Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

givemeda411
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:20 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by givemeda411 »

Jovocop wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:15 am
givemeda411 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:10 am Luongo Retires....

https://www.nhl.com/panthers/news/luong ... Zxtsaa_7ac


So $2.8M cap hit?
Can Luongo not go on LTIR instead?
Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

On to the business: VAN will get hit with a cap recapture penalty of slightly more than $3M in each of the next three seasons. FLA cap recapture penalty will be slightly more than $1M in each of next three seasons.
With the Panthers about to buyout Riemer and sign Bobrovsky & Panarin, I doubt they wanted him on LTIR. I bet they even pushed him into it.
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Legend
Posts: 3779
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Jovocop »

givemeda411 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:29 am
Jovocop wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:15 am
givemeda411 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:10 am Luongo Retires....

https://www.nhl.com/panthers/news/luong ... Zxtsaa_7ac


So $2.8M cap hit?
Can Luongo not go on LTIR instead?
Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

On to the business: VAN will get hit with a cap recapture penalty of slightly more than $3M in each of the next three seasons. FLA cap recapture penalty will be slightly more than $1M in each of next three seasons.
With the Panthers about to buyout Riemer and sign Bobrovsky & Panarin, I doubt they wanted him on LTIR. I bet they even pushed him into it.
Could JB trade a 7th rounder for Luongo and put him on LTIR instead?
User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 19603
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Gillis strikes again, 6 years later, while studying Aussie Rules Football
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 12345
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Topper »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:35 am Gillis strikes again, 6 years later, while studying Aussie Rules Football
No, at the time it was a good deal. Subsequent retroactive rule changes by the NHL penalized the agreement.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 19603
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:37 am
RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:35 am Gillis strikes again, 6 years later, while studying Aussie Rules Football
No, at the time it was a good deal. Subsequent retroactive rule changes by the NHL penalized the agreement.
Wasn’t Gillis supposed to be ahead of the game? A true visionary? To the point of weird? Like “how the fuck?”

The slowest skater to mankind - Hodgson, says hi!
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
givemeda411
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:20 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by givemeda411 »

Myers isn't out of the question.

Buying out Spooner gives us an extra $2M in cap space
Buying out Schaller gives us an extra $1M in cap space
User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 20749
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Pee Pee pants throwing his diapers around again
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1548
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: Lower left-hand corner

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by BladesofSteel »

This doesn't fall on Gillis.
User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 20749
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

BladesofSteel wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:55 am This doesn't fall on Gillis.
I think most of the adults understand this. The contracts should have been grandfathered in by the league.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1237
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by theman »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:05 pm
BladesofSteel wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:55 am This doesn't fall on Gillis.
I think most of the adults understand this. The contracts should have been grandfathered in by the league.
Yeah, that really pisses me off. What did the Canucks do to get the ire of the league on this? You know Boston, Toronto or pretty much any other American franchise would have gotten it grandfathered in.
User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 19603
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Chef Boi RD »

theman wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:07 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:05 pm
BladesofSteel wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:55 am This doesn't fall on Gillis.
I think most of the adults understand this. The contracts should have been grandfathered in by the league.
What did the Canucks do to get the ire of the league on this?
Gillis

He made a lot of enemies when he was a Players Agent.
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
User avatar
2Fingers
MVP
MVP
Posts: 5641
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:47 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by 2Fingers »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:15 pm
theman wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:07 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:05 pm
BladesofSteel wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:55 am This doesn't fall on Gillis.
I think most of the adults understand this. The contracts should have been grandfathered in by the league.
What did the Canucks do to get the ire of the league on this?
Gillis

He made a lot of enemies when he was a Players Agent.
#itsallgillisfault
User avatar
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP
Posts: 13313
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Topper wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:37 am
RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:35 am Gillis strikes again, 6 years later, while studying Aussie Rules Football
No, at the time it was a good deal. Subsequent retroactive rule changes by the NHL penalized the agreement.
Why cant this rediculous ruling be appealed?
Ah fuck this place cracks me up
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:48 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Diehard1 »

givemeda411 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:44 am Myers isn't out of the question.

Buying out Spooner gives us an extra $2M in cap space
Buying out Schaller gives us an extra $1M in cap space
No need to buy either out - drop them into the minors and you save almost the same amount of cap space, but the contracts are only on the books for 1 year instead of 2.
ESQ
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3223
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by ESQ »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:32 pm
Topper wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:37 am
RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:35 am Gillis strikes again, 6 years later, while studying Aussie Rules Football
No, at the time it was a good deal. Subsequent retroactive rule changes by the NHL penalized the agreement.
Why cant this rediculous ruling be appealed?
Because Aquilini either agreed to the retroactive rule change at a governor's meeting, or failed to convince enough fellow owners at the time that it shouldn't be retroactive.

Either way, there is zero percent chance the league will do anything to help the canucks, just another lump to be taken.

I think we all knew when cap re capture was brought in that we would be the only team to suffer from it - even though Luongo made it closer than anybody to completing his contract.
Post Reply