Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: Is he in Crosby/Malkin territory? Is he worth Stamkos money?
Stamkos is 27 and will be 35 when his contract expires.

Stamkos will be 26 when his contract expires, we’ll see what he gets about 3 years henceforth.
WTF? :look:
Thanks, post fixed.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: Is he in Crosby/Malkin territory? Is he worth Stamkos money?
Malkin will be 27 when his present contract expires, we’ll see what he gets about 1 year henceforth.
It will be interesting to see where the Penguins are in the next couple years.

Malkin, Letang, Sutter, Kunitz, Orpik, and Niskanen will all need new contracts after next season.

Fleury and Martin have one more year after that.

If Getzlaf just got $8.25M per year then you know that Malkin will be wanting more than that. There is no way Kunitz and Letang don't want big raises after the years they have had in Pittsburgh lately. Fleury will probably want the same, though he's NOT worth it.

I'm betting Fleury is gone, and it will be interesting to see if they are able to come to terms with Malkin. They traded Staal because they knew they couldn't afford him, but with the salary cap dropping, signings like Weber, Suter, Parise, and now Getzlaf, I just have to think that future negotiations with Malkin and his agent just got a lot more difficult.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: When you look at that list and see the number of names that are on teams that are really no threat whatsoever to win a Cup.....well you have to think that the teams that are going to be at top of the league 4 years from now are not going to be the teams paying out those salaries that are in the top 5 of that list. Not with a salary cap in the $66M range.
You seem to be overlooking the fact that if the salaries of the top players go up

... the salaries of the lesser players go down.

There is only so much room in a team's budget or salary cap amirite?

This is all of course only while the cap remains stagnant.

The salary cap will probably be in the $80mil range "4 years from now".
Mëds wrote: I know I would hate to be an owner of one of the NHL franchises that makes money and have to watch teams like Anaheim who lose $10.9M a year (according to Forbes) sign a player like Getzlaf to that kind of money when I would love to have him on my team for the same cash.....then have to cut a cheque to the league for revenue sharing.
If you were an NHL owner you’d understand that revenue-sharing helps ensure a financially healthy league.

If you were an NHL owner you’d understand a financially healthy league guarantees increasing franchise values.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Would any of you trade Ballard and Booth and their contracts for Getzlaf and his new contract?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:Would any of you trade Ballard and Booth and their contracts for Getzlaf and his new contract?
Yes, I would. But I doubt that :mrgreen: Anaheim would.
The only HW the Canucks need
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Mëds wrote:Looking at the top 20 salaries in the league.....(not cap hits as the argument here has been expecting a trend towards actual value/salary rather than long contracts with frontloaded salary to drop cap hit towards the end of the contract).

Shea Weber $14M
Brad Richards $12M
Tyler Myers $12M
Zach Parise $12M
Ryan Suter $12M
Ilya Kovalchuk $11M
Vincent Lecavalier $10M
Evgeni Malkin $9M
Alex Ovechkin $9M
Eric Staal $8.5M
Mike Richards $8.4M
Jason Spezza $8M
Duncan Keith $8M
Christian Ehrhoff $8M
Steven Stamkos $8M
Marian Hossa $7.9M
Henrik Zetterberg $7.75M
Rick Nash $7.6M
Sidney Crosby $7.5M

Getzlaf certainy belongs among those names when you consider what he brings to the Ducks. There are names on that list that simply inspire a big ole WTF.

When you look at that list and see the number of names that are on teams that are really no threat whatsoever to win a Cup.....well you have to think that the teams that are going to be at top of the league 4 years from now are not going to be the teams paying out those salaries that are in the top 5 of that list. Not with a salary cap in the $66M range.

I know I would hate to be an owner of one of the NHL franchises that makes money and have to watch teams like Anaheim who lose $10.9M a year (according to Forbes) sign a player like Getzlaf to that kind of money when I would love to have him on my team for the same cash.....then have to cut a cheque to the league for revenue sharing.

Wow theres 3 ex-Rockets in that group. I love the Dub.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ryan O'Reilly with another goal tonight for another Colorado win. Seems to me that the Lanche are playing better with O'Reilly back in town. And who was it here who says he's a bum?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

According to Bruce Garrioch (yeah I know), the Panthers are ready to start their nearly annual fire sale.

This year's untouchables include Gudbranson, Huberdeau and... drumroll please... Drew Shore. :scowl:

Meanwhile, another dave babych returns target on the Panthers, Shawn Matthias, is "sick of losing."

We'll take him here if he wants to be on a winning team, after all we're sixth in the conference and might even take our division! :thumbs:
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

we need to do something...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

rats19 wrote:we need to do something...
what do you want to do?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Topper wrote:
rats19 wrote:we need to do something...
what do you want to do?
become an elite team again..
trade a goalie
trade booth & ballard (if both can be done) same deal or different deal..dont care

pick up a backup goalie
a centre and a top4 dman

change coaches

be a good start..no?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

:lol:

Deal three roster players, shitcan the coach, rocket back up the standings... yeah that would be a hell of a start rats. Count me in!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I sure hope that Gillis doesn't move the quality asset that Luongo is for just a quick fix veteren rental player. As Gillis thinks about plugging holes NOW he has to mind the future in the meantime as well. I don't think quick fix rental players is what this team needs, we are not cup favorites. Our best players, the Sedins, Burrows and Bieksa are all 30 year olds...we need to get Younger, Bigger and Faster.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

RoyalDude wrote:I sure hope that Gillis doesn't move the quality asset that Luongo is for just a quick fix veteren rental player. As Gillis thinks about plugging holes NOW he has to mind the future in the meantime as well. I don't think quick fix rental players is what this team needs, we are not cup favorites. Our best players, the Sedins, Burrows and Bieksa are all 30 year olds...we need to get Younger, Bigger and Faster.
And have a coach with a plan to intergrate the younger players.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:I sure hope that Gillis doesn't move the quality asset that Luongo is for just a quick fix veteren rental player. As Gillis thinks about plugging holes NOW he has to mind the future in the meantime as well. I don't think quick fix rental players is what this team needs, we are not cup favorites. Our best players, the Sedins, Burrows and Bieksa are all 30 year olds...we need to get Younger, Bigger and Faster.

He would have already done that if that's what he was going to do. Fact is he will likely have to include a quality young cheap asset ( Hansen, Tanev) along with RL to unload the contract. Clowns like the Pauser can mouth off about wanting this huge return for Luongo but it isn't going to happen. Our other best players are also well under 30 years old like edler, Schneider, Kesler, Hansen. Yes the team needs to get younger but they aren't the old goats you keep chanting about.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”