but doesn't have all the attributes of PK to be a compete 5 tool player, he's also smaller and he has come off a serious injury a couple of years ago that may have cost him 1/4 step ... which for him who relies on speed is something to monitor.

Alexander Pietrangelo -- Similar age and good all round d-man who's one of the best in the league right now, but he lacks the on-ice and off-ice charisma of PK.

Therefore, PK Subban > than everyone you listed (with the possible exception of DD) ...........

Furthermore, "The Kiss" was the icing on the cake that makes it pretty much impossible for him to be surpassed. It was, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, real and spectacular!!!!!!

Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

I think PK is arguably one the best in the league as well... regardless of ranking he deserves a top contract IMO.

I put him in the top 5 D in the league as well as the top 15 or so overall. Just my personal ranking...I don't want to go down the rabbit hole on this one.

The fact of the matter for the Habs is that they absolutely need him. After Price, he is their MVP. He is as valuable to the Canadiens as Weber is to Nashville and Karlsson is to Ottawa. He should be paid as such.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mr.Miyagi wrote:I think PK is arguably one the best in the league as well... regardless of ranking he deserves a top contract IMO.

I put him in the top 5 D in the league as well as the top 15 or so overall. Just my personal ranking...I don't want to go down the rabbit hole on this one.

The fact of the matter for the Habs is that they absolutely need him. After Price, he is their MVP. He is as valuable to the Canadiens as Weber is to Nashville and Karlsson is to Ottawa. He should be paid as such.

Well put. I do not understand Montreal's thinking on this. PK is absolutly prepared to wait this out and get to FA status if he doesn't get paid what he feels he is worth, both term and cap.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Betamax wrote:
In order to have a chance at the 1st overall pick, you have to miss the Playoffs.

So, with next year's quality of a franchise changing top pick, it's not the end of the world to miss it for a chance.

The "new rule" you are referencing isn't what I was referring to. I was referring to the "smoothing" out of the percentage the team could in theory "win" the lottery. i.e. the best team not to make the Playoffs (the team with the 14th worst record) should have a better than 0.5% chance of winning it, moving forward.
Which is fucked up.
The Stanley Cup winners should have first pick, then a straight lottery for the other teams.
Tanking should never be rewarded! :evil:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Word is deal done. 8 years at 9 million per. Looking for confirmation.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=458569

After months of negotiations and speculation and a salary arbitration hearing, P.K. Subban is going to be a long-term Montreal Canadien.

The restricted free agent defenceman agreed to terms on a eight-year, $72 million contract with the team on Saturday, avoiding a salary arbitration ruling. Subban's average annual value is $9 million.
Strangelove wrote:
Mëds wrote:PK Subban and the Habs not even in the same ballpark.

Subban is asking $8.5M. Canadiens are offering $5.25M and a one-year deal.
Those are just the numbers given to the arbitrator (on a one-year contract).

Just part of the negotiation process.

Everyone knows Subban will get 8 X $8m to $9m.
It's a CURSE I tells ya! Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Hockey Widow wrote:Word is deal done. 8 years at 9 million per. Looking for confirmation.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

by Betamax » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:17 am:
Betamax wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Mëds wrote:PK Subban and the Habs not even in the same ballpark.

Subban is asking $8.5M. Canadiens are offering $5.25M and a one-year deal.
Those are just the numbers given to the arbitrator (on a one-year contract).

Just part of the negotiation process.

Everyone knows Subban will get 8 X $8m to $9m.
Yeah ... if I was going to make a prediction it will be in the higher end of the range, give 6 of those years will be during his UFA status. I'm going to predict 8 years for 72M (9M AAV).

i think It will be in that range +/- 4M in total (68M-76M) for 8 years. :mex:
As Dudelove stated, everyone in the know ........... knew what the final outcome would be. 8-)

I'm not writing .... I'm just writing. Image
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I still take all of my listed d-men in a winner takes all game today ahead of PK.

Never mind all the bullshit....
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Guess we'll have to draft a #1 dman even though 95% of you are against drafting dmen in 1st round. :mrgreen: