Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Couldn't agree more. Shit happens but Cooke is a fucking douche. Hated this player in Vancouver.
TRUTH, I remember how you were always calling Cooke out back in his Canuck days Blob. :thumbs:

But the most damage he ever did to your Vancouver Canucks was the one time he tried on the white hat!

Yup he just HAD to be the one to duke it out with Moore on Revenge Day...

Moore brushing Cooke away like a mosquito gave him an excuse to say:

"Hey, I already fought one of your guys, I don't have to fight again!"

See, Cookie donning a white hat opened a portal from Bizzarro World for Evil Bert to step through.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:Too bad he never ran for Premier.
Yeah, some guys loved his evil ways when he wore the whale.

Said guys weren't exactly members of the CFP (Coalition for Peace). 8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote:
Ryan O'Reilly is not GMMG's kinda man....
Oh I agree Bill Graham, he prefers his Bernier's and Booth's.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Ryan O'Reilly is not GMMG's kinda man....
Oh I agree Bill Graham, he prefers his Bernier's and Booth's.

I see you didn't include Kassian RD
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:Sorry guys, it's too hard for me to believe it was an accident with the EVIL Matt Cooke involved.

It's very possible for an EVIL person to purposely bring that blade down on the back of Karlsson's leg.

His knee was up Karlsson's crack just beforehand = he knew exactly where Karlsson's legs were.

Twas my gut reaction watching the play live, and replays only convince me further.

Did I mention he skated away without so much as a glance back as Karlsson screamed in agony??

EVIL

Anyhoo, tis a matter of opinion, stated mine, moving on....
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:Sorry guys, it's too hard for me to believe it was an accident with the EVIL Matt Cooke involved.

It's very possible for an EVIL person to purposely bring that blade down on the back of Karlsson's leg.

His knee was up Karlsson's crack just beforehand = he knew exactly where Karlsson's legs were.

Twas my gut reaction watching the play live, and replays only convince me further.

Did I mention he skated away without so much as a glance back as Karlsson screamed in agony??

EVIL

It's very possible for an EVIL person to purposely bring that blade down on the back of Karlss

EVIL

I call bull-shit. Theres no way Cooke did that intentionally. We're talking split-second action taking a guy out on the boards. Its too bad a guy like Karlson or anybody for that matter gets injured, but maybe this incident will make the wearing of protective gear mandatory.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

okcanuck wrote:

EVIL

It's very possible for an EVIL person to purposely bring that blade down on the back of Karlss

EVIL

I call bull-shit. Theres no way Cooke did that intentionally. We're talking split-second action taking a guy out on the boards. Its too bad a guy like Karlson or anybody for that matter gets injured, but maybe this incident will make the wearing of protective gear mandatory.
You seem pretty certain but I think Doc has a point even if its a freak accident it should happen more often, how many times in a game do two bodies collide along the boards, how many games a night across the NHL? In how many seasons and we got Matt fuck You Cooke and a Norris trophy winner in an incident and your calling bullshit on the idea than it might not be an accident?
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote:
Topper wrote:Too bad he never ran for Premier.
Yeah, some guys loved his evil ways when he wore the whale.

Said guys weren't exactly members of the CFP (Coalition for Peace). 8-)
I was one who was a Cooke fan, for his balls-to-the-wall style where he'd do anything for a point. To be fair he only had the one 2 game suspension in 9 years with the Canucks, compared to 4 suspensions (plus the one gift on Savard) totaling over 25 games in 4 seasons with the Penguins.

Crow (to a lesser extent) and Vigneault definitely wanted Cooke to dial down his dirty shit, but once he got to Pittsburgh (perhaps due to more sympathetic refs for the NHL's darlings) he was unleashed and went mental.

I won't deny that he always liked to jump up into his hits along the board to get those glass-shattering body checks in though...I just really liked the sound :P
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Just scanning the net and saw Crawford may have a concussion and is out day to day with an upper body injury. Hope he is OK but if he has a concussion what does this mean to Chicago?
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:Just scanning the net and saw Crawford may have a concussion and is out day to day with an upper body injury. Hope he is OK but if he has a concussion what does this mean to Chicago?
Not alot really, IMO. Crawford was off to a hot start, but much of his success is like Niemi's.....due more to the team in front of him than the other way around. Chicago hasn't had a really good Goaltender since Belfour left town. Even Khabibulin's tenure with the Blackhawks was pretty mediocre.

Chicago has never been a goaltending town, with few exceptions.

Belfour, Esposito, Hasek, Hall.....maybe throw Rollins in there.

So I really don't think having to run with a backup in Emery and an AHL call-up makes a difference to them.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

It's early but I have to say I'm surprised at the low scoring numbers we are seeing from the Oilers kids.

I was expecting them to tear it up given they all played pro hockey during the lock out, but their trends are all way off from last year.

And what the hell happened to MPS. He looked incredible at the prospect tournament a few years back, then promptly put up 34 points as a rookie.

Since then the kid only has 9 points in his last 50 games.

I wonder if there is a way to pry him out of there. He still had the tool's, perhaps in the right organization he could get his shit together.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Holy Barkov!
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Potatoe1 wrote:It's early but I have to say I'm surprised at the low scoring numbers we are seeing from the Oilers kids.

I was expecting them to tear it up given they all played pro hockey during the lock out, but their trends are all way off from last year.

And what the hell happened to MPS. He looked incredible at the prospect tournament a few years back, then promptly put up 34 points as a rookie.

I wonder if there is a way to pry him out of there. He still had the tool's, perhaps in the right organization he could get his shit together.
I'm actually not surprised. I've always thought that Taylor Hall was a speedy scorer, but on the whole a fairly one-dimensional player who is easily out muscled along the boards. He still has a couple years to grow and develop physically so that could change, but I really think that ever since the few years between the Ovechkin and Toews draft years many top 5 picks have suffered from the media hype that has surrounded them.

RNH proved in the WJC this year that in big games he won't step it up. Every game in the NHL is a big game for young kids, particularly ones who have had big expectations piled upon their shoulders by a crazy fan base who haven't seen any consistent success in a decade. He's a soft and slight player who is already having shoulder trouble at a young age.

Eberle will likely be the standout in that group. I never expected him to become a player that would challenge for a scoring title, still don't to be honest, but I do think he will develop into an 80 point player. He doesn't seem to get pushed around as the other two, and he has become a less selfish player than I saw what I saw of him in junior. He doesn't strike me as being as fast as RNH or Hall, but I think he has faster hands.

These youngsters also don't have much in the way of true talent surrounding them or mentoring them. Horcoff? Smyth? Hemesky? Those are your veteran leaders on that team. Smyth has heart, Horcoff has a massively over-priced contract, and Hemesky is a good offensive forward but finds himself on the sideline with an injury all too often.

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised by the Oilers this year. If anything I'm surprised they actually have a better than .500 record right now.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Dave Davis ‏@DaveDavisHockey

Cody Hodgson celebrates his 23rd birthday tomorrow. Lindy Ruff currently trying to figure out how to wrap defensive awareness in a gift box.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:It's early but I have to say I'm surprised at the low scoring numbers we are seeing from the Oilers kids.

I'm actually not surprised. I've always thought that Taylor Hall was a speedy scorer, but on the whole a fairly one-dimensional player who is easily out muscled along the boards. He still has a couple years to grow and develop physically so that could change, but I really think that ever since the few years between the Ovechkin and Toews draft years many top 5 picks have suffered from the media hype that has surrounded them.

RNH proved in the WJC this year that in big games he won't step it up. Every game in the NHL is a big game for young kids, particularly ones who have had big expectations piled upon their shoulders by a crazy fan base who haven't seen any consistent success in a decade. He's a soft and slight player who is already having shoulder trouble at a young age.

Eberle will likely be the standout in that group. I never expected him to become a player that would challenge for a scoring title, still don't to be honest, but I do think he will develop into an 80 point player. He doesn't seem to get pushed around as the other two, and he has become a less selfish player than I saw what I saw of him in junior. He doesn't strike me as being as fast as RNH or Hall, but I think he has faster hands.

These youngsters also don't have much in the way of true talent surrounding them or mentoring them. Horcoff? Smyth? Hemesky? Those are your veteran leaders on that team. Smyth has heart, Horcoff has a massively over-priced contract, and Hemesky is a good offensive forward but finds himself on the sideline with an injury all too often.

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised by the Oilers this year. If anything I'm surprised they actually have a better than .500 record right now.
Seems like Eberle is already going to be more valuable than Hall and RNH, plus he'll probably be included being on Team Canada in Sochi!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.