Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by mathonwy »

Hurray!

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/ ... c5fbcb8512

Hejduk has punished the Canucks since coming into the league in 1998, tallying 32 goals -- nine of them game-winners -- in 54 career games. That works out to 48.4 goals over an 82-game season.
-APRIL 1, 2008
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Diehard1 wrote:[
I love fans like you - not a word for the past 5 years as the leaves suck, then as soon as they are a few points ahead you come on here and yap. Where have you been?

The leaves are not a good team. They get outshot and outchances most games unless they are playing a shitty team like the Canucks. The leaves will be lucky to win a playoff round in possibly the weakest eastern conference I have ever seen.
Bottom line they are making the playoffs.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

vic wrote:
BigTuna wrote:Burke's 1 a cup and he built the contender in Vancouver. And he set-up Toronto nicely.
Because Vancouver's 2011 run had nothing to do with Gillis's acquisitions of:

Hamuis
Ehrhoff
Torres
Malhotra
Higgins
Tanev
Sammuellson (sp?)
Lappiere
Rome

Dave Nonis acquiring Sopel, Carney and Weinrich too add to the core were way better moves.

BB gets credit for the WCE days while people forget that Quinn added Naslund and Keenan brought in Bertuzzi.

The biggest pieces were acquire by Burke.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

BigTuna wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:[
I love fans like you - not a word for the past 5 years as the leaves suck, then as soon as they are a few points ahead you come on here and yap. Where have you been?

The leaves are not a good team. They get outshot and outchances most games unless they are playing a shitty team like the Canucks. The leaves will be lucky to win a playoff round in possibly the weakest eastern conference I have ever seen.
Bottom line they are making the playoffs.
Congrats, what's that, twice in 12 seasons? You'd think after a run like that you'd be somewhat humbled but I guess not. Even an all time collapse last year doesn't do it. Enjoy your playoffs.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

BigTuna wrote:The biggest pieces were acquire by Burke.
Whose biggest acquisitions came from assets Mike Keenan had acquired, who was just building with the blocks Pat Quinn had brought in. All hail Jack Gordon!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dbr wrote:
Whose biggest acquisitions came from assets Mike Keenan had acquired, who was just building with the blocks Pat Quinn had brought in. All hail Jack Gordon!
Burke, the same guy who went into Anaheim, signed Selanne, traded for Pronger, Niedermeyer, Beauchemin etc, and then wins the Stanley Cup.

The Sedin draft, Kesler draft, Bieksa draft, Salo trade etc., set up this organization for years to come, without those pieces we are shite, Gillis is shite

What the fuck has Gillis added to the core in his 6 years here that really matters? Hamhius?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Fuck what a circle jerk...

Well this previous GM did this and this previous GM did that....

How about this previous GM? And that previous GM?

:lol:

Nobody ... and I mean nobody in any industry that has had a lot of success did it by themselves. It's too fucking hard.

Let's just all agree that Burkie put his stamp (good or bad) on both the Nucks and Laughs and he's one of those few GM's that isn't afraid to make those bold moves (and is typically very good at it).

Gillis's time is right now to either shit or get fired (get off the pot).

And Tuna, thanks for making life interesting on this board. :lol:
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:
dbr wrote:
Burke, the same guy who went into Anaheim, signed Selanne, traded for Pronger, Niedermeyer, Beauchemin etc, and then wins the Stanley Cup.
Let me see if I've got this right.

Burke signed Selanne, to a hometown discount, what credit does he get for that? Selanne would have signed anyways.
Chris Pronger's wife wanted out of Edmonton so Burke brought them to Anaheim, good trade but he's lucky it fell in his lap and that he had assets (like Lupul) that the Oilers wanted.
Scott Niedermayer, everyone knew where he was going to sign. Burke is supposed to get credit for getting hired by a franchise that already had been playing Rob Niedermayer for two seasons?
He brought in Beauchemin, big deal, I should hope you'd be able to get a player that good in return for a marquee forward like Sergei Fedorov.

Nevermind all the guys he inherited like Getzlaf, Perry, Pahlsson, Giguere, Bryzgalov, et al.

Big deal.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

dbr wrote:Scott Niedermayer, everyone knew where he was going to sign.
Sad thing is, by all accounts Niedermayer preferred to sign w/ Vancouver but Nonis opted to resign Naslund instead. Even though all signs were pointing to a Naslund in decline (sound familiar?). After Nazzy signed Niedermayer said they made their decision and opted for the Ducks instead.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

By all accounts? I certainly remember a lot of comments like that but I don't recall anything credible.. maybe I'm just forgetting, that's a long time ago now.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I remember him saying the deciding factor was playing with his brother. BB allegedly knew this when he signed Rob two years, or whatever it was, earlier. BB was touted as a genius for signing Rob with the master plan to lure Scott when he became UFA. Have no idea if it's true but it helps make a legend.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:I remember him saying the deciding factor was playing with his brother. BB allegedly knew this when he signed Rob two years, or whatever it was, earlier. BB was touted as a genius for signing Rob with the master plan to lure Scott when he became UFA. Have no idea if it's true but it helps make a legend.
Many of us at Old Central were saying our Canucks should go after Rob as a way of eventually luring Scott.

For a long time.

(Scott had stated a few times that he wanted to play with Rob one day).

So yeah no, Burkie is no genius.

Last edited by Strangelove on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BigTuna wrote: Bottom line (the Leaves) are making the playoffs.
Don't count your chickens Tunafish.
____
Try to focus on someday.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Hockey Widow wrote:I remember him saying the deciding factor was playing with his brother. BB allegedly knew this when he signed Rob two years, or whatever it was, earlier. BB was touted as a genius for signing Rob with the master plan to lure Scott when he became UFA. Have no idea if it's true but it helps make a legend.
One hell of a legend, Burkie was running the Canucks when the Ducks signed the lesser Niedermayer.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote:
Many of us at Old Central were saying our Canucks should go after Rob as a way of eventually luring Scott.

For a long time.

(Scott had stated a few times that he wanted to play with Rob one day).

So yeah no, Burkie is no genius.

There were just as many geniuses commenting that Rob was a bum.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.