Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Island Nucklehead »

If TO wants McDavid it will likely cost Phaneuf and their next 7 first round picks. Won't happen. I don't think there is a package you can offer the Oilers for that one.

Tanev, Horvat, Virtanen, Canucks next 4 1st round picks? Not enough. The kid IS a franchise.

What is Crosby worth? We should get used to being bent over by the Oilers, because it's going to happen a lot over the next 10-15 years.
BurningBeard
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by BurningBeard »

RoyalDude wrote:It's hard to imagine a trade that will never ever happen. McDavid is going to Edmonton, enough said
I'm not asking what trade will take place, I'm asking what does Toronto offer. They will make an offer for that pick.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
BurningBeard
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by BurningBeard »

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Look, MacJesus was upset but he will get over it. He will be a gawd in Edmonton. No way Edmonton trades the pick, it won't happen for all the tea in China. The Oilers can trade other saviours and get some decent return.
Mark 15:12-14
"What shall I do, then, with the one you call McJesus?" Pilate asked them. "Crucify him!" they shouted. "Why? What crime has he committed?" asked Pilate. But they shouted all the louder, "Crucify him!"
So it shall be written. So it shall be done.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Ok, what is with the automatic assumption that we are gonna get bent over by the Oilers alot in the future?

We shutout Crosby, Malkin, and the Penguins twice this season.....just saying. Our record against the Pens isn't terrible at all.

Edmonton has no goaltending, no defense, and terrible management.

Sure our team will decline over the next few seasons, but the Oilers are already declined.

What elite goaltender are they going to get? Who has one to give up?

Who is going to part with that franchise defenseman?

Most of the talent that Edmonton NEEDS hold NTC's and won't go to Edmonton for anything.

I'm not sure who said it today on the radio, but they were right when they suggested that the Oilers will not turn the ship around until Katz cleans house from Lowe on down.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Where is Lowe's other fist?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Boston Canucker
CC Veteran

Post by Boston Canucker »

If Katz has a brain in his head on hockey matters, which seems unlikely, he'd can the whole nepotistic Oilers hierarchy, go out and get someone like Chiarelli/Shero or any of the top Asst, GMS in the league to manage this now treasure trove of assets. If I was an Oilers' fan - and thank god I'm not - I'd be real freaking nervous now. It's great for them getting McDavid, but now with 4 picks in 6 years it's about winning Cups (a la Chicago that tanked for many years) not just making the playoffs - you don't tank for almost 10 yrs just to get to the 2nd round. The Oilers have some great ingredients but they've got a couple of short order cooks working the line...they need a freaking chef now! Here's hoping they don't get one, and all that talent never quite turns into a team and before you know it Hall, RGN, etc leave as UFAs that that the Oilers can't afford.
herb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by herb »

Boston Canucker wrote:The Oilers have some great ingredients but they've got a couple of short order cooks working the line...they need a freaking chef now! Here's hoping they don't get one, and all that talent never quite turns into a team and before you know it Hall, RGN, etc leave as UFAs that that the Oilers can't afford.
Amen!

My only hope is this buys the nepotism crowd more time behind the wheel.

The Oilers still don't have a team. They have a bunch of decent young forwards, but they don't have a team.

MacTavish and Lowe have been too afraid of failing to make a trade. I hope that continues.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Topper wrote:The drug dealer would be wise to cut ties with the goal happy team of bye-gone years and move in on some of the top shelf management and coaching talent available this off season.
Boston Canucker wrote:If Katz has a brain in his head on hockey matters, which seems unlikely, he'd can the whole nepotistic Oilers hierarchy, go out and get someone like Chiarelli/Shero or any of the top Asst, GMS in the league to manage this now treasure trove of assets. If I was an Oilers' fan - and thank god I'm not - I'd be real freaking nervous now. It's great for them getting McDavid, but now with 4 picks in 6 years it's about winning Cups (a la Chicago that tanked for many years) not just making the playoffs - you don't tank for almost 10 yrs just to get to the 2nd round. The Oilers have some great ingredients but they've got a couple of short order cooks working the line...they need a freaking chef now! Here's hoping they don't get one, and all that talent never quite turns into a team and before you know it Hall, RGN, etc leave as UFAs that that the Oilers can't afford.
Echo

Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

McClellan officially leaving, by mutual consent, his coaching job. No word yet if he is staying with the organization. He could work well in Edmonton.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

....except he was never involved with the Gretzky-Messier era Oilers.

BurningBeard
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by BurningBeard »

Hockey Widow wrote:McClellan officially leaving, by mutual consent, his coaching job. No word yet if he is staying with the organization. He could work well in Edmonton.
The thought of people like Chiarelli and McLellan being GM and coach of the Oilers just made me pee myself. Now I know how RD feels. :oops:
Last edited by BurningBeard on Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Rumsfeld »

Generational players tend to win Cups.

Even Edmonton can't screw this up completely. Their prospect pool is fucking stacked.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Diehard1
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Diehard1 »

Rumsfeld wrote:Generational players tend to win Cups.

Even Edmonton can't screw this up completely. Their prospect pool is fucking stacked.
Their prospect pool is average - Nurse And Draisaitl are the only ones worth anything and they were 7th and 3rd overall. Lots of shitty years and most of their top young players have been playing in the bigs the majority of that time. Not including their upcoming picks I would take our prospects over theirs any day or the week.

Add McDavid, their other first and a high second and it gets a lot better - but they've been drafting terribly and developing even worse for years. They'll throw McDavid right into the deep end next year, hopefully he's ready physically because he's playing whether he is or not.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Down to 4 teams for O'Connor

OTT, VAN, EDM, NYR.

If Benning snags this kid then you know he will be the likely starter in Utica and most definitely Lack or Markstrom, or both, will be gone in the off season. Thatcher still has 1-2 more years in college so this gives a nice transition for goaltending.

NYR would see him wait a long time to replace Lundquist. Edmonton he could probably be promised back up role but is he ready? No. Ottawa would be intriguing for him. Vancouver I think provides him with the best developmental opportunity and Benning knows the kid and thinks he has what it takes to be a future number one.

Vancouver also provides him the opportunity to be back up in 2-3 years and transition into the number one if he has it.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: NYR would see him wait a long time to replace Lundquist. Edmonton he could probably be promised back up role but is he ready? No. Ottawa would be intriguing for him. Vancouver I think provides him with the best developmental opportunity and Benning knows the kid and thinks he has what it takes to be a future number one.

Vancouver also provides him the opportunity to be back up in 2-3 years and transition into the number one if he has it.
I can see Edmonton offering him an NHL spot really quick, and the chance to play with a generational player like McDavid is likely to be a big draw. Wouldn't be shocked to see him go to the Oilers. If he's smart he'll go to Vancouver or New York.