Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Hockey Widow »

Sharp traded to Dallas with a prospect for Daley and a prospect.
The only HW the Canucks need
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Lancer wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:McDavid scored 5 goals in his first Oilers prospect scrimmage/exhibition game tonight.

I felt a little bit of pee come out. :oops:
Well that's why we got Prust!

HURT HIM PRUST!!
Wouldn't that be some kharmic shit if McJesus got a career-limiting injury in pre-season??? :twisted:

Yeahno, I wouldn't really wish that on a kid....

Oh who am I kidding? That little sperm-stain's an Oiler. Of course I would.

Somebody cripple that kid!!! :devil:
NO NO NO !

Mc Jesus will come in handy during the various world cup/ Olympic outings for team canada over the next ten years or so.

I'm okay with edmonchuck reaping some benefits from this because in the end it's still oily greasy crack and alcohol rat infested northern Alberta
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

The big get bigger, Chris Stewart signs a 1-year deal with Anaheim.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote:The big get bigger, Chris Stewart signs a 1-year deal with Anaheim.

Man Benning is asleep at the wheel.mwhy wasn't he in on that?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Man Benning is asleep at the wheel.mwhy wasn't he in on that?
:D

Benning signs Stewart, bedwetters: Image

Benning doesn't sign Stewart, bedwetters: Image

Fear and loathing in Vancouver. Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

13m ago
ANAHEIM DUCKS

RYAN KESLER
Kelser signs six-year extension with Ducks

Ryan Kesler has signed a six-year contract extension with the Anaheim Ducks. The deal carries an average annual value of $6.875 million.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

TDA Rum wrote:13m ago
ANAHEIM DUCKS

RYAN KESLER

Ryan Kesler has signed a six-year contract extension with the Anaheim Ducks. The deal carries an average annual value of $6.875 million.
Good. Kesler is still a beast, but that is a ridiculous term for a guy with major miles on that body. He will be 38 by the time this deal is over. Should hurt Anaheim in a few years as they pay big bucks for a beat up centre.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

That's a big raise for a guy who will be 32 when that deal kicks in and has been in decline since 2011.

The Ducks are well on course to have their own stale core in 2 or 3 years. 8-)
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

TDA Rum wrote:13m ago
ANAHEIM DUCKS

RYAN KESLER

Yowza, and with an NMC for the first 5 yrs. Well, it's Cup or Bust for the Ducks I guess given Perry and Getzlaf's age, so I get this in the sense they are willing to risk this deal looking bad in years 5-7 if the Ducks win a Cup or two before then. And the Ducks have a lot of cap room to work with. Still, I'm surprised it's this much...he better stay healthy!!
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Boston Canucker wrote: And the Ducks have a lot of cap room to work with.
The Ducks have a pretty low internal cap that they have enforced, I would think this signing means they are going to have a lot of young players in their lineup in the coming years. Though they seem to have a good amount of talent in that area.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

JelloPuddingPop wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote: And the Ducks have a lot of cap room to work with.
The Ducks have a pretty low internal cap that they have enforced, I would think this signing means they are going to have a lot of young players in their lineup in the coming years. Though they seem to have a good amount of talent in that area.
yes, they have a really talented and at the moment cheap D. This is the benefit of great drafting. they've clearly got the thumbs up to raise the internal cap, because they are going to have to pony up for that D core in a few years. This will all come down to whether they win a Cup or two in the next 4 yrs or so. If they do, I guess they've calculated it's worth the back-end cost on that deal...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Way more than I thought he would get. I think his best years are behind him. He still has some miles left and I thought had beast mode all over him in the playoffs. So given they want to win a few cups and only have Bieksa for five years this deal makes sense :mrgreen:

Not surprised it is trade protected but a full NMC for five years....

Wow, six years. Anaheim is doing what MG did. They have a lot of aging trade protected players on their core. But they have drafted well and should be able to fill any holes internally with some good young players. Still, holly hell, no way would we have been able to keep Kesler at those numbers.

The bar is set for Lucic's next contract. Get ready for it.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Johnny O signs in Dallas, two years 3.7 mil per. Got tired of waiting on Chicago I guess. So Dallas trades Dailey to get Sharp then sign Johnny O to replace Dailey. Smart work by Nil.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

The Ducks were kind of in a damned if you do, damned if you don't territory. They want to win a cup, and Kesler will be a big part of making that happen. So they can't trade him. They also can't let him reach free agency. The deal is probably 2 years too long and a little high on the cap, but what options did they have? The NTC/NMC is automatic for a player like Kesler. If he and his agent want it in there, it's going in, simple as that.

And Anaheim is doing what every team that has a good core trying to get over the hump does, they keep their core players. It's not like MG invented this NTC/NMC thing. Chicago, the gold standard these days, has given them out to guys like Anisimov and Bickell. It's likely that in 4 years the Ducks will not like this deal, but that's the trade off for keeping a Getzlaf-Kesler pairing down the middle while the team is competitive. If the Ducks win a cup, the deal is worth it.
Hockey Widow wrote: The bar is set for Lucic's next contract. Get ready for it.
The Canucks should want no part of Lucic at Sedin money. He's a luxury item, a complimentary piece on a good team. He's not someone you build around, and certainly not at that money when he'll be (if he's not already) exiting his prime years.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

The Ducks were kind of in a damned if you do, damned if you don't territory. They want to win a cup, and Kesler will be a big part of making that happen. So they can't trade him. They also can't let him reach free agency. The deal is probably 2 years too long and a little high on the cap, but what options did they have? The NTC/NMC is automatic for a player like Kesler. If he and his agent want it in there, it's going in, simple as that.
Good point. Objectively signing any UFA pushing 30 - especially when their game depends on a style of play they can't sustain with injuries - to a long-term deal is a bad value proposition. You won't get your money's worth, but you have to make win now moves sometimes that change the scale. The Ducks are serious contenders, would two more seasons being an elite team be worth four years of dragging old bodies around? My gut says yes. So, what would be a dumb contract for 25 teams in the league to sign, might not be for the few that are legit cup contenders.

Canucks have no use for Lucic. We are three to five years from contention and can't be spent back into the picture. Lucic will not be paying dividends on his next deal at the end of it, of that I'm quite sure.