Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3404
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Madcombinepilot » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:56 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:15 pm
theman wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:07 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:05 pm
BladesofSteel wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:55 am
This doesn't fall on Gillis.
I think most of the adults understand this. The contracts should have been grandfathered in by the league.
What did the Canucks do to get the ire of the league on this?
Gillis

He made a lot of enemies when he was a Players Agent.
Holy fuck Dude. Can you let it go already?!? All that hate is gonna burn you up! EVERYONE knows you hate the guy.

We understand that on his deathbed, your gonna unplug his life support to charge your IPhone 4. We get where he ranks in terms of importance and priorities in your life. Even Blob gets it by now...

.. or embrace the hate... but ffs, don't mention it every other post. Your worse than my grandmothers broken Kenny Rogers Record stuck on repeat.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 5032
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Reefer2 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:09 pm

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:56 pm
RoyalDude wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:15 pm
theman wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:07 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:05 pm
BladesofSteel wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:55 am
This doesn't fall on Gillis.
I think most of the adults understand this. The contracts should have been grandfathered in by the league.
What did the Canucks do to get the ire of the league on this?
Gillis

He made a lot of enemies when he was a Players Agent.
Holy fuck Dude. Can you let it go already?!? All that hate is gonna burn you up! EVERYONE knows you hate the guy.

We understand that on his deathbed, your gonna unplug his life support to charge your IPhone 4. We get where he ranks in terms of importance and priorities in your life. Even Blob gets it by now...

.. or embrace the hate... but ffs, don't mention it every other post. Your worse than my grandmothers broken Kenny Rogers Record stuck on repeat.
He can't and neither can his puppets.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 22687
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Strangelove » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:20 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:09 pm
He can't and neither can his puppets.
Blob made you say that.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 22687
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Strangelove » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:21 pm

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:56 pm
Even Blob gets it by now...
I dunno about that. :mrgreen:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: Lower left-hand corner

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by BladesofSteel » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:36 pm

This isn't just about Bettman/Daly/Burke et al getting even with Gillis, this effects a handful of teams. Detroit, LA (Philly), Montreal (Nashville), Minnesota, and Chicago.

Zetterberg, Franzen, Carter/Richards, Weber, Suter/Parise, Hossa/Keith

Heck, you can go right back to Mad Mike signing Rick Dipietro 15 years ago. While not a cap dodging move per se, but you don't think that deal miffed a few exec's throughout the league?

Gillis made a number of poor plays over the years, but today's news doesn't land on his shoulders.

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 6847
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Meds » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:37 pm

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:34 pm
givemeda411 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:44 am
Myers isn't out of the question.

Buying out Spooner gives us an extra $2M in cap space
Buying out Schaller gives us an extra $1M in cap space
No need to buy either out - drop them into the minors and you save almost the same amount of cap space, but the contracts are only on the books for 1 year instead of 2.
Trading Eriksson (hard to do) and Tanev (easy to do if willing to accept a less than stellar return) would also make a ton of space.

Jim could give Boeser $8.5M, Myers $6M, also sign Gardiner for $7M, extend Goldobin for $1M, re-up Schenn for $1.5M, and still have almost $7M to play with. Now factor in Lou's recapture and it's still a $4M cushion. I'm not saying do it, I'm just saying that it's doable with a few roster changes. Oh and my capfriendly.com scenario included taking back $2M in cap space on a Tanev trade. So if you can move Tanev for a pick and a prospect then it's even more room to breathe.

By the time Hughes and Petey need new deals, Edler, Sutter, Pearson, and Baertschi, are all off the books. That's a total of $15M gone. Markstrom, Spooner, Schaller, Stecher, and Biega, are all going to be done this year. That's another $11.5M clear.

Granted they all need to be replaced, but some of them can be replaced for much cheaper, and more productivity, than what we currently see.

User avatar
UWSaint
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by UWSaint » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:09 am

Haula to Carolina for Nicolas Roy and a 5th rounder.

Roy is (IMO) a decent prospect. Chances are equal that he'll peak as an indistinguishable bubble guy that is exposed to waivers eventually or that he wil become a solid middle 6 forward. Definitely a better-than-average 4th round pick.

Haula is on a good contract (under $3 million) for his overall skill. But he's coming off injury, not a spring chicken, and the deal is done at the end of the year.

I'd say a good deal for both teams (given that Vegas needs to move guys out). But Vegas needs to move more. They have a huge set of contracts that are neither millstones nor great deals. The worst in Pacioretty, in my view, but he's still a good player (might be worth $7m for the next couple seasons, but term is longer). Moving players shouldn't be too hard for them at the end of the day.
Hono_rary Canadian

User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 10265
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Micky » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:31 pm

St. Louis Blues
‏@StLouisBlues

TWO MORE YEARS!!! Carl Gunnarsson has agreed to a two-year contract with the Blues worth $1.75 million per year. http://bit.ly/2XeWCI0 #stlblues
Would have been a free agent. Why is this somewhat relevant? Because this is round-abouts, where I think smiley Ben should have
been at the same point.

Blues are getting plenty of kudos and I guess rightfully so.

Bet Hutton will end up "re-signing" with the Canucks as a FA.
"evolution"

User avatar
Hank
CC Legend
Posts: 4166
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Hank » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:49 pm

I have a trade to announce...

Avs Acquire:

- Andre Burakovsky

Caps Acquire:

- UFA forward Scott Kosmachuk
- Second-round pick (2020)
- Third-round pick (2020)
Try to focus on THIS year...

User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2332
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Riga, Latvia

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Lancer » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:10 pm

Hank wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:49 pm
I have a trade to announce...

Avs Acquire:

- Andre Burakovsky

Caps Acquire:

- UFA forward Scott Kosmachuk
- Second-round pick (2020)
- Third-round pick (2020)
Jesus Christ... these guys are going to be scary up front. Burakovsky was one of the ones I was hoping Benning could swing a deal to get. Oh well...
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

User avatar
Jovocop
CC Legend
Posts: 3779
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Jovocop » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:55 pm

Lancer wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:10 pm
Hank wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:49 pm
I have a trade to announce...

Avs Acquire:

- Andre Burakovsky

Caps Acquire:

- UFA forward Scott Kosmachuk
- Second-round pick (2020)
- Third-round pick (2020)
Jesus Christ... these guys are going to be scary up front. Burakovsky was one of the ones I was hoping Benning could swing a deal to get. Oh well...
With a career high of 38 pts, the Avalanches traded a 2nd and 3rd round pick for Burakovsky. With a career high of 58 pts, the Canucks somehow overpaid a 1st and a 3rd to get JT Miller? How much would Burakovsky sign for the next contract? $4+ mil??

User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 16369
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Chef Boi RD » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:06 pm

Burskowsky’s last 4 seasons
Acquired with a 2nd and a 3rd and Kosmachuk

2019 - 12 goals 13 assists
2018 - 12 goals 13 assists
2017 - 12 goals 23 assists
2016 - 17 goals 21 assists

Mind blowing numbers

J.T. Miller last 4 seasons
Acquired with a conditional 1st and a 3rd

2019 - 13 goals 34 assists (75 games)
2018 - 10 goals 8 assists (19 games) Tampa
2018 - 13 goals 27 assists (63 games) NYR
2017 - 22 goals 34 assists
2016 - 22 goals 21 assists
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Hank
CC Legend
Posts: 4166
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Hank » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:13 pm

Jovocop wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:55 pm
Lancer wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:10 pm
Hank wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:49 pm
I have a trade to announce...

Avs Acquire:

- Andre Burakovsky

Caps Acquire:

- UFA forward Scott Kosmachuk
- Second-round pick (2020)
- Third-round pick (2020)
Jesus Christ... these guys are going to be scary up front. Burakovsky was one of the ones I was hoping Benning could swing a deal to get. Oh well...
With a career high of 38 pts, the Avalanches traded a 2nd and 3rd round pick for Burakovsky. With a career high of 58 pts, the Canucks somehow overpaid a 1st and a 3rd to get JT Miller? How much would Burakovsky sign for the next contract? $4+ mil??
I was just going to add to this...

If you compare Miller with Burakovsky the last 5 seasons:

- Miller was a true top-6 player
- Miller averaged 2 more minutes per game
- Miller averaged 52 points/season vs Burakovsky’s 29 points/season
- Miller averaged 80 games/season vs Burakovsky’s 65 games/season
- Both player’s overall metrics much better than Bo’s

Given both teams had cap concerns and several teams were interested in both of these guys to drive up their trade value, I don’t see how Miller was a huge overpayment.

EDIT: damn, Dude beat me to it.
Try to focus on THIS year...

User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 16369
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Chef Boi RD » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:16 pm

Hank wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:13 pm
I don’t see how Miller was a huge overpayment.

EDIT: damn, Dude beat me to it.
He wasn’t an overpayment, you’re listening to the wrong people
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 16909
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:16 pm

Tampa has a good chance of getting a lottery pick
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Post Reply