So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by ukcanuck »

BingoTough wrote:
Topper wrote:If a competition is allowed, it will be one hell of a fight for the starting job, but at the end of the day, I doubt either will have hard feelings towards the other about not starting.
My worry is AV, who has shown repeatedly that he plays favourites. It wasn't like RL spent long periods on the bench while CS got game after game after game. 2 games in the LA series does not indicate AV has more faith in Schneids. It says to me "What have I got to lose? Might as well give the kid some experience. Nobody comes back from 3-0 down, and if he does, we're in the second round!"

What if he still prefers Roberto and gives Corey less games? Then we've lost RL and Corey's pissed at the coach.

Ooops.
Make it black and white, each guy gets 24 games, no back to backs regardless of the score in the game before, or how they play. unless the score goes above 5 goals, no goalie change. It's 1a and 1b and both need to be at the top of their game come play offs. The guy with the record and hot hand starts game one, round one...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Anyone who thinks that either Cory or Lou would be pissed with one season of platooning if it made the team stronger and better able to contend doesn't really know either player. If the situation were to have been from day one, i.e., no lock out then it would have been different. But the sprint to the playoffs and the playoffs themselves are what the players get up for. Not the doldrums of training camp, Oct, Nov and Dec. I think with this shortened season both guys would play their hearts out and do whatever is best for the team. At season's end it is a different story. But winning is first and foremost and if the best chance to win the cup is with both goalies then I doubt either would be too pissed about that.

Still, I think MG tries to move Luongo in the next couple of weeks but if he can't I think he rides the season with both. Especially if rumours are true that teams with cap problems are interested but need the summer buy out to make it work.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Personally I feel Lu Wongo will be traded within 48 hours.

Everyone involved in a potential trade has had plenty of time to think about it.

I still say he's going to Florida.

How about something like THIS:

Luongo, Raymond, Schroeder, conditional 2nd (if Weiss re-signs).

FOR

Weiss (rental: UFA in 6 months), Upshall (salary dump), Petrovic, Theodore (rental: UFA in 6 months).

While Kesler is out:

Dank - Hank - Burr
Booth - Weiss - Upshall
Higgins - Lappy - Hansen
Weise - Manny - Kassian
Ebbett
Volpatti

Hammy - Bieksa
Garrison - Edler
Ballard - Tanev
Alberts
Petrovic
Corrado

Schneids
Theodore

When Kesler is back:

Dank - Hank - Burr
Booth - Weiss - Upshall
Higgins - *Kesler - Kassian
Lappy - Manny - Hansen
Ebbett
Weise
Volpatti

*obviously Kessler (#1 PP, #1 PK) would get more icetime than Weiss. 2nd/3rd lines would get similar ES icetime.

I've always loved Upshall's game (he has had trouble staying healthy though), but we could use the get-out-of-jail-free buyout in the summer on either/both Upshall/Booth if needs-be. Weiss has experience playing with Booth + Upshall. Ballard gets traded post-season....

:drink:

*goes back to taking down Christmas decorations*
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

^Have to think that gets the deal done as far as Van goes but FLA then all of a sudden has nobody to centre the top line. They need Weiss too much to see that one happen.
I would think replacing Weiss with a Howden or Shore type prospect is more likely. They had a decent second half and playoffs last season and if they are indeed ready to buck up for Luongo, they would be looking to win now and likely adding key pieces for a run.
If you need air...call it in
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

So really, do we want to deal with FLA AGAIN????

I mean sure, this would be theoretically the best return, but man....Again????? Whats that like 5 trades in 8 yrs????
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: ^Have to think that gets the deal done as far as Van goes but FLA then all of a sudden has nobody to centre the top line. They need Weiss too much to see that one happen.
Yeah I guess you're right Dan.

On the Panthers right now Weiss is the closest thing to #1 centre they have..

Plus was just reading at a Panthers site, apparently both Goc and Matthias are kinda hobbled right now.

Yeah, they pretty much need to hang onto Weiss at this point, even if they lose him for nothing in July.

Obviously they have a bunch of possible young top 6 centres coming up soon enough.

Huberdeau this year, followed by Shore, Bjugstad, Grimaldi, Howden (he might play wing).

*does the math*

Actually, they have WAY TOO MANY possible young top 6 centres coming up! :shock:

Hey, maybe we can help them bring some balance to that team. :wink:
Uncle dans leg wrote: I would think replacing Weiss with a Howden or Shore type prospect is more likely. They had a decent second half and playoffs last season and if they are indeed ready to buck up for Luongo, they would be looking to win now and likely adding key pieces for a run.
Y'know what Dan, I'm starting to believe Luongo+ could land both Shore and Petrovic

(part of that + might hafta be taking the mangled Upshall and buying him out in the summer).

Those Panthers have more young studs in their system than they know what to do with! :D

Last edited by Strangelove on Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

CFP! wrote: So really, do we want to deal with FLA AGAIN????

I mean sure, this would be theoretically the best return, but man....Again????? Whats that like 5 trades in 8 yrs????
*eyes glaze over*

Must trade with Florida, must trade with Florida…..

*snaps out of it*

Yeah it’s odd how many trades these two teams have made.

But hey we’ve been pretty lucky in the ones involving Luongo, amirite? :mex:

I figure Gillis wants to do the classy thing and send Lou home.

I figure the Panther’s upper-management wants Lou cuz he sells tickets.

I figure these two teams are good trade-partners right now.

I figure they’ve had plenty of time to figure a fair trade.

I figure they’re getting ready to pull the trigger as we speak!!

But hey I’ve been wrong before Cookie. :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I guess teams can start trading pretty quick, I'd laugh a lot like a geek if Luongo got traded tonight. :lol:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote:I guess teams can start trading pretty quick, I'd laugh a lot like a geek if Luongo got traded tonight. :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

@strombone1
Guys I've just been dealt........... POCKET ACES! #latenightpoker
:lol:

Y'gotta love the guy....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Ropesauce
CC Rookie

Post by Ropesauce »

Hockey Widow wrote:Anyone who thinks that either Cory or Lou would be pissed with one season of platooning if it made the team stronger and better able to contend doesn't really know either player. ....... But the sprint to the playoffs and the playoffs themselves are what the players get up for. Not the doldrums of training camp, Oct, Nov and Dec. I think with this shortened season both guys would play their hearts out and do whatever is best for the team. At season's end it is a different story. But winning is first and foremost and if the best chance to win the cup is with both goalies then I doubt either would be too pissed about that.
I think waiting til seasons end is a good bet as any,TO doesn't have the necessary pieces for a meaningful trade and
I can't see the panthers parting with Weiss.My dream scenario has lou and Schneider playing lights out and taking the team deep into the playoffs catapulting lou's value,Bryz tanking (again) in Philly and a summer trade for Couturier giving us a much needed top notch young Center
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Y'know, a lot of people have been talking about trading Luo NOW or trading him AFTER the season but not a lot are talking about Luo being traded at the TRADE deadline which kinda actually makes the most sense....just SprAYING 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
mpp
CC Veteran

Post by mpp »

This isn't about Bobby Lou per se, but... did you notice how Dan Ellis was not in the Checkers lineup last evening? He started last Sunday and, barring injury, there is no reason for his absence. If the rumors linking him to the Canucks were true... It should mean a Canuck goalie is as good as gone.

Obviously Ellis could simply sign elsewhere this Sunday, which would also explain his absence. We will know soon enough.
mpp
CC Veteran

Post by mpp »

mpp wrote: Obviously Ellis could simply sign elsewhere this Sunday, which would also explain his absence. We will know soon enough.
Poof! ;)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Here is my prediction. The leaves will play the whole season with those shit bag keepers they got there now. With the shortened season, and lottery set up for the 2013 Draft in that all 14 non playoff teams get a chance at the no. 1 pick, Nonis being the smart man he is knows that it would be no big deal tanking the year in a shortened lame NHL season , I'm sure the leaves fans and media will not wet their collective beds if the leaves missed another playoff. Nonis knows this. Nonis will make a feeble attempt at Luongo but his offer will be shite, "take it or leave it". Knowing how stubborn baggy eyes, Moneyballer is, Gillis turns the deal down. The leaves end up with a top 6 pick, Nonis the great drafting record he has, will walkaway with a beaut to start the re-build program in T.O.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau