So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by BurningBeard »

Reefer2 wrote:Toronto taken out 5 - 2.
Pfft... Toronto's goaltender is fine... :lol:
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

BurningBeard wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:Toronto taken out 5 - 2.
Pfft... Toronto's goaltender is fine... :lol:
Of course, they have two NHL goaltenders... :lol:
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Gillis said with the Lou trade it's going to be a hockey deal, so we are going to get a player back for him in either a prospect(s) or an NHL player(s); it's not going to be a salary dump. I'm starting to think with Luo, we should seriously look at getting someone who is a little older and has some salary attached to him. With our window to win quickly closing and Kesler being a question mark, I think we should go for someone who can score now! We have a bunch of guys who can check already (higgins, lap-dawg, malhotra, hansen, etc), we need someone who can put the puck in the back on the net. I really do not think ebbett and shroeder will cut it long term. I think we should be willing to move any of our prospects too, for the right guy. Throw in Gaunce, Jensen, Tanev, Connaughton, Corrado, Lack and/or picks if we have to. Kind of like when New Jersey went out and got Almo from us to help them win a cup. A guy who is a proven scoring threat, who can kind of fly under the radar behind the Sedins and provide true secondary scoring. And please, a guy like Geoff Sanderson or Martin Ruckinsky does not cut it.

We all know that there's only a few teams out there that could really use Lou and that he would be willing to go to.

Toronto: Bozak? (I dunno, doesn't seem like a real scoring threat) What about Van Reimsdyk, Lupal or even Kessel? We'd probably have to sweeten to pot for Van Reimsdyk. Lupul might be fair, but he's been pretty inconsistent. Kessel? hmm... might be a good fit.

Washington: Laich? he's pretty good, not sure if he's much of a scorer though. Ribero on the other hand might be good, but he's a pending UFA

Tampa: Lecavalier or St. Louis? Not sure if tampa would realy move Lecavlier cuz he's their franchise, but St, Loius? He's a bit on the small side, but the guy has always scored, might have to seriously consider him.

Chicago: Hossa: hmm.. might fit the bill quite nicely actually.

Florida: Weiss or Versteeg? They both bring diff't things to the table, they might be good fits.

Edmonton: Gagner? (I dunno, still kind of young and unproven. Kind of small for my liking too). Hemsky might be a good fit, but is he on the decline? He seems to have nice skillz, but he never seems to put up big points. Also, not sure if Luo would really want to go there.

Well, that's just me thinking out loud. I just hope we get a guy who can provide some offense, not sure I really want prospects right now. Depends on the guy I guess.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I think the teams that want Luongo typically want him to improve their club on the ice right now.. opening up a hole in your top six or down the middle or on your defense for a decent-to-strong upgrade in net isn't usually the way to do that in season.

(The other issue is that acquiring a player with a $4m+ cap hit attached to them is going to create salary cap issues as soon as next year.. basically means that either that player or a current Canuck you are going to have to move to make room for him (David Booth probably, it's probably a foregone conclusion that Ballard is on the way out already) is pretty much just a rental.

Right now it looks like the team is going to have 10 roster spots to fill next season with $9m in cap space.. buy Ballard out (or dump him in a trade) and you're still looking at 11 roster spots with $13m. With that space you have to get a backup who can give you ~20 games, re-sign Schroeder and Tanev, find another every day NHL defenseman and essentially replace your whole bottom six forward group. )

I suspect we'll see Luongo move after the season when teams are a bit more flexible. I also suspect (and hope) that the return is going to be based around either young NHL players, or players who have achieved that AHL 'dominance' that the Canucks wanted to see from prospects like Hodgson, Kassian and Schroeder before graduating from the minors.. in other words players who could be expected to compete for a spot next year. These would be players like Gustav Nyquist, Nino Niederreiter, Drew Shore, etc (not to say that I think their respective clubs are the front runners necessarily - just that those are young players producing at a high level in that league).

Those kinds of players (along with whoever is already in the organization that may be ready.. Jensen? Corrado? Maybe Kevin Connauton?) are going to be what determines whether the Canucks continue to have adequate depth or not.. bringing in a guy like Brooks Laich or Kris Versteeg just accelerates the loss of depth. Of course if we're talking about Marian Hossa or Marty St. Louis, you find a way to make room for them.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

How about:
To VCR-Filip Forsberg and Troy Brouwer

To Washington-Roberto Luongo, Brendan Gaunce and Mason Raymond

I like what Brouwer brings to a Vancouver team that needs to toughen up come April. Obviously Forsberg is the key for Vancouver as it sets them up down the middle looking forward.

As far as Washington goes, they continue with the "win now" philosophy adding a top level goalie and a half decent speedster to work into their top 6. Brendan Gaunce would help alleviate the sting of losing a top centre prospect by adding one with his own attributes for the future.

I think this move is leaning towards Vancouver a bit so tweaking or adding (see replacing Raymond with Burrows for example) would likely be needed but if Washington doesn't right the ship soon they could become desperate for the spark that this trade would likely bring.
If you need air...call it in
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Uncle dans leg wrote:How about:

I like what Brouwer brings to a Vancouver team that needs to toughen up come April. Obviously Forsberg is the key for Vancouver as it sets them up down the middle looking forward.

As far as Washington goes, they continue with the "win now" philosophy adding a top level goalie and a half decent speedster to work into their top 6. Brendan Gaunce would help alleviate the sting of losing a top centre prospect by adding one with his own attributes for the future.

I think this move is leaning towards Vancouver a bit so tweaking or adding (see replacing Raymond with Burrows for example) would likely be needed but if Washington doesn't right the ship soon they could become desperate for the spark that this trade would likely bring.
The last thing you want to do is trading away Gaunce. As a matter of fact, the Canucks need more prospects like him.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Yeah, in my opinion the Canucks need to add a prospect or two to the organization - upgrading from Gaunce to Forsberg would be great but I think with Luongo you have to end up with more depth than you started with.

I've already said it in here but I would love to get Drew Shore and a 1st (and another young-ish depth player like Matthias if possible).

Shore gives you a second big center in your prospect pool and two first round picks in the upcoming draft means you can take a real big risk with one of those picks, or if you see a great young player fall out of the top five you can maybe move both of those picks to get a shot at them.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Jovocop wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:How about:

The last thing you want to do is trading away Gaunce. As a matter of fact, the Canucks need more prospects like him.
Forsberg is looking like a future first line centre who could replace Henrik and maybe rack up 100 points a year. As good as Gaunce is looking there's really no comparison in talent. Don't get me wrong, I really like what Brendan brings but we lack high end offensive prospects like Filip Forsberg.
Gaunce is looking like a 2/3rd line centre who plays physical and could maybe score 50 points in a career year. That doubling of points down the road is huge.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

dbr wrote:Yeah, in my opinion the Canucks need to add a prospect or two to the organization - upgrading from Gaunce to Forsberg would be great but I think with Luongo you have to end up with more depth than you started with.

I've already said it in here but I would love to get Drew Shore and a 1st (and another young-ish depth player like Matthias if possible).

Shore gives you a second big center in your prospect pool and two first round picks in the upcoming draft means you can take a real big risk with one of those picks, or if you see a great young player fall out of the top five you can maybe move both of those picks to get a shot at them.
I'd say Tallon might have given up Shore but not the 1st rounder and this is maybe why there hasn't been a deal.
Florida would be stupid to trade any young assets to bring in Luongo. They don't really fit as a team that needs a 34-35 yr old starter with 10 years left on the books. Neither does Toronto to be honest.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Jovocop wrote: The last thing you want to do is trading away Gaunce. As a matter of fact, the Canucks need more prospects like him.
Forsberg is looking like a future first line centre who could replace Henrik and maybe rack up 100 points a year. As good as Gaunce is looking there's really no comparison in talent. Don't get me wrong, I really like what Brendan brings but we lack high end offensive prospects like Filip Forsberg.
Gaunce is looking like a 2/3rd line centre who plays physical and could maybe score 50 points in a career year. That doubling of points down the road is huge.
Just remember, most people projected Kesler to be nothing more than a checking center when he was drafted.

Gaunce is a natural center who has the size that none of our centers have. Don't get me wrong, a prospect like Forsberg is great. However, without a center to feed him the puck, I just can't see him racking up 100 points a year. My point is the Canucks should look to add more high end prospects without subtracting the already thin talent pool.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

While Forsberg shows a lot of skill he hasn't played a game in the NHL. He is tall enough at 6'2" but he is only 185 lbs so he is pretty thin. He may never have the physical strength to maximize his skill. Look at Raymond, much the same type of player and while he is rounding into a threat he will never be a star. Yet when we drafted him, Edmonton GM Lowe said we had picked up a potential star. So potential doesn't necessarily mean he will make it. I think MG's stated aim of younger, bigger and faster is something we should bear in mind when looking at what he is searching for. Drew Shore in my opinion fits the bill a little bit better than Forsberg and if we can get Shawn Matthias as well you take the deal. Anything else would be pure gravy.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Forsberg plays centre and wing. I understand that Gaunce has some upside but there really shouldn't be much of a comparison between these 2 players, other than 1 is bigger. Filip Forsberg is an elite prospect whereas Gaunce is a good prospect.
That said, it is always debatable how a prospect will mature and the potential of a 6'2" 215 lb 18 year old is an enticing possibility.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

armchair gm time:
Luongo, Bieksa, Raymond, 2nd rounder
for
Neuvirth, Green, Johansson

Chose Green because I see no way Carlson will be moved, great contract, tremendous upside, only 23, where as Green is injury prone, has a bigger contract, but if he stays healthy we got ourselves one of the best scoring dmen in the league - RH shot, bigrisk/high-reward type of dman.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote:armchair gm time:
Luongo, Bieksa, Raymond, 2nd rounder
for
Neuvirth, Green, Johansson

Chose Green because I see no way Carlson will be moved, great contract, tremendous upside, only 23, where as Green is injury prone, has a bigger contract, but if he stays healthy we got ourselves one of the best scoring dmen in the league - RH shot, bigrisk/high-reward type of dman.

Shit, I don't think Jack Gordon would make a trade that bad. Let's disect

We get a severe downgrade in goaltending swapping in Neuvirth for Luongo, we get an overrated smallish defenseman with a massive contract in place of Bieksa, we lose there as well. Raymond for Johansson is a wash and we give up a 2nd rounder. Shit SKYO are you on a Blobby Mack Bender at the Arms on Coast Meridian there? Fucking awful.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

How's this for a crazy trade?

Luongo, Booth and Ballard
for
Brygalov and Hartnell

I'd luv to see Harnell here. I think he's a true power forward (plays with a lot of jam, decent size and hands), but have my doubts about booth. Hartnell seemed to enjoy playing with the sedins @ the all-star game as he's a red head and they joked that now they're the triplets. Brygalov? Yeah, don't really want to take on that salary, but if they can take on some of our high priced guys, maybe it'll even things out a bit.