Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote:
ESQ wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote:Top NHL Goaltender Cap Hits - Luongo now 12th...

1. Rinne (30) $7M
2. Rask (26) $7M
3. Lundqvist (31) $6.875M
4. Price (26) $6.5M
5. Ward (29) $6.3M
6. Miller (33) $6.25M
7. Crawford (28) $6M
8. Lehtonen (29) $5.9M
9. Quick (27) $5.8M
10. Smith (31) $5.67M
11. Bobrovsky (24) $5.625M
12. Luongo (34) $5.33M
My favourite part of that list is that the Nonis contract from 2006 and its $6.75 million cap hit would still be #4 after 8 years of cap inflation :lol:

Enjoy Nonis while you can, leaves fans! David Clarkson and Tyler Bozak are already big fans!

Of the 11 more expensive goalies, who would you take in place of Luongo? I think Quick is the only one for me.
Quick, Lundqvist, and maybe Rinne.
Bahahah aha!!!!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote:
Mëds wrote:
ESQ wrote: My favourite part of that list is that the Nonis contract from 2006 and its $6.75 million cap hit would still be #4 after 8 years of cap inflation :lol:

Enjoy Nonis while you can, leaves fans! David Clarkson and Tyler Bozak are already big fans!

Of the 11 more expensive goalies, who would you take in place of Luongo? I think Quick is the only one for me.
Quick, Lundqvist, and maybe Rinne.
Bahahah aha!!!!
Quick is arguably the best playoff goaltender in the NHL right now. He's only slightly more expensive than Luongo.

Lundqvist's recent seasons speak for themselves. He was lights out and the only reason the Rags have done anything other than get swept in the first round in the last 2 seasons.

Rinne, as I said is a maybe. I'd be interested to see how he performed behind a team that could actually score and control the puck.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Quick was arguably the best playoff goaltender the year his team won Stanley
Last year not so much, and besides that title best playoff tender is as fluid as the pee in your toilet.

the other two guys, whatever...they have done nothing more than luongo and for more money.

I think it's time ( not saying this you ) Canuck fans got behind luongo George bush style

If you ain't with us your against us and here, have a drone on us :)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

The point is not "who'd you rather"... it's that Luongo can play above the level of his deal. It's not an expensive cap-hit. He's more than capable of being a top-10 goalie in the NHL. Rather than being an albatross, his deal is a benefit to the Canucks. I don't give a fuck if it becomes a bad deal in 3/5/8 years. It's a good deal now. Period. And frankly, by the time it starts to be a bad deal our window is likely A) closing, B) the cap is much higher, or C) we have less expensive contracts on the books (Sedins/Bieksa/Booth etc). Likely all of the above.

The guy thrives when he plays a lot. In 2010-2011 (his last season as undisputed starter) Luongo won the most games in the NHL, tied with Carey Price with 12 fewer games played. He was 3rd amongst starting goalies (Schneider was .001 ahead of him) in save %. He was second in GAA. The last two seasons (well 1.5 given the lockout) he was strung around and mentally fucked with by this goaltending tandem charade.

Let's see how this guy does when all he's got to do is play goal and not answer questions about how him and CS are getting along. Goalies are an odd bunch at the best of times, let alone when they are harassed constantly.

My guess is we get a top-10 goalie for top-15 price.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Island Nucklehead wrote:The point is not "who'd you rather"... it's that Luongo can play above the level of his deal. It's not an expensive cap-hit. He's more than capable of being a top-10 goalie in the NHL. Rather than being an albatross, his deal is a benefit to the Canucks. I don't give a fuck if it becomes a bad deal in 3/5/8 years. It's a good deal now. Period. And frankly, by the time it starts to be a bad deal our window is likely A) closing, B) the cap is much higher, or C) we have less expensive contracts on the books (Sedins/Bieksa/Booth etc). Likely all of the above.

The guy thrives when he plays a lot. In 2010-2011 (his last season as undisputed starter) Luongo won the most games in the NHL, tied with Carey Price with 12 fewer games played. He was 3rd amongst starting goalies (Schneider was .001 ahead of him) in save %. He was second in GAA. The last two seasons (well 1.5 given the lockout) he was strung around and mentally fucked with by this goaltending tandem charade.

Let's see how this guy does when all he's got to do is play goal and not answer questions about how him and CS are getting along. Goalies are an odd bunch at the best of times, let alone when they are harassed constantly.

+
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

I concur.
I'm pretty sure the majority here are not concerned with Luongo's regular season, or in fact, people probably don't give a shit about it as it's pretty much a given that the team will go into the playoffs at worst even with Luongo's average performance. This shows where Luongo stands comparing to other goalies; Luongo's one of the top 5% (or maybe 10% now), he's not just an average NHL starter.
Although I was also one of those who continuously showed strong disapproval of Luongo in recent years, but still have to give credit where is due - Luongo was, has been, and is still a top goalie in the league.

At this point in Luongo's career, and in his career with the Canucks, there's only one thing for him and the team to prove - winning a damn cup. He's a well accomplished hockey player in pretty much all competitions except for the damn cup.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote:If I'm CoHo I try to cash in now too. The reality is he's one bad linemate away from making 2-3 mill a year max.

The guy has hands and sees the ice pretty well but always being the trailer and benefiting from 1st unit powerplay time doesn't necessarily warrant that kind of dough.

He likely shoots for the moon this time around even if it means a hold out scenario. Cash in while you can...I would too if I were him
Thing is, the Sabres don't give a crap if CoHo holds out.

They are expecting a crap season and looking forward to a lottery pick.

Although one could argue Hodgson would HELP them in that regard. :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, the Sabres have no reason to cave to CoHo & Co.

Now, Kadri and the Leaves on the other hand.... :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote:The point is not "who'd you rather"... it's that Luongo can play above the level of his deal. It's not an expensive cap-hit. He's more than capable of being a top-10 goalie in the NHL. Rather than being an albatross, his deal is a benefit to the Canucks. I don't give a fuck if it becomes a bad deal in 3/5/8 years. It's a good deal now. Period. And frankly, by the time it starts to be a bad deal our window is likely A) closing, B) the cap is much higher, or C) we have less expensive contracts on the books (Sedins/Bieksa/Booth etc). Likely all of the above.

Given Luongo's history, it's not inconceivable he wins the Vezina before he's done.

Not that I'd bet on it. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Anyone remember what happened the last time an NHL number one goalie lost the starting job only to get it back the following year?

Tim Thomas, 2011 Vezina, Conn Smythe, and Stanley Cup.

Let's hope history repeats itself this season.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Mason Raymond offered a professional tryout with the Toronto Maple leaves.....who "suddenly realized" they might have some room on their roster.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=431466

Maybe Nonis is finally realizing that it's Franson or Kadri, and he's recognizing how weak the leaves will be on the blueline without Franson.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote:Mason Raymond offered a professional tryout with the Toronto Maple leaves.....who "suddenly realized" they might have some room on their roster.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=431466

Maybe Nonis is finally realizing that it's Franson or Kadri, and he's recognizing how weak the leaves will be on the blueline without Franson.
Just a PTO.

An experienced body at camp and he may impress enough to earn a contract. His rush, curl, fall down move will fit in. A true falling leaf :mrgreen:

Will be interesting to see if he gets a contract. I think he still is a NHL player but one of the victims of the new CBA.

Wonder if Manny will get a PTO anywhere.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Mason Raymond offered a professional tryout with the Toronto Maple leaves.....who "suddenly realized" they might have some room on their roster.
I love it when players I've always hated end up with the Leaves! :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote:
Mëds wrote: Mason Raymond offered a professional tryout with the Toronto Maple leaves.....who "suddenly realized" they might have some room on their roster.
I love it when players I've always hated end up with the Leaves! :mrgreen:
And here TV tries to tell me that every one loves Raymond.... :|
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

News out of Philly is that Cleary is going to attend their camp and once they clear space they will sign him to a 3 year deal worth $2.75 mil per season AND a NTC. Holmgren is either crazy or smarter than all of us. Way too much money for Cleary at this stage of his career and last time I checked he doesn't play on the blueline.

Tim Thomas expected to make a decision soon. Frontrunners seem to be Florida and Calgary. I would assume if he picks Calgary he will waive away his rights for universal healthcare given such things offend him so much.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wonder if Manny will get a PTO anywhere.
If healthy players have a hard time getting contracts, I doubt Manny has a chance at all. :( He should probably take a coaching job with the Canucks instead.
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
Former #Canucks forward Manny Maholtra's agent Paul Krepelka says his client has no training camp to attend as of yet.