So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:TRADE HIM NOW! GET WHAT YOU CAN, in the off season. Trade him now for parts that make us better.
Gillis has backed himself into a corner here, Widowmaker. Another mishandling by Gillis.

Look around the league, there is no fit for a 34 year old Luongo. No team is screaming out WE NEED LUONGO! That is, if Gillis stops being an ass and lowers his ridiculous trade demands. Be done with it, turn the page, start a new chapter. Shite, I don't even think we could get Bozak straight up, even with how well Luongo is playing right now.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:TRADE HIM NOW! GET WHAT YOU CAN, in the off season. Trade him now for parts that make us better.
Gillis has backed himself into a corner here, Widowmaker. Another mishandling by Gillis.

Look around the league, there is no fit for a 34 year old Luongo. No team is screaming out WE NEED LUONGO! That is, if Gillis stops being an ass and lowers his ridiculous trade demands. Be done with it, turn the page, start a new chapter. Shite, I don't even think we could get Bozak straight up, even with how well Luongo is playing right now.

Well, if we are going to get shiit for him why the rush? Better to get shiit in the off season that right now.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

Well, if we are going to get shiit for him why the rush? Better to get shiit in the off season that right now.
True
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

RoyalDude wrote: Listen OKilee Dokilee, you can't have these two goalies at their salaries around past this season, keeping both for the season is fine and dandy, but to think that Gillis can swing a better deal the longer this goes on, especially this coming off-season ain't happening. Gillis needs to trade him pretty quickly here. Other GM's know that Gillis won't be able to lolligag next summer as he will have to clear the books of him.

The bottom line is, we should be keeping Luongo and we should be trying to trade Schneider.

True we would lose the leverage we have now in the offseason. But as long as Lu continues to shine the remainder of the season and dare we say long into the postseason withou any warts we will still have strong leverage no matter if Gillis needs to clear the books. That could come by way of a bidding war from the few teams that want him now and possibly from a few new suitors.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

RoyalDude wrote:

You're shitting us, right? Can't get Bozak straight up, good God man, where do you get this from? His value ain't gettin' worse after this past week and tonight. Look around the league, there are a lot of teams with absolute shit goaltending right now who'd salivate at the thought of having the kind of backstopping that Lu put on display tonight.

Even if you were right and we can't get Bozak why in the fuck would you give up Lu for anything close to or worse than him? Weigh that against what Lu's doing for us now and it makes perfect sense why Gillis is holding on to him.

The only mishandling Gillis' has done so far is making it public that he's looking to trade Lu which opened up the media circus and almost closed the door of the possibility of using both goalies this year.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Here Here, well said/written. I do like Lou, but the team had a couple of really good chances to go win a cup and Lou was a big reason why the team fell short. (re: 2011 team and I agree with the 2009 team as well).

+1

Nuckertuzzi wrote:2007 - Lu was outstanding despite the overtime blunder. The team was completely inept offensively. We had no chance, I loved his performance...no problem there.

2009 - The Hawks were deeper but that was the year I felt we really could've done something as we had some serious depth ourselves. Unfortnately that was the year when Lu's meltdowns began. Game 6 against the Hawks was an absolute killer because the team fought so hard to stay alive and the Twins and Sundin really came to life but Lu couldn't stop a puck to save his life. It was one deflating goal after another and at the worst possible times. Inexcusable when you supposedly have the better goaltender in the series.

2010 - The Hawks were an even better and deeper team and our defense was in shambles so I'll grant you that..but that's when you hope to get a spark from your goaltending and instead you get the opposite as he was equally as bad in this series as the season prior.

2011 - Third series in a row against a Hawks team where we should've had the goaltending advantage and didn't. Yet Lu managed to find a way get out of the series with a stellar Game 7...deserves praise for that but it was his horrible games in between that got us to that point.

The 8 goal Boston series argument is valid but people forget the fact that one of the biggest reasons we couldn't score is because the other goalie was doing to us exactly what I've been trying to say about what Lu should be doing more frequently to others. So what if he shuts out three games if you can't stop a beach ball in the other four...you need to win four games, right?

2012 - Lu was ok, couldn't be blamed but a few more stops could've helped. What I'd like to point out most about last years playoffs is what was the main reason the Kings won the Cup? Outstanding, reliable goaltending. Quick had a couple of so so games but recovered nicely and never let anything escalate to meltdowns. While he was simply out of this world it's proven you don't need that level of backstopping to win a Cup. But you have no chance if you get performances as volatile as Lu's. If we had just gotten one consistently good year out of him close to what Quick did, something he should be more than capable of, do you think we would still be Cupless right now with the teams we've had?

season prior.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

How about...
Phil Kessel straight up for Luongo?
Wouldja?
If you need air...call it in
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Uncle dans leg wrote:How about...
Wouldja?

No. If Gillis wants some jam....Komarov is looking like a Jarko....Jarko Ruutuu when he was good.

I still think Luo wont be traded till the deadline or maybe draft.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Uncle dans leg wrote:How about...
Wouldja?
Interesting idea. I'd probably lean towards no, but not automatically. He's having a crap start, but that's likely as much that he is trying to adapt and adhere to what Carlyle wants from him. He's a flake, little to no jam (thus the big part of my hesitation), but can score. I have no doubt he'll get a hot streak scoring. Luongo is going to have to go eventually, so you get a mid-20 something guy with a wicked shot who can score 30-40. He's a UFA after next year, so TO is likely weighing the options (does he even want to re-sign in Toronto? Do we want him back? What could we get for him now?). If/when Kesler is back, this year or next, Kesler and Kessel on the 2nd line with, say, Booth, or even Jensen next year...hmmm.
Brick Tamland
CC Veteran

Post by Brick Tamland »

CFP! wrote:
No. If Gillis wants some jam....Komarov is looking like a Jarko....Jarko Ruutuu when he was good.

I still think Luo wont be traded till the deadline or maybe draft.
+1 I watched the laughs game yesterday and all he does is hit. He'd be a fan favourite. Him alone is not enough of a return for Loungo though.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The longer this goes the more ya realize that Gillis needs to lower his demands and just get what he can for Luongo.

Luongo is a great goalie to us, but in the eyes of around the league, at his age (turning 34 this season) only a team in contention for the cup with inadequate goaltending would be mildly interested. Look around the league, there ain't a lot of those teams out there. No way Luongo and a team in rebuild mode is a good marriage. Gillis needs to entertain the idea of trading Schneider. If he does, the flood gates open in opportunities in improving this club way more than it does with trading Luongo. You'd have teams like Columbus with shite goaltending who are in rebuild mode and would love a younger goalie like Schneider to build around. They have 3 first round picks and the likes of Jenner and Johanson that maybe we could snag, yes it would be difficult since they are rebuilding. Apparently the BJ's want to make like Burke at the draft and try to get both McKinnon and Drouin using their 3 draft picks as leverage. If that's the case, give them our 1st round pick, Schneider for Johanson and Jenner and something else???
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

From Twitter:

1m Bob McKenzie Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

VAN GM Mike Gillis and asst GM Laurence Gilman taking in the WSH-PIT game today in D.C.

Hmmm... the dark horse approaches...
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:The longer this goes the more ya realize that Gillis needs to lower his demands and just get what he can for Luongo.
Yes that would be a brilliant idea......just get what you can for him. Hfboards lite here or what ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Uncle dans leg wrote:From Twitter:

1m Bob McKenzie Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

VAN GM Mike Gillis and asst GM Laurence Gilman taking in the WSH-PIT game today in D.C.

Hmmm... the dark horse approaches...
John Carlson please :)
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Can't remember both GM and asst GM ever being at an away game in the east before, especially considering the team is going to Edmonton tomorrow and the Nucks don't play either team this year.

If they are trading with the Caps (Pens have good goalie depth) I would love to see Tm Wilson as part of the return. Big, mean and over a PPG in the OHL this year.

Guess we'll know soon enough if this means anything.