So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by okcanuck »

I'm with HW on this .Unless we hit a home run with Luongo I say theres nothing wrong having both of them for this shortened season. I was not impressed with Corys play in Europe. What happens if he shits the bed at the start of this season? At least weve got a fall-back position with Lou there.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Let down your golden hair HW for Luongo will be Lagonzo before you can say Repunzel
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Hockey Widow wrote:

Well, like I said, if MG can hit the home run now and get a centre, winger and d'man that can play every night and contribute, I am all for the trade. I'm just not sure that is what we will see right now and in the absence of a trade like that I'd rather keep Luongo until the summer.
Hello all :). Good to have hockey back.

This is my preference as well. Trading Luo means performing major surgery on a team in a season with zero margin for error. The current team already knows how to play when Luo and Schneid is between the pipes. The on-ice communication between our core forwards/defense/goalie is already established and familiar. Unless GMMG hits a home run, I'd prefer to roll the dice with the status quo and do our major trades next summer so we have a full pre and reg season to iron out the kinks.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

mathonwy wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

Well, like I said, if MG can hit the home run now and get a centre, winger and d'man that can play every night and contribute, I am all for the trade. I'm just not sure that is what we will see right now and in the absence of a trade like that I'd rather keep Luongo until the summer.
Hello all :). Good to have hockey back.

This is my preference as well. Trading Luo means performing major surgery on a team in a season with zero margin for error. The current team already knows how to play when Luo and Schneid is between the pipes. The on-ice communication between our core forwards/defense/goalie is already established and familiar. Unless GMMG hits a home run, I'd prefer to roll the dice with the status quo and do our major trades next summer so we have a full pre and reg season to iron out the kinks.
You do remember how the last 30 or so games of the regular season and playoffs went for us last season do you. We couldn't score not too mention in that time we had worst Power Play in the league. With Kesler out, scoring will be the much worse, are we expecting Lou and Schneids to save the day again? Here we come 1-0, 1-1,2-1 games. WOOOHOOOO
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I was talking to a buddy today and told him my prediction, which is Luongo stays this year and gets slightly more starts than Cory, around 25-30 GP in a shortened season. My buddy said Gillis announced that Cory was the starter when he got the new contract, but I don't recall that ever happening, has anybody heard an official statement that Cory is the starter? My recollection is Gillis said something to the effect of Cory is the future, but not that he's the "starter" if Luongo doesn't get moved.

I'd love to see Luongo stay, maybe even get the easier opponents like Cory has the last 2 years. That way you get a gauge of Cory's ability against top teams (yes I remember Boston and Chicago, two games out 50+ that he faced top opponents and won), as well as boost Luongo's trade value.

So I predict, Hodgsoning the shit out of Luongo, keep him until the market opens up post-buyouts and get the best return from a team other than Florida or Toronto.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

RoyalDude wrote:
You do remember how the last 30 or so games of the regular season and playoffs went for us last season do you. We couldn't score not too mention in that time we had worst Power Play in the league. With Kesler out, scoring will be the much worse, are we expecting Lou and Schneids to save the day again? Here we come 1-0, 1-1,2-1 games. WOOOHOOOO
Of course I remember. :)

I also remember remarking how tired the Nucks looked from top to bottom. Burr was doing absolutely nothing and lost his spot on the top line. Kes was playing injured and was a shadow of the player that we know he could be. Booth was skating around in circles really fast and also going nowhere really fast. We weren't getting any production from our defense). We became a one line team and as much as I love the Sedins, their shoulders aren't broad enough to shoulder an entire team. Despite all of that, our goaltending was solid as a rock.

Fast forward to today. We have the same core (minus Salo) and I expect Kesler to come back 100%. For me, it's about risk and reward and I just don't see this shortened season being the right time to make a major change to the team.

What's the downside of not trading Luo this season? I don't see a significant one. Yeah there is the media created goaltender controversy yadda yadda bullshit but at the end of the day, these guys are pros and they were one fucking game away from glory. I'm sure the players will be completely ok if Luo isn't traded.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Gillis only needs to hit a single as long as he cashes in a couple ducks. Hitting a home run is a crack pipe dream. You are trading a goalie who has had great regular seasons and is a horse. He is also 33 , signed for ten more seasons and has a pretty spotty record in big games. Hanging onto him for the whole year or beyond is asinine for several reasons. For one he could play lousy and start the descent into being a mediocre goalie and you are stuck with a big salary and nowhere to bury it. For another it could be a mindfuck to the kid the team would like to get behind and move forward with.

If someone can provide the Canucks with a young centre with upside who can immediately play in the top 9, a good young prospect and a 2nd rounder or a 2014 1st rounder he should be all over that trade. The longer the team hangs onto Roberto the worse it may get.

I would take Mathias , Shore/Petrovic and a 2nd or a 2014 1st.The leaves have little I am interested in unless they part with Jake the Snake. It isn't getting any better than that. People thinking we will get a Huberdeau or Coutourier or Rielly need to check themselves.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: need to check themselves.
...before they wreck themselves
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Gillis only needs to hit a single as long as he cashes in a couple ducks. Hitting a home run is a crack pipe dream. You are trading a goalie who has had great regular seasons and is a horse. He is also 33 , signed for ten more seasons and has a pretty spotty record in big games. Hanging onto him for the whole year or beyond is asinine for several reasons.

Blob Mckenzie wrote: For one he could play lousy and start the descent into being a mediocre goalie and you are stuck with a big salary and nowhere to bury it.
I see no evidence of Luo's descent into mediocrity. If shitty goaltending was the reason why we got bounced by the Kings last playoffs, your reason might have some legs. But... it wasn't.

Blob Mckenzie wrote: For another it could be a mindfuck to the kid the team would like to get behind and move forward with.
Schneid is 26 years old and is unflappable when between the pipes. He got the difficult starts last season and proved himself starter worthy. This "mindfuck" isn't going to happen. Period. End of paragraph.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Bold Move, Blobby...BOLD MOVE! Where is this Bold Move that we keep hearing about? Gillis needs to start swinging for the fences instead of these lame ass love taps he keeps killing us with. I'm talking something along the lines of a 3-way deal that involves Jamie Benn coming here. End of story. Benn gives our 2nd line that missing ingredient on the wing that we currently lack.

This is the kind of visionary bold moves I am talking about B-Mac - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQyXeLSL0II
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mathonwy.....Luongo isn't getting any younger.90 % of NHL players slide pretty quickly at 34, so why hold onto a depreciating asset? The Canucks as currently constructed have a hole in the middle and on the 2nd line RW position REGARDLESS if Ryan Kesler is healthy or not. They NEED a top 9 centre who can provide more offence than Max Lapierre and they NEED a 2nd line RW who can score 20 goals + and also pass the puck. Hanging onto Luongo is a retarded move if a good hockey trade can be made. I agree it's dumb to let him go for peanut crumbs, but if you think Gillis is going to hit a grand slam then i have to say the sacks aint drunk but the fans are. Go get yourself a gut bomb at Dennys if it's a home run you're looking for.

As for CS his natural progression is to actually have the number one spot and be trated like a number one goalie not having Luongo hanging over his shoulder like some fucking vulture. The media circus alone in this city will make it unbearable for both goalies and the team. Time to make a deal if a good one is there.

THINK about it. ;)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mmmmmmm...... peanut crumbs. :blush:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:People thinking we will get a Huberdeau or Coutourier or Rielly need to check themselves.
That is why I'd toss Burrows in the deal. It would also free up one of the two buyouts.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:People thinking we will get a Huberdeau or Coutourier or Rielly need to check themselves.
That is why I'd toss Burrows in the deal. It would also free up one of the two buyouts.
Now you're talking partial rebuild. Not opposed to sweeting the Luongo trade on this end if a future stud can be mined from wherever Luongo goes, but losing Burr at this point had best return a couple of young assets that slot top 9 right away and eventually are surefire top 6 forwards.

Keep in mind Booth looks like he could miss some time. If there ever was a year for the wheels to fall off this would be it I guess.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Gillis only needs to hit a single as long as he cashes in a couple ducks. Hitting a home run is a crack pipe dream. You are trading a goalie who has had great regular seasons and is a horse. He is also 33 , signed for ten more seasons and has a pretty spotty record in big games. Hanging onto him for the whole year or beyond is asinine for several reasons. For one he could play lousy and start the descent into being a mediocre goalie and you are stuck with a big salary and nowhere to bury it. For another it could be a mindfuck to the kid the team would like to get behind and move forward with.

If someone can provide the Canucks with a young centre with upside who can immediately play in the top 9, a good young prospect and a 2nd rounder or a 2014 1st rounder he should be all over that trade. The longer the team hangs onto Roberto the worse it may get.

I would take Mathias , Shore/Petrovic and a 2nd or a 2014 1st.The leaves have little I am interested in unless they part with Jake the Snake. It isn't getting any better than that. People thinking we will get a Huberdeau or Coutourier or Rielly need to check themselves.
This to me is the home run. So ya, if MG can get that then go for it but if not I say hang onto Luongo.
The only HW the Canucks need