Amnesty Buyout

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Amnesty Buyout

Post by Madcombinepilot »

It's not like he's trying to crucify Booth or nail him to the cross or anything like that
Even RD realizes that spot is already taken?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Vader wrote: C'mon, that's not fair. RD is calling it how he sees it. It's not like he's trying to crucify Booth or nail him to the cross or anything like that
Yeah, RD is just a forum decoy who's baiting everyone and hunting for reactions, that's all. No need to suffer his slings and arrows. Grin and bear it. It's all sporting right?
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mëds wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:So if Booths contract is in line with most everyone else in his age/production catagory, why are we all so willing to hunt him and skin him?
We "all" actually only consists of RD.....he's jut overly vocal so he sounds like lots of people. That and negativity always outweighs the positive when considering opinions.
Actually RD has picked up at least three finger puppets in his crusade againt David Booth,Keith Ballard, Mike Gillis and Zack Kassian. I guess he's the smartest retard on that bus. :twisted:

BTW i get the Ballard hate but not all of it can be hung on the player......I'm saying 50 % Ballard, 25 % AV, 25 % injuries. Either way after the season flip him for a 7th and move on. Doh Balltard ....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Actually RD has picked up at least three finger puppets in his crusade againt David Booth,Keith Ballard, Mike Gillis and Zack Kassian.
At last report that herd of finger-puppets was headed for a cliff! :devil:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Vader wrote:
Tciso wrote:
He's had major injuries, and has been getting 2nd line ice time and team-mates in Vancouver. He's not as good as Fleishmann or Versteeg, but he's in the same ball park as they are. His minutes/point is totally in line. Yes, he's over-paid, but only by a few hundred grand.
FLA disagrees with your assessment.

Booth is a buyout candidate. Take away his one 60 point season, and Booth is barely a forty point guy over the past 5 years, even while getting top line minutes in FLA (while the other two you mentioned significantly out-pointed him in the same role on the same team last year).
I bet gillis refuses to buy out anyone, its not good for business when it comes to attracting free agents for a start.
Plus you have to give the guy a full season with training camp before pulling the plug on the guy. What happened in Florida is another team another set of variables. Lets wait and see before throwing him under the bus eh?

Oh and yeah, R in RD stands for roman...so he'll be driving the first spike
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Vader wrote:

Booth is a buyout candidate. Take away his one 60 point season, and Booth is barely a forty point guy over the past 5 years, even while getting top line minutes in FLA (while the other two you mentioned significantly out-pointed him in the same role on the same team last year).
Give this guy the Nobel Peace Prize for having the gonads for speaking the truth about Booth in front of his biggest fan club, the CC.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

RoyalDude wrote:
Vader wrote:

Give this guy the Nobel Peace Prize for having the gonads for speaking the truth about Booth in front of his biggest fan club, the CC.

we is all one big mongoloid farm...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

the Dogsalmon wrote:
we is all one big mongoloid farm...
Damn right!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:
Vader wrote:

David Booth is a talented player who could be a first liner on some teams and whose production is not way out of line with his cap hit. In a $64m cap (and rising) environment he is not a liability at all.

When the cap is headed the other way it makes sense to look at how you could be better using your space and Booth is one of a small handful of contracts that runs past this year and could very well stop this team from making improvements (not to mention wingers with scoring ability is one of the areas where we should have a few NHL ready prospects over the next couple seasons).

I think it made sense to see what Booth had to offer last year and I think the same makes sense this year. That being said if he doesn't deliver it's worth considering using one of our get out of jail 'free' cards on his deal.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Minny and Ottawa are looking for a top 4 dman.

So Ballard & Schroeder for Kyle Brodziak!

After Minny trades KB they still have Koivu, Granlund, Cullen and Konopka to take over the center positions, still pretty rock solid.
21 - C/RW
Kyle Brodziak
Place of birth: St. Paul, Alta, Canada
Ht: 6-2 Wt: 209
Shoots: R
Salary: $1,300,000
NHL Seasons: 7
ASSETS: Is a sound defensive player with some offensive production. Can play either center or wing and gives an honest effort every shift. Sets a very good example in terms of work ethic.
FLAWS: Is a little lacking in the skating department, which limits his ability to play a scoring role at the highest level. Doesn't always use his size effectively enough, too.
CAREER POTENTIAL: Versatile complementary forward.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

dbr wrote:
David Booth is a talented player who could be a first liner on some teams and whose production is not way out of line with his cap hit. In a $64m cap (and rising) environment he is not a liability at all.

When the cap is headed the other way it makes sense to look at how you could be better using your space and Booth is one of a small handful of contracts that runs past this year and could very well stop this team from making improvements (not to mention wingers with scoring ability is one of the areas where we should have a few NHL ready prospects over the next couple seasons).

I think it made sense to see what Booth had to offer last year and I think the same makes sense this year. That being said if he doesn't deliver it's worth considering using one of our get out of jail 'free' cards on his deal.
davidboothreturns, If the cap stayed where it was when Booth signed he'd be grossly overpaid. I never understood the rational of the cap going up increasing a players value to a team. There's a reason in a $64M cap world he was given away by FLA.

You're right, he has some good tools (size, speed) , but IMO Booth has proven to be a mediocre top six player. He's average defensively and his scoring level is firmly at 40-42 points per season. At $4M and change, he's paid roughly the same as Schneider, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison, and just $750K less than Kesler. He's nowhere near as valuable to the team as those guys. He's poor value for the $$
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Vader wrote:
dbr wrote:

davidboothreturns, If the cap stayed where it was when Booth signed he'd be grossly overpaid. I never understood the rational of the cap going up increasing a players value to a team. There's a reason in a $64M cap world he was given away by FLA.

You're right, he has some good tools (size, speed) , but IMO Booth has proven to be a mediocre top six player. He's average defensively and his scoring level is firmly at 40-42 points per season. At $4M and change, he's paid roughly the same as Schneider, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison, and just $750K less than Kesler. He's nowhere near as valuable to the team as those guys. He's poor value for the $$

This!

We need to go out for beers, Vader. You are a genius. Blob Mackenzie used to be my wingman but Gillis sold him a bill of goods and it's messed him up, I don't know the man anymore.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

So why would people be salivating to buy out a guy when for one thing the clause doesn't kick in till after the season and for another thing he hasn't even played a full season with his new team and has had no PP time at all. There is also the little matter of flipping Booth for a 7th round pick or a 2 million dollar bottom pairing d man or an enforcer who is slightly overpaid. Yet people think Aquilini should just buy him out because he obviously wipes his ass with c notes. Fascinating people posting here these days.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:So why would people be salivating to buy out a guy when for one thing the clause doesn't kick in till after the season and for another thing he hasn't even played a full season with his new team and has had no PP time at all. There is also the little matter of flipping Booth for a 7th round pick or a 2 million dollar bottom pairing d man or an enforcer who is slightly overpaid. Yet people think Aquilini should just buy him out because he obviously wipes his ass with c notes. Fascinating people posting here these days.
Obviously you'd try and trade Booth first, but given that Booth was given away for basically nothing and he really hasn't done much to improve his value around the league, I'm not sure Gillis could move him without taking an undesirable contract back.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:So why would people be salivating to buy out a guy when for one thing the clause doesn't kick in till after the season and for another thing he hasn't even played a full season with his new team and has had no PP time at all. There is also the little matter of flipping Booth for a 7th round pick or a 2 million dollar bottom pairing d man or an enforcer who is slightly overpaid. Yet people think Aquilini should just buy him out because he obviously wipes his ass with c notes. Fascinating people posting here these days.
Exactly, when Lapierre and Higgins first joined the team, they were not very impressive. However, after one full training camp with the team, they performed well. Besides that, Booth was doing fine before that stupid knee-on-knee hit by Porter. Just give Booth a break, he will be fine. The same could be said about Kassian. Some players learn a new system faster than the others...