Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Jovocop »

Strangelove wrote:I dunno. I was watching the game live and said to the wife: "That little prick Cooke is at it again!"

My immediate gut reaction was he did it on purpose.

Maybe cuz it's Cooke.

Maybe cuz I had just got home from day surgery at ARH and was very stoned indeed.

Maybe cuz I have Karlsson in the Corner hockey pool and need someone to blame for this. :P

I know most of the experts are concluding it was accidental.

Along with most of the posters at HF.

But I'm gonna hafta go with my gut on this one.

There's something about the way he skated away without even glancing back as Karlsson screamed in agony.

Nope I'm going to remain in the minority on this one.

I'm think he was kicking/stomping at Karlsson's ankle on purpose.

Not saying he was trying to slice his tendon!

I dunno, at the very least the league should have some kind of suspension for careless use of a skate blade no?

(yeah I know they don't, but they SHOULD)

Poor Karlsson, hard not to think about all that Bieksa went through coming back from that...
I feel sorry for the kid. Honestly, I cannot tell whether Cooke had the intention or not.

Personally, I found that Fiddler might have the intention to step on Bieksa back in 2007. However, since Bieksa was not a Norris Trophy winner and Fiddler did not have Cooke's reputation, the media (except the local ones) did not pay much attention. Seriously, would the media care as much if it was a fourth line grinder that was injured?
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

You know what Doc, I'm almost wanna get on that bus with ya.
Mostly cause its Cooke and leopards do not change spots so easily and also cause I don't know how the pundits are so sure...just when it looks innocent is exactly when it isn't -_-
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

I doubt that Cooke intentionally cut or stepped on the back of Karlsson's leg.

However, keep you damn skates on the ice. I know they collided and Cooke was knocked a bit askew but you can't be going into the boards with another player with a skate off the ice like that.

It likely happens fairly often and it's always just a matter of time before accidents happen.

So McMurphy I see you finally pushed nurse Ratched too far and got that frontal lobotomy!

:-|

At least they were nice enough to dope you up.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Aaronp18 wrote: you can't be going into the boards with another player with a skate off the ice like that.

It likely happens fairly often and it's always just a matter of time before accidents happen.
If... it... happens fairly often, then why doesn't this kind of injury happen fairly often?

("fairly often" being a relative term)

Truth is there is only one person who knows for certain if there was malicious intent involved.

And he skated away without so much as a glance back as his victim SCREAMED IN AGONY. Image

Personally, I'd like to see Cooke hooked up to a polygraph machine.

But until such time, I choose to believe the other player involved in the play. :hmmm:

As an aside, how would you feel about the NHL adding a Negligence Clause to it's list of suspension-worthy plays?
Aaronp18 wrote: So McMurphy I see you finally pushed nurse Ratched too far and got that frontal lobotomy!
Well I'm still kicking, but someone is smothering me with a pillow even as we speak....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Strangelove wrote: If... it... happens fairly often, then why doesn't this kind of injury happen fairly often?

("fairly" being a relative term)
All I meant is that collisions where guys skates come off the ice happen fairly often.

And instead of cutting a guys Achilles more often than not the skate hits something else like the other guys skate, the back of the shin pads or it doesn't quite cut through the sock. The skate blade cutting the Achilles really has to get into a fairly tight space to do the damage.

Besides it doesn't matter, it was Karlsson's fault for not wearing Kevlar socks!

:mrgreen:
Strangelove wrote: Well I'm still kicking, but someone is smothering me with a pillow even as we speak....
SKYO get off Doc!!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote:Well I'm still kicking, but someone is smothering me with a pillow even as we speak....
I hope you've taken your skates off.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Aaronp18 wrote: Besides it doesn't matter, it was Karlsson's fault for not wearing Kevlar socks!

:mrgreen:
Nice Mathonwy impression! :lol:

Strangelove wrote: SKYO get off Doc!!
.... can't.... breathe.... what's that.... A FINGER?? :shock:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Do we have the pieces to pull off a trade for Ryan O'Reilly? I like this player.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:Do we have the pieces to pull off a trade for Ryan O'Reilly? I like this player.

Maybe Booth, Ballard, Manny and Luongo?
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Well I'm still kicking, but someone is smothering me with a pillow even as we speak....
I hope you've taken your skates off.
I was wearing my skates and underwear pre-surgery but now... :shock:

Ryan O'Reilly is not GMMG's kinda man....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote: As an aside, how would you feel about the NHL adding a Negligence Clause to it's list of suspension-worthy plays?
.... afterall there is a 'careless use of stick' penalty no?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Strangelove wrote:
Strangelove wrote: As an aside, how would you feel about the NHL adding a Negligence Clause to it's list of suspension-worthy plays?
.... afterall there is a 'careless use of stick' penalty no?
I wouldn't mind something along these lines. Like I said, players do need to be responsible for themselves and their equipment.

However, why do I get the feeling that as soon as some rule like this is instituted somehow the Canucks will get burned!

:crazy:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Aaronp18 wrote:

However, keep you damn skates on the ice.

Couldn't agree more. Shit happens but Cooke is a fucking douche. Hated this player in Vancouver.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Sorry guys, it's too hard for me to believe it was an accident with the EVIL Matt Cooke involved.

It's very possible for an EVIL person to purposely bring that blade down on the back of Karlsson's leg.

His knee was up Karlsson's crack just beforehand = he knew exactly where Karlsson's legs were.

Twas my gut reaction watching the play live, and replays only convince me further.

Did I mention he skated away without so much as a glance back as Karlsson screamed in agony??

EVIL

Anyhoo, tis a matter of opinion, stated mine, moving on....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Too bad he never ran for Premier.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.