Amnesty Buyout

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Amnesty Buyout

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Keith Ballard and David Booth are on the clock. If there is a season and I am cautiously optimistic there will be a 48 - 50 game scheddy, these two characters will have to amp their games up to avoid being bought out. 4.25 million each over two seasons beyond this one is a good chunk of money in a 62 million dollar cap.

I am curious does anyone know the amount of money the Italians will have to eat if/when these two guys get bought out. I'm pretty sure they can spread the money over 4 years but what is the % of cash they have to pay out?

There is no chance they buy out Roberto BTW.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Lancer
CC Legend

Re: Amnesty Buyout

Post by Lancer »

Ballard's as good as gone regardless how he does this season, otherwise Gillis may as well let Edler walk. Welcome to Buttman's 'level playing field'.

Edit: depending on the CBA, there may not be much coming out of the owners' pockets as the buyouts will come out of the players' share of HRR (which I would interpret that to mean the money would come out of their escrow - employees paying themselves out of their contracts :| ).
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya details of how it works are limited at this point but with two free passes the Canucks will be OK. Aa it stands right now we don't need to make any changes once this season starts, if it starts. We can wait until the off season before trading Luongo if we need to. Another year of the leaves tanking, Florida taking a step back or two, Philly getting frustrated once again with their keeper, and on and on the potential disasters go, and suddenly Luongo is a hot commodity again.

I now accept we won't get that home run I was hoping for but then again we will now be looking for picks or prospects.

As to whom we buy out, well if we do trade Luongo and we do re-sign Edler, we will still only need to trade one of Ballard or Booth. If we lose Edler then we can keep them both if we want. So I'd say Edler is on his last look see with us as well. Rumour before the lock out was he wanted well north of 5 million. I really don't know what that means in actual dollars but lets say he wanted between 5.5-6, this is his short season to show he deserves it. Offensively he does based upon the old CBA but defensively I would be hard pressed even then to give him that coin. Under this new CBA it will be interesting to see what he fetches.
The only HW the Canucks need
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Ballard is 100% gonzo.

We will see on Booth. He's worth 4.25 with a 70 mill cap but is over paid at that price on a 60 mill cap. He will need a big year or he is out as well.

I doubt the buy outs will be a financial issue given the net they can spend is dropping. 60 mill cap plus roughly 10 mil in buy outs is basically what they are spending now.

BTW this CBA is fucking horrible for the Canucks and virtually guarantees they will be rebuilding a few years from now.

Edler is on his last look see with us as well. Rumour before the lock out was he wanted well north of 5 million. I really don't know what that means in actual dollars but lets say he wanted between 5.5-6, this is his short season to show he deserves it.
Letting Edler go would be a disastrous mistake.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Potatoe1 wrote:
BTW this CBA is fucking horrible for the Canucks ...
But will it be good for parity? That's all that matters, right?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Cornuck wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:
BTW this CBA is fucking horrible for the Canucks ...
But will it be good for parity? That's all that matters, right?
Depends on your definition of 'parity'. If it means a 20-team playoffs where teams with mediocre records can get to the dance, where 'playoff' officiating' takes over and - how serendipitous - you see nothing but 'upsets' in favour of US midwest, southern and west coast teams, or any of Buttman's other backers then that's all that matters to Buttman.

This CBA is aimed directly at clubs like the Canucks who actually run a good ship and recruit talented people to use the rules to ice the best product. The mongoloids down south working for the fly-by-night sheister owners Buttman loves cried foul (while signing ridiculous contracts of their own to UFAs) and here we have it: Buttman's version of 'parity'. Hope you enjoy.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Seen on a news flash that the owners had offered a 63 mil cap hit. Couldn't hear what was said (I was in a restuarant) but that is a touch better than 60 mil. I don't know what has happened to my enthusiasm but I can't seem to really care if we have a season or not. I think the keague and it's officials are as crooked as a dog's hind leg so anything they do will be slanted in favour of the US based teams. I honestly don't feel a Canadian team will have a chance anymore. Hopefully my tune will change IF they ever start to play again.

<a href=http://download.cnet.com/YouTube-To-MP3 ... 10474.html >youtube to mp3</a>
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Potatoe1 wrote:
BTW this CBA is fucking horrible for the Canucks and virtually guarantees they will be rebuilding a few years from now.

Letting Edler go would be a disastrous mistake.
Trust me Pot, the dreaded R-word (Rebuild) is closer than you think, at least the new CBA speeds up the inevitable. Gillis has fucked up the futures department, first time in centuries where we have been completely void of the NEXT thing, or torch passing, thanks to Gillis terrible drafting and trading.

If there is anyone out there who thinks keeping Booth/Ballard ahead of Edler is good MGMT is completely Jack Gordon/Tom Watts fucked up in the head.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think keeping edler is by far the best move. Problem is we may not be able to, depending upon his demands.

This shortened season may be our window closing. Gotta agree with RD on this one. Lets hope there is a few players on the farm that surprise the hell out of us.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
Trust me Pot, the dreaded R-word (Rebuild) is closer than you think, at least the new CBA speeds up the inevitable. Gillis has fucked up the futures department, first time in centuries where we have been completely void of the NEXT thing, or torch passing, thanks to Gillis terrible drafting and trading.

If there is anyone out there who thinks keeping Booth/Ballard ahead of Edler is good MGMT is completely Jack Gordon/Tom Watts fucked up in the head.
Yes because teams have to be torn apart, stripped down and rebuilt....it's the only way. Detroit, NJ, Boston.... they all proved that. Oh wait they didn't .

Real forward thinking......let's keep Edler instead of Ballard/Booth.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Unless Booth has a big season I'd be tempted to buy both players out, that way you can re-sign Edler and be a bit more flexible with the Luongo trade.. yeah I'd like Nick Bjugstad and a handful of picks but if teams aren't offering sure fire NHLers to be and the Canucks can't take salary back it'll be a tough spot.

If they can get a good futures return for Luongo then buying out B&B gives the team a chance to re-sign Edler and spend $3-5m in a free agent market where that money may go further than it does when it's going to KB4 or DB7. If I recall there were some pretty good deals signed near the beginning of the last CBA.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It's simple math, our defense is questionable with Edler, not saying they are a bad group, pretty solid, but not great, but this team without Edler? We'd be screwed. Buying Booth out is a non-issue, it's a must, you would not miss Booth AT ALL where as you would definitely miss Edler's presence on the back end. You might be able to get something for Ballard in a trade.

Just curious, would we call Jensen back for the shortened training camp? IMO, Jensen is the no-brainer replacement for Booth. Much cheaper and most likely better.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I'll say it again. Burrows deal is now an albatross.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

RoyalDude wrote:Just curious, would we call Jensen back for the shortened training camp? IMO, Jensen is the no-brainer replacement for Booth. Much cheaper and most likely better.
No to the no brainer.
“@sportsnetmurph: For #canucks fans wondering, Nicklas Jensen will not be attending training camp. He'll remain in Sweden.”
2011..... the one that got away.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
No to the no brainer.
:wow: