Men... or Baaa (sheep)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Men... or Baaa (sheep)

Post by ODB »

I'm curious to know if any of you are going to do a damn thing to send the NHL/NHLPA a message that we the fan's, won't take it anymore? I'm not judging anyone (even though the thread title infers I kinda am).

Have you forgiven and forgotten or are you still mad as hell?

This lock out pissed me off BIG TIME! None of it was necessary IMO. Both sides pounded their chest and compared dicks because they knew (or assumed) they could and we'd all come scrambling back... like a bunch-o crack heads!!!

As most of you know I don't live in an NHL market. That doesn't however prevent me from "locking-out" the NHL. For one calendar year from the day they agreed on a CBA the NHL has lost a customer. I may be the only one but I am one and they lost one. I have canceled my subscription to Center Ice. I've had CI for about 15 years. I will not buy a single piece of merchandise that will contribute a penny to HRR. Nodda fuckin penny!

I will not watch any hockey over the first week of the season (I hope the ratings TANK). I'll continue to plow my way though Breaking Bad instead. Once the season gets going I'll catch the odd game on CBC and TSN. I'll watch highlights on line. In the new year (2014) my protest (lockout) will end and maybe I'll pick up the second half of the season on Center Ice. Or maybe I won't? Maybe I'll realize I don't need to be watching 9+ hours of hockey a week. Maybe highlights and the internet will be enough. Maybe I'll realize 40 year old men wearing NHL ball caps, tee shirts or jerseys is stupid and I'll never buy another NHL product again?

They announced the agreement Sunday and I didn't finish reading the news release. Oh yes, the billionaires have finally convinced multimillionaire's to accept a 50/50 split!!! I'm so happy or no I really don't give a shit???

I'm just.... pissed.

Curious, do I stand alone?

Comments?
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Topper
CC Legend

Re: Men... or Baaa (sheep)

Post by Topper »

I decided I was't going to support them either and quite frankly, I've better things to do than spend time watching games these days. My son will be three at the end of March, we go skating a couple of times a week and play road hockey daily.

They are not role models. That is completely lost in this lockout. Fuck 'em.

I'll throw my two cents in on issues I can while not watching, but I may become the Great Open Forum Surfer boy or whatever the dayglo call it.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

ODB wrote:. like a bunch-o crack heads!!!

Curious, do I stand alone?

Comments?
I told myself no more live games after 2005 and I've stood by that. My last game was at "the garage" with the WCE for christ sake.(of course I haven't lived in VCR since 2001 but I used to travel down from wet-spank 3-4 times per year)

This time I'm not going to pay for any center ice either and no pay per view. No more NHL slippers, mugs or other gay ass crap.

I won't, however, stop watching. I am an addict and really enjoy my team as many here will also feel the same. Its been about 35+ years and I want a damn cup before I kick it!
I most definitely wont feel bad for watching PPV games on my little pirate site either.

Cheers to your crusade tho. I admire your resolve.
If you need air...call it in
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

They lost me last lockout, no CI, no jerseys since then (they never made a cent off my Johnny Canuck tatt 8-) )...glad to see you're catching up OPEE, then again, you've always licked my balls and played ketchup to me on CC :P
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Fully intend to catch games on the tube.

However, I will NOT.....

1) Purchase any merchandise, for myself or as gift.

2) Purchase a ticket.

3) Arrange my schedule so that I can watch a game.

4) Subscribe to any NHL related or affiliated product.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Mëds wrote:Fully intend to catch games on the tube.

However, I will NOT.....

2) Purchase a ticket.

all of the above for me...also...NO centre ice from Shaw for me this season
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

I'll watch the games on TV but I doubt I'll arrange life around Canuck games. I do believe the shortened season will result in some good hockey and teams can ill afford a night off, but I don't really care. I said no NHL merchandise for presents at Christmas and I'm sticking to it, I will avoid contributing to HRR as much as possible, which it pretty easy because I live in Victoria. Going to a Canuck game (2 tickets) + ferry, accomodations and food costs around a million bucks now and it just isn't worth it :crazy:
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

Mëds wrote:Fully intend to catch games on the tube.

However, I will NOT.....

2) Purchase a ticket.

This is what I'm doing for 113 days. I guess that means I'll be "back" for the playoffs (if the Canucks make it).
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ditto. I've already turned down a free ticket to go once the season starts. I'll watch the games but right now I am so disconnected to the NHL and the Canucks that if the product is shitty they will lose me until the playoffs. If the Canucks make a run I'll watch but if not it will be an early summer, again.

Once the addiction is broken I find it hard to get it back.
The only HW the Canucks need
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Hockey Widow wrote:Once the addiction is broken I find it hard to get it back.
Pffft...

Quitter.
2011..... the one that got away.
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

I was pissed off by the lockout. How could you not be, but I miss hockey and have decided that being punished by a bunch of asshole billionaires and millionaires - and then punishing myself to make a point - doesn't really interest me.

I don't live in Vancouver. I wouldn't be going to any games, but I'm not going to deny myself the simple pleasure of sitting back at home and watching a game.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

*Skyo goes in and swoops up all the season tickets, buy low, sell high!* $$$$$

wishes I could afford to do that lol
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

My daughter keeps getting me Canuck stuff And I keep not wearing any of it, but mostly cause its kinda lame at my age to be walking around in a hockey jersey and ball caps are for bald guys and should have ball team logos anyway ..
As for tv and CI, well I've been live streaming for free for a few years now,
And it's doubtful I'll be going anywhere near an NhL city in the near future so...

They'll never miss me anyway :)

But having said that I think I'd only be truly upset if I was an actual full season ticket holder...then I might want some serious sucking up from the Canucks specifically, like a lot of free beer or something.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I am also avoiding NHL and NHLPA official sponsors as much as practical. I also do not live in Vancouver, so boycotting the team is easy and minimal. But expanding to their sponsors will provide hurt the most effective way that I can.

Molson-Coors (that's easy, I avoid crappy beer anyways)
Scotiabank (not my banker)
Crappy Tire (I avoid already because their stuff is crappy)
VISA (tough one)
Kraft (oh yeah)
Timmy's (dish water)
Hershey (hit the highway)
Bell (it tolls for thee)
Reebok (easy)
Pepsi/Gatorade/Frito Lays (Cheeseburger,cheeseburger,Pepsi. No Pepsi, Coke)
Bridgestone (Goodyears and Nokians on our vehicles)
Sirius/XM (dumped XM over a year ago)
Ticketmaster (one more reason to hate these fuckers)
Cisco (boycotting for the Kid)
Compuware (anal log)
Starwood Hotels (I'll Sleep like a log somewhere else)
Enterprise Car Rental (not picking me up)
Verizon (not in my country)
McDonalds (LOL)
Honda (my genset is nearly 25 years old)
Discover (I don't need a card to explore)
Geico (exterminate the lizard)

Seems the above may not be the most current info. Check the links below.

Complete lists here

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=75916

and here

http://www.nhlpa.com/inside-nhlpa/busin ... rtnerships
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

I am a total sheep. No shame in it. I love the players, the league and the game.

Truth be told i never missed it when it was gone. I managed to make it through the winter just fine but now that it is close to being back, I couldn't be more excited.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.