Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
More #nhl expansion draft info. sources indicate no-moves must be protected by teams. no-trade clauses not exempt and can be left exposed.
No doubt Garrison would be exposed in an expansion draft.

Callahan + Filppula as well of course.

I'd say Filppula gets bought out this summer.

Not sure how the bolts get rid of the cap-dump that Callahan has become.

Now there's a boat-anchor of a contract!

Boaty McBoatface.

I suppose they... could... buyout Callahan as well (lotsa money owed).

They might be tempted though because I think Callahan might have to take a protected spot (NMC - 2017 only).
Callahan's got a NMC which has a limited NTC for 2018/19 and 19/20. Not sure if that means he retains his No-Move but has to provide a trade list. If he keeps the NMC that screws them come expansion time. Fillpula has a NMC with some form of trade protection as well. Kind of grey as they look like combination deals, ie they can't be waived but they can be asked to submit trade lists.
Word is that only FULL NMCs have to take up a protection spot.

(if a player has a limited NTC, that means by definition he has a limited NMC)

So Callahan wouldn't have to be protected if an expansion draft happens in 2018.

Not sure about 2017 in his particular case.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: It seems that first and second year players on ELC's will be exempt.

So if the expansion draft happened next year, would Virtanen, McCann, Tryamkin and Hutton need to be protected? IIRC, the league year starts July 1st... so if the expansion draft happened in June would that mean they are still technically in their second year? Doc?
Virtanen and McCann would be exempt because expansion drafts happen before entry drafts.
____
Try to focus on someday.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Hockey Widow wrote:I could see LA exposing Brown, Chicago exposing Hossa, whereas SJS would have to protect both Thornton and Marleau. Some GM's are said to be trying to trade a number of players they feel they would have to expose to get picks/prospects. Look for MAF to be traded if the Pens can do it.
I hope they do it and I hope he retires. $4m left in salary to be paid out on his deal after the upcoming year, $16+m in salary cap recapture for the Blackhawks.

If only..
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

https://twitter.com/garylawless/status/ ... 7383576576
NHL, NHLPA have agreed to expansion draft rules, concpet. Doesn't mean expansion happens but major hurdle cleared, including no move clause.
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status ... 3065795584
Protection of 7 forwards, 3 D and goalie or 8 skaters and goalie remain in rules. Exemption for 2nd yr pro as well.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/matt ... el-fleury/
An interesting aspect of the recent deal worked out by the NHL and NHL Players’ Association regarding expansion draft rules is that only players with a full no-movement clause will have to be protected by their team, according to a source.

Fleury’s contract includes a no-movement clause for the purposes of waivers or being assigned to the American Hockey League, but it is limited when it comes to trades. Each year he submits a 12-team list of teams where he can’t be dealt.

As a result, he’s not exempt from the expansion process and the Penguins would have to decide between protecting either him or Murray if both remained on the roster through the end of next season. It might ultimately force general manager Jim Rutherford into making up his mind sooner in order to trade one away and get a return on the asset.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: It seems that first and second year players on ELC's will be exempt.

So if the expansion draft happened next year, would Virtanen, McCann, Tryamkin and Hutton need to be protected? IIRC, the league year starts July 1st... so if the expansion draft happened in June would that mean they are still technically in their second year? Doc?
Virtanen and McCann would be exempt because expansion drafts happen before entry drafts.
So your saying that the expansion draft happens before July 1st so that can protect a player entering the third year of his entry level at that time. That's good..
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

micky107 wrote:I gotta look through that bloody CBA thing again to see if they covered anything about ELCs if expansion happens.
Could take a few days.. :cry:
A great idea. Give the CBA a read through front to back and back to front, and get back to us at the draft.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: So your saying that the expansion draft happens before July 1st so that can protect a player entering the third year of his entry level at that time. That's good..
Yes, Hutton would be exempt as well.

Not sure about Tryamkin though.

He played pro in the KHL... but we don't know yet if they will only count NHL + AHL

(and we don't yet know how many games played = season)

I keep saying sign Hamhuis to a series of one-year contracts.

That way if an expansion team plucks him in June.... he becomes a UFA in July

(and re-signs with his Vancouver Canucks) :mrgreen:

And now I'm off to the motherfucking dentist! :(

Scenes from Marathon Man will once again be running in my mind...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
micky107 wrote:I gotta look through that bloody CBA thing again to see if they covered anything about ELCs if expansion happens.
A great idea. Give the CBA a read through front to back and back to front, and get back to us at the draft.
The CBA won't be much use... expansion draft rules aren't covered.

(all expansion rules have been negotiated by the NHL + NHLPA)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Na, I'll let my kid do it so I can keep annoying the fuck out of you. :mrgreen:
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote:

This is good news. Thanks Doc.
Strangelove wrote: He played pro in the KHL... but we don't know yet if they will only count NHL + AHL
Well we know they don't think highly of the KHL. Panarin's going to win rookie of the year and he's a 7 year pro.

Really there shouldn't be much to worry about. Every team can only lose 1 or 2 guys, depending on the number of teams coming in. If we lose a Hansen or a Sbisa or a Miller, it's not the end of the world.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Keep in mind that there may only be one expansion team next year and one the year after. So players exempt next spring would not be exempt the spring of 2018 should there be another draft.

Gotta wonder if GM's will be advocating hard for one draft so they don't have to deal with this two years in a row.
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Is there even a second serious bid at this point? Seattle doesn't have a building (and just had a huge setback with the current arena proposal) and Quebec couldn't pony up the money to file an application...
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

dbr wrote:Is there even a second serious bid at this point? Seattle doesn't have a building (and just had a huge setback with the current arena proposal) and Quebec couldn't pony up the money to file an application...
And Vegas would much rather relocate a team than start from scratch. They'd love to move the Coyotes a little further north - wouldn't even need to change the name!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote:Is there even a second serious bid at this point? Seattle doesn't have a building (and just had a huge setback with the current arena proposal) and Quebec couldn't pony up the money to file an application...
Quebec is very serious, the only thing holding them back is the low Canadian dollar.

There were 14 other applicants... but they didn't want to become supplicants by agreeing to the NHL's terms.

Sheeesh... any chance Bettman comes down a tad on his $500M franchise fee? :look:

Of all the applicants, only Vegas and Quebec agreed to those terms.

Quebec was a sure thing until the canuck buck took a turn for the worse.

IMESHO it's just a matter of time until they're in.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:
Quebec is very serious, the only thing holding them back is the low Canadian dollar.

There were 14 other applicants... but they didn't want to become supplicants by agreeing to the NHL's terms.

Sheeesh... any chance Bettman comes down a tad on his $500M franchise fee? :look:

Of all the applicants, only Vegas and Quebec agreed to those terms.

Quebec was a sure thing until the canuck buck took a turn for the worse.

IMESHO it's just a matter of time until they're in.
Which means another expansion draft where our players are a year older and exposed. Hopefully it will be after July 2018 so we don't have to protect the twins!
The only HW the Canucks need