So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by coco_canuck »

Aaronp18 wrote: Not to mention the 58 other buyouts in the league that may increase the possible trading partners for the Canucks in the offseason.

Gillis is definitely in the drivers seat now.
Yup.

My long time wet-dream has been keeping Luongo and Schneider into perpetuity, so I have no problems keeping Luo here this year and beyond.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

coco_canuck wrote: Yup.

My long time wet-dream has been keeping Luongo and Schneider into perpetuity, so I have no problems keeping Luo here this year and beyond.
The only issue that remains is how badly Luongo wants to leave.

I'm sure he's fine playing a short season here but will he be willing to play all of next year as well. Then, IIRC, the year after that he can demand a trade.

I don't think anyone wants it to go that far though.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Aaronp18 wrote: The only issue that remains is how badly Luongo wants to leave.

I'm sure he's fine playing a short season here but will he be willing to play all of next year as well. Then, IIRC, the year after that he can demand a trade.

I don't think anyone wants it to go that far though.
Yeah, as much as I'd like to keep both, it's just not going to happen long-term.

Seems many are predicting a trade to happen before the season, but I don't think Gillis is going to be in a rush unless someone forces his hand with a good offer.

I have a difficult time predicting when a trade will happen, but my guess would be sometime during the season or in the summer.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I think the summer is probably the most natural time to try to establish a bidding war for Luongo what with the buy out window, if Mike Gillis thinks the same then a team is going to have to make a pretty compelling offer to convince him to forgo that opportunity.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Mondi wrote:Doesn't anyone think the Vancouver hockey "media" will make having Luongo here all season untenable?

Even if it shouldn't create a distraction or be a distraction in that it might actually be good for the team to have two good goalies, you have to think the daily barrage of inane questions will eventually become a distraction for both players and the team.

With the likes of Botchford, Gallagher, Russell and others who seem to enjoy the chaos, it is simply time that Luongo goes. In my view, it is for the good of the team.
If it wasn't Luongo-Schneider those guys would find something else to create chaos with. At least with this situation you know what chaos they are going to create and can mitigate it.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I'm sure eventually the team and players will freeze out any discussion of the subject (either through refusing to address it or through delivering the same stock answers each and every time) and the 'goaltending controversy' will be limited to a select few hacks making mountains out of molehills.. just like usual.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Mondi wrote:Good point.

I would LOVE to see Schneider answer question about Luongo and/or distraction with something like, "it's not a distraction for us, it's only a distraction if YOU, reporter X, make it one." Followed by a, "I won't be commenting on that topic any further as I've provided you with my answers numerous times in the past."
He kind of did that in one discussion when he told the reporter that nothing has changed from the last time they asked and no there is no issue in the dressing room. I would love to see Luongo and Schneider just tell off a reporter.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Wouldn't it be kind of funny if Cory Schneids gets injured early in the season, Nucks are forced to keep Luo and he plays like the 06-07 Luongo again and takes us back to the Stanley Cup. :P
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Wouldn't it be kind of funny if Cory Schneids gets injured early in the season, Nucks are forced to keep Luo and he plays like the 06-07 Luongo again and takes us back to the Stanley Cup. :P
Not as funny as seeing Luo get traded to Philly and playing them in the SC finals. :wow:
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think a shortened season makes keeping Luongo more palatable. The real risk of injury and fatigue have to be weighing on MG and AV's minds. The what if scenario. So it really does become a cost benefit analysis at this point. Is there anything being offered that makes us butter than if we keep Luongo in a shortened season? Maybe there are some intriguing pieces that would be good for the team moving forward but what about this year? And is the risk of injury or fatigue so great that any return would pale in comparison to the catastrophe that would be a Cory let down?

In a full season you can ride the ebbs and flows. You have time to recover from a slow start or slumps. You have time to find a suitable back up and work younger players into the line up. You have time to fill holes.

This notion that keeping both would be a distraction or cause dissension in the dressing room is crap. And I agree the team needs a way to shut the media down. Luongo has said he will be patient and do what is best for the team. HE knows and understands he won't be given away. He also has a lot of respect for Cory. Cory will not be deterred having Luongo around. Why should he? The only time it may become a problem is the playoffs if both goalies are playing at the same level and winning at the same clip. Then I could see a little controversy, like we did last year.

I like everyone else have no idea what is being offered and how much of MG's bullishness is simply bullshi!@. If we end up having to give Luongo away or trade him for less than we think he is worth I'd rather that trade happen over the summer when we have an opportunity to improve the team in different ways and hopefully grab a UFA or 2 that will have an impact on the team. A giveaway now IMO would do far more harm to the team than waiting. If MG can make a good hockey deal now, one that addresses our immediate concerns and allows us some depth for the future, then I'm all for it. But I'm not in support of a deal just to get rid of Luongo.

This new CBA helps the Canucks hold onto him now and I think that was something no one thought would happen. I at least imagined a scenario where we would have to buy guys out or make cap dumping trades before the season started. The landscape isn't like that. So I say, whats the rush now? Unless it is that "home run" type of deal? And it doesn't look like that will happen before the season starts.
The only HW the Canucks need
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Wouldn't it be kind of funny if Cory Schneids gets injured early in the season, Nucks are forced to keep Luo and he plays like the 06-07 Luongo again and takes us back to the Stanley Cup. :P
yeah. I'd laugh all the way up and down the streets naked if Lou won us a cup.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

The funny thing about the notion that RL staying for the year will create a media circus is that the Canucks are already a media circus. I don't even live there and it is easy to tell that. Look at all the posts, tweets, debates, and discussions over the signing of Cam Barker...I mean, seriously?! It's similar to way they are around here with the Red Sox. The local sports talk shows can spend all day talking about who will be the 5th starter, or the 3rd stringer catcher...it's always a circus, it's just a question of which characters are under the spotlight in the big top. I have to say, one of the reasons I am more comfortable with Lou staying for the year if that is what happens is that his attitude has been great. And, oddly, his strombone account may well have helped him present a lighter side, helping with media and fans, and helping him relax a little.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: This new CBA helps the Canucks hold onto him now and I think that was something no one thought would happen. I at least imagined a scenario where we would have to buy guys out or make cap dumping trades before the season started. The landscape isn't like that. So I say, whats the rush now? Unless it is that "home run" type of deal? And it doesn't look like that will happen before the season starts.
+1.

Moving Luongo doesn't make a whole lot of sense, unless the return is great. We would need a capable backup for Schneider. We still need a fill-in at second line Centre, and it would be nice to add some youth in a deal. I don't think you're going to check all those boxes while getting adequate return. Sure, you could probably get Bozak, Reimer and Ashton... is that really what we're after for a goalie of Lou's calibre? A borderline 2nd C, a backup goalie and a mid-prospect? I think we can do better.

Dealing Luongo now might help mitigate the loss of Kesler, but it just creates another hole (albeit in a less important spot) in goal. I also can't help but think the best package might come out of Philly in the summer, if Bryzgalov shits the bed again this season...
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:I think a shortened season makes keeping Luongo more palatable. The real risk of injury and fatigue have to be weighing on MG and AV's minds. The what if scenario. So it really does become a cost benefit analysis at this point. Is there anything being offered that makes us butter than if we keep Luongo in a shortened season? Maybe there are some intriguing pieces that would be good for the team moving forward but what about this year? And is the risk of injury or fatigue so great that any return would pale in comparison to the catastrophe that would be a Cory let down?

In a full season you can ride the ebbs and flows. You have time to recover from a slow start or slumps. You have time to find a suitable back up and work younger players into the line up. You have time to fill holes.

This notion that keeping both would be a distraction or cause dissension in the dressing room is crap. And I agree the team needs a way to shut the media down. Luongo has said he will be patient and do what is best for the team. HE knows and understands he won't be given away. He also has a lot of respect for Cory. Cory will not be deterred having Luongo around. Why should he? The only time it may become a problem is the playoffs if both goalies are playing at the same level and winning at the same clip. Then I could see a little controversy, like we did last year.

I like everyone else have no idea what is being offered and how much of MG's bullishness is simply bullshi!@. If we end up having to give Luongo away or trade him for less than we think he is worth I'd rather that trade happen over the summer when we have an opportunity to improve the team in different ways and hopefully grab a UFA or 2 that will have an impact on the team. A giveaway now IMO would do far more harm to the team than waiting. If MG can make a good hockey deal now, one that addresses our immediate concerns and allows us some depth for the future, then I'm all for it. But I'm not in support of a deal just to get rid of Luongo.

This new CBA helps the Canucks hold onto him now and I think that was something no one thought would happen. I at least imagined a scenario where we would have to buy guys out or make cap dumping trades before the season started. The landscape isn't like that. So I say, whats the rush now? Unless it is that "home run" type of deal? And it doesn't look like that will happen before the season starts.
I'm not sure I agree with this - and my reasoning is why have two top-notch goalies when only one can play? Yes I know for injury reasons, but I think I would much rather turn that other goalie into a center, winger od dman who will play every night and contribute. I don't think it's a great use of assets to have $10 million in salaries and two really good assets when only one can play at a time.

Lu will also be 34 when next season starts, meaning his value isn't going to be going up. If I'm Gillis I trade him for the best I can get before this season starts, or very shortly after it begins. Not saying that's what he will do, but that's what I think I would do in his position.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Diehard1 wrote: I'm not sure I agree with this - and my reasoning is why have two top-notch goalies when only one can play? Yes I know for injury reasons, but I think I would much rather turn that other goalie into a center, winger od dman who will play every night and contribute. I don't think it's a great use of assets to have $10 million in salaries and two really good assets when only one can play at a time.

Lu will also be 34 when next season starts, meaning his value isn't going to be going up. If I'm Gillis I trade him for the best I can get before this season starts, or very shortly after it begins. Not saying that's what he will do, but that's what I think I would do in his position.

Well, like I said, if MG can hit the home run now and get a centre, winger and d'man that can play every night and contribute, I am all for the trade. I'm just not sure that is what we will see right now and in the absence of a trade like that I'd rather keep Luongo until the summer.
The only HW the Canucks need