Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Which means another expansion draft where our players are a year older and exposed. Hopefully it will be after July 2018 so we don't have to protect the twins!
I'm not saying Quebec won't find a way to make it work for 2017.

In fact, it's in Bettman's best interests to make it so.

https://notyouraveragehockeyblog.com/20 ... o-the-nhl/

BTW just a guess, but common sense tells me Sedins wouldn't have to be protected as impending UFAs in 2018.

I know, I know, common sense + NHL is often like oil + water...

But yeah, you're right, best thing for Canucks would be if both teams enter in 2017.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The twins would do the Canucks a solid and waive their NMC as soon as the season was over :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Strangelove wrote:
dbr wrote:Is there even a second serious bid at this point? Seattle doesn't have a building (and just had a huge setback with the current arena proposal) and Quebec couldn't pony up the money to file an application...
Quebec is very serious, the only thing holding them back is the low Canadian dollar.
:lol:

You're a funny guy, Doc.

I know it's the only thing holding them back but let's not act like the loonie is sure to return to par (and stay there) in the immediate future. Seattle could get an arena built, too..
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

I'd love to see Quebec back. Another Canadian team and a rekindled rivalry with the Habs...
Couple that with a Seattle franchise to help the Canucks' west coast travel woes and I'd be very pleased.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
dbr wrote:Is there even a second serious bid at this point? Seattle doesn't have a building (and just had a huge setback with the current arena proposal) and Quebec couldn't pony up the money to file an application...
Quebec is very serious, the only thing holding them back is the low Canadian dollar.
:lol:

You're a funny guy, Doc.

I know it's the only thing holding them back but let's not act like the loonie is sure to return to par (and stay there) in the immediate future. Seattle could get an arena built, too..
The low Canadian dollar is the only reason the Nords might not get in until 2018.

(the low canuck buck is merely slowing down the process)

As I said... Bettman will find a way to make this work.

Perhaps Quebec separates and joins the U S of A. :D

If so, would President Trump subsequently include Quebec within his new wall? :?
____
Try to focus on someday.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Well he certainly has to admire their knack for getting things paid for by others..
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Sutter signs a 2 year, 3M per, extension with LA. The team has an option third year. If the team picks up the option he gets 3M. If not he still gets paid a portion on the option year. Don't know the amount. So Daryl will be back for at least two years. Crush the Flame hopefuls that the prodigal son would return.

Tough week for Flames fans. Dallas loses, Flames get a 2nd rounder. All the coaches they wanted, gone! Not to worry. Treliving will go off the board with a coach and the faithful will proclaim that was the guy they wanted all along :eh:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
As I said... Bettman will find a way to make this work.

Perhaps Quebec separates and joins the U S of A. :D

If so, would President Trump subsequently include Quebec within his new wall? :?
Well he certainly has to admire their knack for getting things paid for by others..
Who, Bettman or Trump? :D

Fuckin rich guys amirite? ;)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:Sutter signs a 2 year, 3M per, extension with LA.
Gotta admit I'm surprised by this... didn't the team lock him out of the locker-room once or twice?

Well when they announced the extension, they also announced big changes are coming.

I believe them. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Strangelove wrote:
Gotta admit I'm surprised by this... didn't the team lock him out of the locker-room once or twice?

Well when they announced the extension, they also announced big changes are coming.

Has Looch signed yet? If not, was he waiting for Sutter to re-sign?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

vic wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

Has Looch signed yet? If not, was he waiting for Sutter to re-sign?

No, he is waiting for an offer. Both sides have bantied around ideas but no firm offers have been exchanged. The Kings know he really wants to stay and they know he will give a home team discount. They are in no rush, well not until July 1st approaches and Lucic will wait until the last possible moment. The Kings have him where they want him.

They have bigger issues to address, like the cap and defence. I think they will try to move Brown and Gaborik. They have some RFAs to deal with. Lucic is in their plans, they gave up a lot to get him. I think they'll find a way to make it work especially if he shaves a million+ on a home team discount.

I don't expect Lucic to hit the market and I'd be fine with that. Not that I don't think he could help us, a lot, but because I'm not comfortable with many of Benning's signings. I can live with his trades, love his drafting, but am really uncomfortable with his contracts. Given his hard on for Lucic I think it would be a bad contract, perhaps worse than some other FAs.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: They have bigger issues to address, like the cap and defence. I think they will try to move Brown and Gaborik. They have some RFAs to deal with. Lucic is in their plans, they gave up a lot to get him.
Buyouts? I don't see anyone in their right mind doing the Kings a solid and taking 30-point NTC Douche Bag's $5.875 cap hit until 2022 off their hands. A DB buyout would take until 2028 and peak at a $3.68 Cap hit in 20/21 and 21/22.

Gaborik's deal ain't much better, but he doesn't have a No-Trade and he might be able to still produce some points, for under $5M cap-wise. But with 5 years left, I don't know how much longer his body will hold up (LTIR commando?).

Gaborik (25% retained), 2016 2nd and 2017 4th for Linden "Hitman" Vey. :lol:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

All true IN. Perhaps they trade Gaborik to a team needing to reach the floor, with some retention on the Kng's part. Brown will be a problem due to his NTC. The only thing they can leverage him with is the threat of waivers. I guess they can go one more year with him, hope he is more productive and then not protect him in the expansion draft and hope Las Vegas has interest.

They need to shore up their D big time. They are going down the same road the Hawks did. Hope your top three can carry the load.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So the Bolts say Stamkos is in a holding pattern but yesterday Stamkos said, for the first time, he may not play in the playoffs this year. It reads like a tug of war. Stamkos isn't going to risk his health if he doesn't have a contract and Tampa doesn't seem to be in the mood to negotiate right now. A strange situation.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Hockey Widow wrote:So the Bolts say Stamkos is in a holding pattern but yesterday Stamkos said, for the first time, he may not play in the playoffs this year. It reads like a tug of war. Stamkos isn't going to risk his health if he doesn't have a contract and Tampa doesn't seem to be in the mood to negotiate right now. A strange situation.
So, he won't play for the Stanley Cup??? Do we really want him with that "do or don't die" attitude?
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!