Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Hockey Widow »

He might be making it easier for Stevie to trade him. The high price Stevie wants is going down.

If I'm Benning I wait until I have Stamkos under contract then ask him what he thinks :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:He might be making it easier for Stevie to trade him. The high price Stevie wants is going down.

If I'm Benning I wait until I have Stamkos under contract then ask him what he thinks :mrgreen:
Really!?!??! What have you heard!??!?! :mrgreen:

:P
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:He might be making it easier for Stevie to trade him. The high price Stevie wants is going down.

Really!?!??! What have you heard!??!?! :mrgreen:

:P
OMG :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Jimmy Vessey spurns the Preds and advises them he is testing FA August 15th. Poile very upset as he said the Preds have been told all along Vessey would sign there and the Preds confirmed this prior to TDD. They told him if he was singing they would keep a roster spot in the top six available for him, if not they would make moves at the TDD to try and fill that role. Preds do t know why the change but now rumours of tampering are surfacing.

To that end, Dreger was speaking on the allegations when out of the blue he disclosed his dislike for the Canucks stems from tampering allegations the team made surrounding the twins/Burke/flying to Sweden. Dreger's name was included in the tampering charges to the NHL and he was called by the NHL to discuss.

Claimed he put a stop to the nonsense by threatening to go public and the NHL backed down. Such a self righteous prick.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:Jimmy Vessey spurns the Preds and advises them he is testing FA August 15th. Poile very upset as he said the Preds have been told all along Vessey would sign there and the Preds confirmed this prior to TDD. They told him if he was singing they would keep a roster spot in the top six available for him, if not they would make moves at the TDD to try and fill that role. Preds do t know why the change but now rumours of tampering are surfacing.

To that end, Dreger was speaking on the allegations when out of the blue he disclosed his dislike for the Canucks stems from tampering allegations the team made surrounding the twins/Burke/flying to Sweden. Dreger's name was included in the tampering charges to the NHL and he was called by the NHL to discuss.

Claimed he put a stop to the nonsense by threatening to go public and the NHL backed down. Such a self righteous prick.
Laughs.... :lol:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jimm ... hes-using/
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Doesn't Jimmy's Daddy work for the Leaves?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote:Doesn't Jimmy's Daddy work for the Leaves?
Yes and they drafted his brother.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Kind of crazy for Vesey. Preds promised him top six, he would have gotten a $95k signing bonus, roughly $50k in remaining salary and burned one year off his 2 year ELC. Preds had him penciled in. Will be interesting to see if Preds file a tampering complaint.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It seems to be getting scarier drafting college kids than Russkies. I hope we don't see this with Boeser and Demko. I feel bad for Nashville. If Demko goes back to college next season, he could do the same thing Vesey did in the spring of 2017. Why wouldn't he? He can just sit back, field offers and pick whoever he desires. If he signs with us, he knows he's spending the year in Utica. Why not graduate, avoid Utica and become a UFA???? It's only 1 year of dough he loses.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:It seems to be getting scarier drafting college kids than Russkies. I hope we don't see this with Boeser and Demko. I feel bad for Nashville. If Demko goes back to college next season, he could do the same thing Vesey did in the spring of 2017. Why wouldn't he? He can just sit back, field offers and pick whoever he desires. If he signs with us, he knows he's spending the year in Utica. Why not graduate, avoid Utica and become a UFA???? It's only 1 year of dough he loses.

Hopefully the PA and league can come to some agreement next CBA to close this loop hole. Not fair to Preds at all. And since he wasn't a first round pick they don't get compensation.

Demko will sign with us. He seems happy to be a Canuck and yes he knows he will spend one year in Utica but he also knows he has a great opportunity here to be our number one down the road. He also talked about developing his pro game slowly in order to be ready when he's ready.

Boeser is another issue. If he is really hot to trot to turn pro and we don't offer to sign him because we want him to develop more we could piss him off enough to go that route. I think that's why Benning, who obviously prefers he spend one more year in college, also says he will talk to Boeser when his season is done yo see where his head is at. If he is determined to turn pro Benning will sign him.

Vesey though seems to be burning bridges.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Is Vesey.. what.. the sixth guy in the last decade or so to do this?

Is the best NHLer (of the guys whose original teams weren't compensated) Justin Schultz or am I missing someone?

It's a kick in the teeth, but so is having a junior player choose to re-enter the draft after 2 years.

That said, I'm sure the PA will be happy to throw the league a bone in future negotiations that doesn't affect their current membership in any way.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

dbr wrote:Is Vesey.. what.. the sixth guy in the last decade or so to do this?

Is the best NHLer (of the guys whose original teams weren't compensated) Justin Schultz or am I missing someone?
Blake Wheeler is probably the highest profile player to do this... the Canucks signed Billy Sweatt (Chicago 2nd rounder in 2007) this way, but he didn't pan out.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The PA has shown its willingness to throw entry level players under the bus during negotiations. I don't think they care about the players until they become NHL players. If the NCAA wants to they could change the rules for hockey players and make them consistent with other sports. That is, players cannot enter the draft until they declare their intentions to do so and once they do they lose their eligibility. That would solve the problem right there.

The NHL could do something to along those lines, saying as long as a player is eligible for NCAA play he cannot enter the draft.

GMs of course could protect themselves by simply refusing to draft these guys.

I don't blame the college kids. After getting your degree you have an opportunity to pick your spot. I'm sure most players would love that, total free agency for players 19 years and older!
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

It's a kick in the teeth, but so is having a junior player choose to re-enter the draft after 2 years.

That said, I'm sure the PA will be happy to throw the league a bone in future negotiations that doesn't affect their current membership in any way.
They need to ammend the CBA so that college players rights belong to the drafting team until a year after college. Or ammend it so that they can be signed in a way that doesn't destroy their college eligibility. either way, right now it is FUBAR.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Tciso wrote:

They need to ammend the CBA so that college players rights belong to the drafting team until a year after college. Or ammend it so that they can be signed in a way that doesn't destroy their college eligibility. either way, right now it is FUBAR.

So make them ineligible for the draft until they leave college.