Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tiger
CC Rookie

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Tiger »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: It's been so long since we've had expansion I think Bettman will make it up as he goes along. I wonder if the cap recapture will apply if they pick up someone on a long night term deal and need to get to the floor. I wonder if NTC or NMC can be exposed.

We will need to protect Demko and Markstrom so maybe we need to sign an old vet. Oh wait Miller will be available.
Well if it's anything like the last expansion draft, we would be fine. Only two players from each team would be allowed to be picked, and we'd be able to protect most of our better players. ELC's were not eligible last time around, so our youth movement (including Demko) should be fine.

Guys like Dorsett, Vey, Weber, Miller if he's still here... not a huge loss.

It would be interesting to see which vets around the league get left unprotected. Would LA protect Dustin Brown and his mammoth deal?
Will the Canucks protect the aging Sedins ?
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Tiger wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: It's been so long since we've had expansion I think Bettman will make it up as he goes along. I wonder if the cap recapture will apply if they pick up someone on a long night term deal and need to get to the floor. I wonder if NTC or NMC can be exposed.

We will need to protect Demko and Markstrom so maybe we need to sign an old vet. Oh wait Miller will be available.
Well if it's anything like the last expansion draft, we would be fine. Only two players from each team would be allowed to be picked, and we'd be able to protect most of our better players. ELC's were not eligible last time around, so our youth movement (including Demko) should be fine.

It would be interesting to see which vets around the league get left unprotected. Would LA protect Dustin Brown and his mammoth deal?
Last time we didn't have to deal with NTC or NMC. I would imagine the PA would not be happy, nor would the players, if players with trade protection could be left unprotected. But then again a lot of owners with money may see it as a great chance to dump some contracts and the expansion teams do have to get to the cap floor.

Wonder what happens to the cap recapture clause? A lot of questions but I'm sure whatever favours the special owners will be the answer.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Tiger wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:

Yes, they would.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

dbr wrote:I know Topper is a super progressive guy and his remarks above are in jest but he is right that there simply isn't much of a story.. yet.
My gold digger/predator comment was the Coles Notes edition of the article HW quoted.

Any good PR person would advise Kane to keep a low profile while the story evolves whether the allegations are valid or not.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dbr
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by dbr »

You should see the one they (Buffalo News) ran before it. Half the article was the club owner Mark Croce lying about lacking any interest in the outcome and then ridiculing the behaviour of a woman in his establishment hours before the crime that he could not even link to it (but it was clear he was assuming she was the complainant). Totally uncritically given a platform by the paper.

Now they've drummed up some nice reaction quotes to fill up another article (the one HW posted) though, so good job for them I guess.
BurningBeard
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by BurningBeard »

dbr wrote:Half the article was the club owner Mark Croce...
That did seem a little self serving considering how much money Kane was dropping at his establishment.

What business owner in their right mind goes out of their way to make a public comment about an ongoing rape investigation? :drink:
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
BladesofSteel
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by BladesofSteel »

A foolish one.
dbr
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by dbr »

BurningBeard wrote:
dbr wrote:Half the article was the club owner Mark Croce...
That did seem a little self serving considering how much money Kane was dropping at his establishment.

What business owner in their right mind goes out of their way to make a public comment about an ongoing rape investigation? :drink:
He also lost out on an appearance Kane had scheduled with the Stanley Cup. Which Kane set up after only having been to the club, in Croce's words, "2 or 3 times." :drink:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Pimp his ride?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Santorelli signs with Ducks.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Kings sign Ehrhoff, 1 year, $1.5M.

Will get real interesting if Richards wins his appeal.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Kings sign Ehrhoff, 1 year, $1.5M.

Will get real interesting if Richards wins his appeal.
Voynov was also released from jail and awaits immigration decision but is expected to get permission to stay in the country. Where's Trump when you need him!

If Richards wins his appeal LA will cry to Bettman that the league already agreed with them and LA acted upon that and should get relief because of that, or some such thing. :mrgreen:
Benjo
CC Veteran

Post by Benjo »

I doubt LA will get any favors after bringing Voynov out for a team skate or practice when he was on league suspension.
Jovocop
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Jovocop »

The Flames are in pretty good shape. $6.75m a year is not bad but the contract is just a bit too long. He will be 37 in the last year of the contract.
NEWS 1130 Sports ‏@NEWS1130Sports
The @NHLFlames have signed Mark Giordano to a 6yr, $40.5million deal